Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Muscle Milk - YUM!

I FINALLY found a Protein powder mix that I actually like. A friend of mine recommended it. It's called Muscle Milk (light - vanilla creme) by Cytosport. I bought it at GNC (although you can probably get it cheaper online). I added a dash of cinnamon (good for metabolism) and vanilla extract and YUM! Let me tell you, I've been through several brands and never thought I would actually like one but this is it. It is very high in Protein at 25 grams per serving and it is lactose free just like powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury (which I didn't like either).

If you're still searching for a protein mix then give this a try. It is an excellent source of good protein. :rolleyes:

I love muscle milk. I didn't even know you could purchase it in powder. I got mine at costco, and it's little cardboard containers that look like cans. It's delicious.

I like the powder because I can mix up just what I want, althought the RTD is more convenient. I'll have to try that as well.

From my understanding, the chocolate Peanut Butter is really good too but the chocolate isn't that tasty.

I'm just so glad I finally found one I like because I really was not getting enough Protein.

Guest ZenGarden

WOW, I would stay away from Muscle Milk because it is too high in calories. I use Optimum Nutrition 100% whey Powder in Double Rich chocolate (I buy from Vitacost.com) and also use Body Fortress Whey Protein Powder in Chocolate (I buy this from Target and Wal-Mart).

As tickled as I am about all of you getting in your Protein, I must warn you that Muscle Milk is extremely high in fat and calories, especially for the grams of Protein you get.

But, like I said, if it keeps you taking protein, it can't be all bad...:biggrin:

Muscle Milk light is 195 calories (compared to 110 of many of the others) and 6 grams of fat. That is not what I would consider extreme. Now the regular is very high. The regular has 348 calories and 18 grams of fat. No matter how good it tastes, I wouldn't use the regular.

It's definitely good to look at and compare calories and fat, though. Thanks.

going to totally get flamed for posting this ... but.

to be honest, i dont worry about fat and cals. i am lower carbing it and it is what it is ... i still dont go over 1200 cals on a normal day, so ... **shrug** if i work my tail off at the gym, i need those cals.

You're not going to get flamed, certainly not by me. Each of us needs to find the right formula that works for us. That fact is, you're watching your intake and exercising. Good for you! :biggrin:

In my case, I just could not find a good tasting Protein drink. I tried MANY different ones and just couldn't get them down. Even though Muscle Milk is higher in calories, I'm getting the necessary Protein that I wasn't before and I'm feeling much better now.

I appreciate the comments and different view points. I've learned a lot from this forum. I just got banded 11 days ago so I'm still figuring the whole thing out.

I like the Muscle milk too and drink it on occasion, if I am going to be away all day and not able to eat my regular diet, or if I am in a hurry and need a change of pace but I stay away from it because it is relatively high in fat. I get the Carb Consious variety so it is pretty low in carbs and that is what gets me messed up. It does taste better than most ready to drink shakes. I'm going to have to look for the light because it is very convenient

Guest ZenGarden

I always mix 8 ounces of organic skim milk with one scoop of Optimum Nutrition Protein mix and can usually only drink half of it for Breakfast and save the other half for a mid-morning snack.< /p>

When I drink a shake I usually drink it over an hour or two, sipping small amounts every few minutes. I am only 4 weeks post-op so don't have much restriction but it pretty much goes right though the pouch. I count it as breakfast because I rarely eat anything before noon. The Protein Shake gets me a good Protein boost for the day and I fill in the rest of my protein requirements with solid food at lunch and dinner. I don't snack because it is too much trouble not to eat for 15 minutes before and an hour after.

How much can your stomack hold? The serving size is 12oz. Does a shake like this go right through the pouch?. Wouldnt this be a meal?

I don't have any restriction yet (just been banded 11 days) but even the 12 oz. is quite filling. I only had about 1/2 the amount just a bit ago (although this does defeat getting the full protein) but I was feeling a bit full so I stopped. I would image when I get a fill it would be hard to drink the whole thing. It is a full liquid, though, so I would guess it would go right through the band.