Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 DAY POUCH TEST - Anyone heard????

You are correct in stating that ketosis is not the same as ketoacidosis. (and I didn't say that they were....)

They are two different stages in the process. Ketosis is NOT healthy, though.

I am banded and have been at a stand still with my weight since Christmas with a terrible chocolate addiction! Probably why I'm not loosing! My support group can't say enough good about the 5 Day Pouch Test! So...I decided to try it! I just finished day 3 of my 5 Day pouch test. My chocolate cravings have disappeared, I've lost 3 pounds and...my pouch IS tighter already! I am having a hard time getting in the cup of food recommended in the 15 min's, which would've been no problem at all before! I haven't been hungry at all! And I'm feeling a lot better than I have in a while...I've just kinda been blah. I'm excited to see how the next 2 days go and beyond that...I have high hopes that this is what I needed to get me out of the slump I was in with my weightloss!:wink2:

I am banded and have been at a stand still with my weight since Christmas with a terrible chocolate addiction! Probably why I'm not loosing! My support group can't say enough good about the 5 Day Pouch Test! So...I decided to try it! I just finished day 3 of my 5 Day pouch test. My chocolate cravings have disappeared, I've lost 3 pounds and...my pouch IS tighter already! I am having a hard time getting in the cup of food recommended in the 15 min's, which would've been no problem at all before! I haven't been hungry at all! And I'm feeling a lot better than I have in a while...I've just kinda been blah. I'm excited to see how the next 2 days go and beyond that...I have high hopes that this is what I needed to get me out of the slump I was in with my weightloss!:)

I'm so happy for you! that's awesome!:wink2:

Hello Everyone,

I actually tried the pouch diet this week. It really worked well for me. I am in need of a fill and, I have been on a junk food binge so, I did this and my craving for sweets has subsided in addition, I did lose about 4 lbs. So, for me, it was just a way to get back focused. I followed more of the plan that my Dr. had me on the first few days after surgery and it was basically the same thing. So, I did tweek the 5 day a little. But, what ever it would take to get me back on plan.

Brigette

ETA: For anyone who is striving for ketosis, please do some research on it. Ketosis is NOT a good thing!

Ketosis is not necessarily a bad thing either...unless you already have problems with your kidneys.

The Atkins diet deliberately puts people in ketosis by restricting carbs. If you peed on a little test strip, the deeper the purple, the higher the ketones...supposedly. I found that just by increasing my Water intake, the strip didn't even turn slightly purple...but I was still in the same state of ketosis.

I am a diabetic and my physician, who specializes in diabetes, has no problem with me shedding ketones in my urine as a result of a low carb diet. However, her rule of thumb for all her patients who do extremely low carb (under 60 per day) is that you not only should be drinking 64 oz of Water per day, but you should be drinking an additional 8 oz for every 25 lbs you are overweight. The reason is 'dilution'.

Edited by ElfiePoo

I'm sure that's why they only recommend 5 days. Ketosis is the reason why I avoid the Adkins diet. I just don't think it's healthy long term. MANY of the people I know who did it, now have cholesterol problems months after jetting off of it. Good enough reason for me to avoid it.

Interesting, because all the anecdotal studies (and that's about all there are) on Atkins shows that cholesterol problems actually improve. Perhaps these people were doing a perverted form of Atkins. The media was pretty big on hyping this perverted form during the Atkins craze about 10 years ago (or so) by showing people who were eating 6 eggs and a pound of bacon for Breakfast and slathering butter on everything. That is not Atkins. Atkins was very clear that bacon was limited to 1 slice per egg and also very clearly said that you cannot eat all the fat you want because you will stop losing due to the high calories in the fat. He was also very clear that after 2 weeks, carbs should be reintroduced into the person's diet...but in the form of vegies rather than potatoes and bread.< /p>

I lost 70 pounds on Atkins...and have kept it off now for 7 years despite not eating quite as low carb as I did then. My good and bad cholesterols improved while on Atkins.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm on my soapbox, but it irritates me when people bad mouth a low carb diet or even Atkins because if they did them in the correct manner and didn't just do them as an excuse to pig out on as much meat and fat as they can stuff into themselves, they'd not only lose weight but their cholesterol, diabetes, etc. would improve dramatically.

<kicking soap box under table>

This site is a bit misleading. Following this '5 day test' will not tell you whether or not your pouch is stretching, still working, etc. It's just a way of getting your eating habits back on track if you find you're slipping too often.

In the past, I've done this with success. I've also done a Master Cleanse program for a few days. I've even fasted for a few days. They all work and, contrary to what some people think they are for, *none* are meant to lose weight because as soon as you start eating again, that weight is back because it was just Water weight.

I no longer have this problem since I've gained restriction because the band doesn't allow me to slide into the bad habit of eating too many carbs because, since my last fill, just a small amount of rice or potato fills me up (like 2Tbs).

However, I know from reading this forum that some people have a problem with sweets...which the band doesn't really help with...and a 3-5 day 'cleanse' of any kind helps get back on track.

Why not just do phase one of South Beach if you are trying to detox carbs and feel fuller longer? I don't think of South Beach as a diet, but more of an life plan for eating healthier and keeping my body working at its best. High on protien and clean carbs it works well with the band.

For me the pouch test works. But I have had issues of slipping into a dependence on carbs now and then, and it helps me kick that. It also helps me get more in tune with my band, reacquainting me with the feeling of full. I am sure it's not for everyone.

As a side note, lost 10 pounds the last time I did it, and it got me to my "original" goal weight. That has since been adjusted down, as I realize now I am not done with losing. I do mainly use it for the getting to know my band again aspect though. The extra weight loss is just a bonus for me.