Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"I Can Make You Thin" on TLC channel

My cousin called me about this earlier today and said she was going to watch it. It will also be on at 11:00 (Central Time) tonight. I started watching it and this guy is preaching EXACTLY what we as lapbanders are supposed to be doing....If you are hungrey, EAT.....Eat what you WANT....Eat CONSCIOUSLY (put utensils down between bites, chew each mouthful 20 times and savor the food), and When you THINK you might be getting full, STOP. As he said, most people eat according to what they SEE. They did an experiment with people in a diner. All ordered a large Breakfast the first day and finished it completely. Second day they had the same breakfast but ate it blindfolded, and ALL left food (some a LOT) on their plates. (I am sitting here listening to this and thinking this guy is DEAD on right. We have the help of our tool, but if folks can really take to heart the methods, anyone can eat less doing this.) The show just started today and will run for some weeks. I would recommend checking it out. I will be interested in seeing what the coming weeks hold. I agree with what he is saying about eating what you want. He says healthy people eat ANYTHING they want....the trick is they don't OVERDO it. They eat chocolate, they eat pizza, they eat macaroni and cheese.... I have always treated this NOT like a diet. I eat what I want and when I want, but I find I eat so LITTLE of it I don't have the repercussions I used to have from eating. Subsequently, I don't deprive myself, therefore I don't feel like I need to binge. I get the satisfaction of the foods I LOVE, but on a greatly tempered scale.< /p>

Interesting........I just looked on my guide and I must have missed the first show, but it's showing again at 12:00am, so I programmed it to record. That does sound like an interesting show. I'll comment about it after I watch it.

Next week is how to curb emotional eating. I think that pretty much encompasses the majority of us here. I will be very interested to watch.

Me too, Jack. Love the "Little Angel of Silicon Fist" :mad2:

I saw it last night and was thinking the same thing - how apropos to lap banding. He's right - if you listen to your body and give it time to tell you you've had enough (rather than eating everything that is plunked in front of you) - you will lose weight. The trick is paying attention. Setting down that fork or unprying your fingers from the sandwhich between bites. I don't know if I could have been that mindful before the band.

I got excited after I saw it because my DH needs to lose 100 pounds and is NOT getting a band. He eats WAY too fast (which is why I gained weight after I married him). If he can apply the rules, I know he could lose weight. There is no way I could get him to weigh and measure things, but mindful eating just might be doable....

Well, I watched the show and it definitely makes sense. I am going to continue recording the shows and watch all of them. He is basically telling them to do what we, as bandsters, already do. People without the band would definitely have a harder time stopping we they think they are full. That's why I love my band so much!!

I tend to fall in the category of most "dieters", in that I do deprive myself of certain foods. After a while of depriving myself, I usually do fall off the wagon for a while. That is something I could definitely try to do different, just to see what happens. All in all, I thought the show was very interesting. I'm interested to see what happens next week.