Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cost/Mexico question

I have been researching doctors in Mexico...while cost is the factor in choosing Mexico, I also am researching doctors because I am not going to setlle for the cheapest I find, if he does not meet certain criteria. I have just about decided to go with Dr. Arturo Rodriguez in Monterrey. I found him at a website called Lap band surgery - Gastric Banding - Grupo Endro-Bariatrico Mexico . I have heard from his patient facilitator, and she gave me a price of $7900. On this forum, I noticed an ad for Gastric Bypass Weight Loss Surgery, Mexico - The Bariatric Group for $6500. I went to their website, and clicked on their doctors tab, but did not find names for their doctors. Well, I then began reading testimonials and they mention Dr. Arturo Rodriguez by name. So, my quesiton is...is he associated with 2 different groups in Monterrey, or does his group have multiple websites? Has anyone mentioned this ad when settingup their appointment? Did you get a better price than the $7900? Thanks for any advice you can give me! Tonya

I went to Dr. R and cannot say enough great things about him--he and his entire staff are wonderful!

I paid the 7900--think that is the right price--his website is Lap band surgery - Gastric Banding - Grupo Endro-Bariatrico Mexico The other site you mentioned isn't his.

If you want more info from other people who have used him--go to his forum--or feel free to contact me

Dr. Rodriguez is supposed to be one of the first surgeons to start performing lap band surgery. He's a very able surgeon from what I have heard and Mellis has also corroborated in the above post what I have heard. Here's where I got Dr. Rodriguez brief profile: Dr. Arturo Rodriguez - Bariatric Surgery (lap band, gastric sleeve, gastric bypass, revision surgery) in Mexico

The website also has some info about lap band costs and procedure and they list Dr. Rodriguez as one of their associated surgeons. I found it here: Cost of Lap Band Surgery | Mexico, Costa Rica, India, Belgium | Lap Band Specials |Price of Gastric Band Packages| Lap Band Surgery Cost

Dr. Rodriguez is supposed to be one of the first surgeons to start performing lap band surgery. He's a very able surgeon from what I have heard and Mellis has also corroborated in the above post what I have heard. Here's where I got Dr. Rodriguez brief profile: Dr. Arturo Rodriguez - Bariatric Surgery (lap band, gastric sleeve, gastric bypass, revision surgery) in Mexico

The website also has some info about lap band costs and procedure and they list Dr. Rodriguez as one of their associated surgeons. I found it here: Cost of Lap Band Surgery | Mexico, Costa Rica, India, Belgium | Lap Band Specials |Price of Gastric Band Packages| Lap Band Surgery Cost

No way would I go to him. Not a chance. He has a 20% erosion stat he doesn't mention.

Banded on 11/08. I went with Jose Rodriguez in Juarez, Mexico which cost $7500 and I was very pleased by the services, staff and the entire coordination of the surgery. I received all of the necessary paperwork and x-rays to do my fills in the US.

No way would I go to him. Not a chance. He has a 20% erosion stat he doesn't mention.

That is sure a change from what you were saying a year ago. In fact, you were telling me that he helped you with a problem even though he wasn't your doctor.

I have checked, and he does NOT have a 20% erosian stat--so you must be talking about someone else.

Yes, there are alot of good mexican doctors, but we have to be very careful with who to go, the most experienced doctors in Mexico are:

Dr. Ortiz - Tijuana - Lap Band Surgery in Mexico - Dr. Ariel Ortiz at the Obesity Control Center

Dr. Ramos Kelly - Tijuana - http://www.wlsclinic.com/

Dr. Corvala - Tijuana - Lap Band Low Cost Surgery | Dr. Juan A. Lopez Corvala | Lap Band Surgery | INAMED Certified Surgeon

Dr. Aceves - Mexicali - Untitled Document

Dr. Rodriguez - Monterrey - Lap Band, Lap Band Surgery, Lap Band Mexico

you can also use this as a reference on how to choose a mexican doctor:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f11/researching-mexican-lap-band-doctors-101-a-66635/

I had my surgery on August 29, 08 by Jose Rodriguez in Juarez, Mexico. Dr. Rod, the hospital staff, and the hospital were great. He answered every question I had before the surgery. The hospital has modern, up to date equipment, and the hospital was very clean. The nursing staff was great and some of the nurses also worked in the hospital across the border in the U.S. I left with xrays, surgery report, and any other information need for my fills in the U.S.

My cost for the total package was $7,000.00 and was with Betalite. My facilitator was great, answered all questions and helped me with all forms.

I haven't regretted going to Mexico for my banding and would do it again.

Pam

That is sure a change from what you were saying a year ago. In fact, you were telling me that he helped you with a problem even though he wasn't your doctor.

I have checked, and he does NOT have a 20% erosian stat--so you must be talking about someone else.

This is absolutely true. This was also before new information came to light.

