Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello...Newbie From NC!

Just wanted to say hello :( - I joined this forum yesterday, and I've already learned so much by reading some posts.

I am just north of Charlotte, NC, I am married to a wonderful man, and we have two children together. I am a photographer, I specialize in engagements, weddings, family portraits & children.

I started my lap-band journey in December of '08, signed up online, had my first appt. in January, and I'm almost done with all my pre-op stuff. I have 2 appts. (nutritionist & OB), and then I'll be in the insurance Que lineup. I did just find out that if I'm approved, my insurance (UHC) will cover me 100%! Very excited about that. Okay, I love to talk, but I'll shut up for now, just wanted to say hello, and I look forward to learning so much and meeting new people. Anyone from NC or close by??

Hi potogurl!

I'm not far from you. I live near Weddington/Ballantyne.

We have a huge support group here in Charlotte.

Who is you surgeon? Welcome to the board.

The Lap-Band is the best thing I ever did in my life! I'm excited for you!

Hi Sunsett ~ I am actually in Salisbury, so yea, you're pretty close to me. My Doctor is Roc Bauman in Concord. Thanks for the welcome - I'm super excited to get the band, seems like it's taking forever to get everything done, but I keep thinking, you know, each month I'm more ahead than I was last month. I just really want to have it done by summer!

Hi there, I am from Cary, NC. I am in the pre-stages of the band too. This is my 5th month of my 'pre-band' diet. So, very excited to be done with that and then insurance. Best of luck to you!!!

Hi Kathy 1991 - I'll be so glad when I have my surgery date! Sorry, I'm not familiar with the pre-band diet? What is that? I'm still eating normal - been trying to cut back a lot, and I'm trying really hard to not drink liquids while I'm eating - that part I don't really like too much.

I have one Dr. that isn't cooperating with me, an old Dr. that I need to transfer my weight records to my surgeon, and they will not return my call. Guess I'm going to have to give them a little visit. :mad2:

Thanks so much for your kind welcome and I'll keep everyone posted on my progress!

Oh well Dr Voellinger has his patients go on a 2 week liquid diet before the surgery. It wasn't bad for me because I was so ready for the band.

The reason why he had us do this is because you lose weight first around your liver. They have to move your liver to do the surgery so it makes it easier for them if you do this.

Great to see you all here. A lot of local NCers are at Band2gether.net (b2g) Lap band Support Forums - Powered by vBulletin there is a huge get together coming up in May that will be in the University area.

Hi, I live north of Charlotte as well. Who is doing your surgery? I'm just starting to look into it. I don't know if my insurance will pay anything or not.

Hi Fotogurl,

I am having the band on 3/27 with Dr. Bauman also. I live in Statesville, not too far from you. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Good Luck on your journey!!:thumbup:

Hi Daisydog ~ I'm in Salisbury, NC ~ where are you? Dr. Roc Bauman from Carolina Weight Loss Surgery Center in Concord is doing mine. I started looking into it around September, talked to my MD about it, got his approval, and in November, I went online to sign up (you can't call there to make the appt. , you have to sign up online first, then they'll send you an email letting you know it's time to set up the appt.) So anyway, I just found out that if my insurance (United Healthcare) approves me for the surgery based on my medical problems & history, then they will cover me 100% (minus office visit copays). You can actually call your insurace company and they should be able to tell you upfront what they cover on obesity surgery. Just ask for the benefits dept. Goodluck to you!

:biggrin2: Hi Sunshynne! You're pretty close to me ~ Salisbury here. Dr. Bauman is also doing my surgery, the date hasn't been set though. My nutritionist appt. is this Thursday, and that is the last thing from my "to do list". Thank goodness!

I actually do have a question, if you don't mind. What kind of pre-surgery diet did he put you on? I've heard some people say different things. I really want to start doing some things before my surgery to get used to it.

Goodluck to you on your journey as well ~ keep me posted on how things are going!

Hi Fotogirl....

He really does not have you on a strict diet per say.... The Nut will give you a sheet that has things to eat, things not to eat(fried foods,sodas, etc.) and they tell you about the shakes. I am currently drinking the Slim Fast Low Carb (the other Slim Fast has more sugar) and watching what i eat. YOU CAN NOT:cursing: GAIN ANY WEIGHT OR HE MAY RESCHEDULE YOUR SURGERY and drink water(Crystal Light). Ps. If you go with the Slim Fast Low Carb, the cheapest place to but is at Sams!

Once you get all the things checked off, you will get a date soon. Also, a good website is Obesity Help, a lot of Dr Baumans' are on the forum. My name on that forum is Daybreak 7--that have a NC only forum....

Let me know if you have other questions, I am a Newbie also, but I will share my little bit of knowledge...:)