Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gas after eating?

Hi everyone. This is a wierd question. I was banded on Feb 10th. I am still on some mushies, but I notice that right after I eat a meal I have gas...I never was a gasy person before the surgery. Has anyone else experienced this, or could there be something wrong?

Betty is right. After the band, it is scary how normal it is to be farting and burping. The thread she is talking about is really funny. You mention that you are still on mushies. I was banded on 2/16 and today I started solids. Is there a reason why you are only on mushies? Are you having trouble eating?

Gas before, during, and after. I could never burp pre-band because of my hiatal hernia, but I can let out a pretty impressive one after a meal. It's inevitable, so you may as well find a way to enjoy it!

HI again! Well the reason I am still on mushies is because my next doctor's appt. isn't until Mar 21, then I will be officially able to eat solids. I do 90% mushies right now. What are some of the things you have tried so far now that you are on solids?

Gosh! Everything. I'm starting to wonder if that is normal. I can eat walfles in the morning with an omlet, a ham and cheese sandwich for lunch, some barbecue chicken wings with veggies at dinner. The list goes on. I am pretty sure it will change once I have my fill, if not, then their may be a slippage problem. Tonight I am having some broiled cod fish with lemon juice and salt over it. with a side of salad. I really don't have any restriction. will you be getting your fill on the 21st?

Hi Norma. No on the 21st I will be able to officially start solids. Then I will go back to the doc 2 weeks after that to report how much I can eat, how long I am full, and I am sure how much weight I've lost while on solids. I am already filled 2.5 cc and I have a 4cc band. They filled it that way during surgery, because the doc said that I was real thin inside and if he didn't this lap band surgery would be a joke to me. So after the 2 weeks on solids they will determine whether or not to fill me more. I think I need another .5 cc bc I am by no means as hungry as I was pre-band, but I can eat and not feel like omg I am going to puke. Actually, I've noticed that since the band I am wanting healthier more wholesome foods, and processed stuff grosses me out. I HOPE that lasts...Cause food is and was my best friend, and of course all the garbage, fried, fatty, goodness! I actually tried a couple handfuls of popcorn today and I felt okay...but I don't want to push it. I 've had fish, some mushy fruits, right now I am eating chilli from Wendy's but it's soft.

My dh keeps saying, "since you had that stomach surgery, you sure do have a lot of gas", gee I thought he'd never notice, LOL.

Well I didn't always follow his instructions. It was real hard to stick with the Protein Shake phase and I cheated at times, but I was honest about it. The mushies i am loving though...Thanks for the encouragement. :)

Don't feel bad about cheating. This is a hard adjustment. Obviously we all know that the Doctor's orders are for a reason. However, With any medical proceedure we may stray from the rules. I mentioned one time on another thread that I had Lay's potato chips during my mushie fase because I was craving them and they disolved very well and were MUSHY before I swallowed them. So at this stage of your muchies, you can have bascially anything that will blend well. And I too have been very honest with my doctor about every little thing. I am in contact with his nurse at least 2 times a week just to ask questions.

That's great Norma. It sounds like your doctor is very supportive and has time to listen to you. It's the same way with my surgeon. His staff as well as him is so wonderful and they take time to listen and answer all your questions. It's good to find a doc that you can connect with.