Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I didn't make my goal

But I am learning something more valuable. And that is to trust myself. I started reading a book called, "I Can Make You Thin" by Paul McKenna. I read it about 75% of the way through, put it away for awhile, then I've read it again about 50% of the way through. It's kind of short, so that's not that big of a feat. But my point is that it's starting to get into my brain. And I don't WANT to diet anymore. That's exactly what this book is about - not dieting anymore and just trusting yourself.

I got down to 180 on my weight loss ticker and gave up and gained about 7 more pounds back. I have struggled with myself since then because I'm seriously fed up with dieting. I can lose the weight fast, but I know I can't keep up that way of eating. I'm not very organized, so that makes it harder.

I haven't applied all the tools from the book. My biggest struggle is focusing on JUST eating. No distractions like TV or radio or...uh...internet (as I sit here eating dinner). I am forced to eat slower because of the band, and I do stop when I'm satisfied because of the band. I have some work to do.

But anyhow, I've been eating whatever I want and after the initial rush binge that comes after breaking a diet, things have evened out. I started running and I've done 2 weeks of the Couch to 5K (but I'll be starting week 4 this week because I accidentally skipped week 2 and ran the week 3 schedule this week). I'm back down to 180. I'm relaxed and not stressing about what I eat.

If anybody's interested in that book, you can find it pretty much anywhere. AND - he is starting a series on TV by the same name. It runs on TLC and the first one starts tonight. I'm sure the time will be different depending on where you are, but for me it starts at 7p. I'm DVR'ing it since I'm stuck at work tonight. But I look forward to applying the tools...ALL of them.

I'm going to catch up on the posts - I've been crazy busy with work and home life but I've dropped in now and again. Hope everybody is doing well.

But I am learning something more valuable. And that is to trust myself. I started reading a book called, "I Can Make You Thin" by Paul McKenna. I read it about 75% of the way through, put it away for awhile, then I've read it again about 50% of the way through. It's kind of short, so that's not that big of a feat. But my point is that it's starting to get into my brain. And I don't WANT to diet anymore. That's exactly what this book is about - not dieting anymore and just trusting yourself.

I got down to 180 on my weight loss ticker and gave up and gained about 7 more pounds back. I have struggled with myself since then because I'm seriously fed up with dieting. I can lose the weight fast, but I know I can't keep up that way of eating. I'm not very organized, so that makes it harder.

I haven't applied all the tools from the book. My biggest struggle is focusing on JUST eating. No distractions like TV or radio or...uh...internet (as I sit here eating dinner). I am forced to eat slower because of the band, and I do stop when I'm satisfied because of the band. I have some work to do.

But anyhow, I've been eating whatever I want and after the initial rush binge that comes after breaking a diet, things have evened out. I started running and I've done 2 weeks of the Couch to 5K (but I'll be starting week 4 this week because I accidentally skipped week 2 and ran the week 3 schedule this week). I'm back down to 180. I'm relaxed and not stressing about what I eat.

If anybody's interested in that book, you can find it pretty much anywhere. AND - he is starting a series on TV by the same name. It runs on TLC and the first one starts tonight. I'm sure the time will be different depending on where you are, but for me it starts at 7p. I'm DVR'ing it since I'm stuck at work tonight. But I look forward to applying the tools...ALL of them.

I'm going to catch up on the posts - I've been crazy busy with work and home life but I've dropped in now and again. Hope everybody is doing well.

Steph!

You are doing fabulous. You are 50% to your goal. That is damned remarkable considering you had surgery in November. I am interested in this TV series as well. I have learned that we need to eat to live not live to eat. I eat everything in much more moderation. I find that if I don't deprive myself and allow myself to have just a little than I won't binge. I have started to ask myself questions before eating. Am I really hungry? Am I eating to live or living to eat? Am I eating this for any other reason than hunger? Do I really need this? Sometimes the answer is Yes to Do I really need this? But more often than not, it is I can wait or just a little.

I seems to work for me. I gotta tell you the head has not caught up to body changes!

Cindy

I saw the TV show and I'm reminding myself and my DH (who's not banded but needs to lose about thirty pounds) of the "rules" on his show. We both used to eat way too fast. The band is helping me with that, but I am reminding hubby now, too.

Like you Steph, I have trouble with the no distraction thing, but I'm working on it. Ate lunch at the table today instead of in front of TV.

Exercise. Well, no doubt I could be better, but I did walk a few times, so I'm improving.

Restriction: Still waiting. I'd call it mild, but definitely not enough. Haven't lost anything in one week, next fill is Thurs.

Getting to goal is all well and good, but learning along the way, so we stay at goal is way more important. I think that's what you're learning Steph!

I thought it was a good show and am also trying to drill the concepts into DH's brain. He is 100 pounds overweight and eats food at a speed I never would have believed prior to marriage. That's why I gained 80 pounds after I met him - trying to keep up. The band slows me down. The show is also a great reminder of our band rules - eat slowly, chew, savor each bite, set the fork DOWN between bites, listen for your full signal. I was doing all those things last night and again at lunch today. I think it helps.

Ease up on yourself Steph, you are doing great. If you didn't lose another pound for 3 months, you'd still be doing great. You have lost way more than I have.

I am content to be the turtle. Someone told me once that you should not do anything to lost weight that you weren't prepared to do for the rest of your life to keep it off. So, I am just making little changes and letting it come off slowly. I also want to keep my gall bladder and I think that is more likely with slow weight loss.

One other thing I have also started doing is eating with my left hand. I'm a righty and that really slows me down. I figure I am also burning new pathways in my brain at the same time - so, double yay!!!