Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Least Disgusting Way of Getting 30gr of Protien Per day?

Hi All,

My doc had me loose 10% of my body weight pre-op. I went on an all protien shake diet to do it and then ended up gaining some of the weight back during xmass. So I ended up doing another month of protien shakes. As you can imagine the very though of one of these protien shake things just make me sick.

I had my surgery 30 days ago and Im looking for another way to getting 30 grams of protien without taking in too many calories. Are there waters with large amounts of protien, pills, any other simple solution.

Thanks,

TOF

Hi-I haven't been banded yet, next week! But anyway, I have been trying to eat tghe right way for the last couple of months and one way to get the Protein in is to use the Special K protein packets that you mix with Water. They contain 5 grams of protein each, at 30 calories, so I feel that is a good trade-off. I prefer the iced tea flavor, but suggest you try all 3. Also, it doesn't take much tuna, salmon, or canned shrimp to really make your protein level jump up there. Good luck!

I bought Isopure Alpine Punch (fruit punch flavored) and Isopure icy orange flavor from GNC- in store or online. It's pricey at $4.00 a bottle, but it is 20oz of, what I consider tastes just like Gatorade. I can't stand thick milky shakes! That one 20 oz bottle contains a whopping 40g of protien! It is absoluetly clear, with the exception of a scant bit of Protein floating inside, but you don't notice it when you drink it.

They also have the powder for the same flavors, you need to mix with Water, less$$. They also have pineapple orange flavor, and green apple, I think.

One more tip- GNC has a buy one, get one 50% off sale the first week of every month! I saved alot of $ by timing when I went!

Another good source of Protein is the whey Protein Powder, unflavored, they sell there too- you can bake with it, put it in anything at all,(scrambled eggs, yogurt, gatorade, anything- it mixes clear!) and it adds 21g of protein per scoop!! A 1.5 lb tub, which is 25 scoops, was marked $27.99, but rang up $13.98, before the buy one get one 50% off- I spent $48.00 there, but according to the recipt, I saved around $ 68.00!!! (Total would have been $116.00 off sale).

Sorry to go on, but I hope this is helpful info! Good luck, and happy losing!

~Sarah

30 gm is not so much. Why not just eat it in low calorie foods like lean meats? That's about as simple as it gets.

For me it's protien bullets. I have some with 42 gm of protien. They are fruit flavored. If I'm in the mood I make sugar free Jello and use a bullet for 1/2 of the cold Water. If I don't feel like jello I just drink 1/2 of the bullet straight up. You can save the other half for later. I don't drink it all because I have heard that the body can only use about 25 gms of protien at a time. I still try to get at least 50 gms from food/day.

Yes, the bullets are good. My doc suggested them for days during fills when I'm on Clear Liquids or just need a shot of Protein. She said to be SURE to drink LOTS of Water after drinking a bullet or mixing it with water because your body needs extra water to process all that protein at once. Of course, you can split it and do partial shots. Still, drink a lot with it!

I have never heard of these Protein bullets? Where do you find them. I am getting banded on Friday 3/21/08 and I am getting nervous that I won't do my post op right.

Hi All,

My doc had me loose 10% of my body weight pre-op. I went on an all protien shake diet to do it and then ended up gaining some of the weight back during xmass. So I ended up doing another month of protien shakes. As you can imagine the very though of one of these protien shake things just make me sick.

I had my surgery 30 days ago and Im looking for another way to getting 30 grams of protien without taking in too many calories. Are there waters with large amounts of protien, pills, any other simple solution.

Thanks,

TOF

1 oz of meat = 7 Grms of Protein

1/2 cup egg beaters 14 grms of Protein

you only have to have 30 grms of protein a day - my doc 60 grms.

30 grams would be easy! My doc told me 75 grams daily.

I just mixed a scoop of strawberry unjury with premade Crystal Light lemonade and it's pretty good. I have 2 huge tubes of nectar I'm trying to choke down. I started mixing 8 scoops of nectar Lemonade with 1 tub of Crystal Light lemonade to 2 quarts of Water. I have found this combination masks the nasty "milky protein" taste of the Nectar enough for me to drink it.

Has anyone tried mixing DiVinci fruit flavored syrups to Nectar? I might try that next.

The Support Group associated with my doctor had a representative from a company called SmartForme talk to the group. Their products are specifically for pre & post-op bariatric surgery patients. I particularly like the wafers 200 cal w/15 gm pro, (2 in a pack, most often 1 is plenty for Breakfast and the other for mid-afternoon snack), also the clear drinks 70 cal w/13 gm pro. You have to have a "clinician" code and they can only be ordered online. They have really helped me.

As far as the amount of Protein per day - the recommendation that I was given was 10% of daily calorie intact with that goal being 600 - 800 cal/day, therefore, 60 - 80 gm protein.

Edited by Nikki S
additional info

My Dr. said to add 3 tbl spoons of powered milk to anything

I have just to boost my Protein. It just makes things creamier.

I think it adds 4.5 gr protein. Does not taste bad at all.