Check out OH boards, the MD profile. Look at his revisions, those are band removals from his erosion stats. 300 or somewhere around there.

He and Sanchez used to make their own bands, it was referred to as the Mexican band. Over 50% eroded yet... they kept making and placing them anyway until Sanchez was murdered a few years ago.

He also used to claim he was FACS, when OH verified this information they removed the F.A.C.S. from his profile since he apparently fibbed. He is not FACS and that goes for credibility. One just does not claim an affiliation that huge, one that is earned when in fact, it was not earned.

Wasa

There is not a true piece in anything you said! I don't know where you think your facts are coming from, other than made up in your own brain. You cannot provide any documentation for any of your allegations--because they are false. If you could, you would provide them, other than just throwing statements out there and trying to scare people. Dr. R goes all over the world teaching and is considered one of the best in the world and one of the innovators of the surgery.

The fact is, you are a coordinator for Dr Aceves--who pretends to be trying to help people with your "facts"--but instead you are just trying to scare them to your dr. And even though you rant and rave about other coordinators, you are no better and worse than most of them.

And in the interest of fairness, I am working with Dr R--but I don't go around bashing everyone else. I think there are enough patients and enough dr's to go around--and that each person has to find the dr that is the right fit for them.

Let me try to help you with some doctors whose last name is Rodriguez. Rodriguez is a common name in Mexico. The doctor that performed my surgery is Dr. Jose V. Rodriguez in Juarez, Mexico, and NOT Arturo Rodriguez. Definitely two different doctors.

You can check out the website for Dr. Rob at: www.belitemexico.com

On this website, you will see actual pictures of the facilities, and I can vouch that this is the hospital I was in. You can judge for yourself. It was as new, well kept, moder, and very clean facility. My husband stayed with me every second, except in the surgery room itself. That is not any different that the U.S. He had a bed that was beside my bed and the nurses included him in on everything they were doing.

You are going to have to make up your own mind. There are definitely people who are on this site that can tell horror stories, but the decision is still up to you. Do your homework. I did and that is why I went to Juarez, Mexico.

One of the main reason I also chose Juarez is the cost. I have very good insurance, but it does not cover any form of bariatic procedures. Even if you are in the worst stage of obese. I could not afford the US prices, which everyone on here knows the price. I am no on Medicare or Medicade, therefore, I knew I had to go the alternate route. I had my band put on August 29, 2008 and almost 4 months and do not have any problems. I also have the card that shows the kind of lap band, the style, the total number of cc of the band, and the serial numbers. The band was made in the U.S.

I hope this help, but again I reinaterate that you have to make your own decision and not let anyone sway you different. The only suggestion I give is DO YOUR HOMEWORK!!!

Wasa

There is not a true piece in anything you said! I don't know where you think your facts are coming from, other than made up in your own brain. You cannot provide any documentation for any of your allegations--because they are false. If you could, you would provide them, other than just throwing statements out there and trying to scare people. Dr. R goes all over the world teaching and is considered one of the best in the world and one of the innovators of the surgery.

The fact is, you are a coordinator for Dr Aceves--who pretends to be trying to help people with your "facts"--but instead you are just trying to scare them to your dr. And even though you rant and rave about other coordinators, you are no better and worse than most of them.

And in the interest of fairness, I am working with Dr R--but I don't go around bashing everyone else. I think there are enough patients and enough dr's to go around--and that each person has to find the dr that is the right fit for them.

Spoken like a true coordinator. I should have figured that one out a long time ago.

I got my info from Arturo. Deal with it. Why don't you ask him about the infamous Mexican band, go ahead. See if your boss will be honest with you. It wasn't exactly a secret at the time they were doing it. They did not claim to place Inamed bands, they were honest... it was the Mexican band. Arturo never hid the fact, Sanchez never hid the fact. Then according to Arturo they had to remove over 50% of the bands due to erosion and they STILL kept placing them.

I work in Home Health. You can throw around anything you wish if you think it will get the focus off of Rodriguez but it doesn't change the facts.

I've been around here for a long time now and I have a rep of being blunt and to the point. I do not have a rep for being a liar. If I am a coordinator for Aceves why do I say that Rumbaut and Zapata are excellent surgeons too? Wouldn't Aceves fire me for suggesting other doctors? You know, unlike what you do?

I have ALWAYS been very clear, very open, and very honest about my opinions and who is good and who isn't, and why they are good or not good. Truth is, your doc just doesn't have the best of reps.

Your boss even called my doc quite some time ago asking him to tell his "coordinator" to stop posting about our telephone conversation. My doc couldn't figure out what he was talking about. Finally Arturo explained who I was, Dr. Aceves explained that I am not a coordinator, I am a patient and he has little control over what his patients post.

You'll just have to deal with it, the reality isn't going to change because you don't like it.

it is not appropriate to post a personal/private email that someone sent you

Edited by Oregondaisy
personal email deleted by request from sender. not appropriate for posting