Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help-no energy to get ready for Lap Band

HELP!

This is my first time to this site and not sure how things work. I am going to have surgery sometime in the next couple of months. Right now I am suppose to diet and exercise. If I could diet and exercise I wouldn't need surgery would I? It is very frustrating. I work 8 to 10 hours a day, and am sore and tired when I come home, and hungry! I live in Oregon where it rains all the time....or most of it. The only place here in this small town is Curves and I do not have exercise equipment. How do I get going on loosing and moving. I am at a BMI of 43, and it is hard to move, let alone exercise.

I spend hours reading at the Lab Band site and now here. I don't find any post about how to get started. Didn't anyone else have a hard time....was anyone else very over weight and their body sore and hurts all the time like me? I worry about getting banded and then what. I don't have energy now to exercise will I have energy after?

Please help me out here someone...I can't be the only person like this...am I?? :biggrin:

Hello,

I know the feeling... sore all over, aching knees and feet... tired and hungry. but keep in mind ; that it is very important you get yourelf moving before that op! you'll feel much better for it , go to curves, who cares what people think... don't forget the band isn't a cure it's just a tool, the rest is up to you. My op is in May and I've lost 15 lbs from walking and cutting out bread and junk so far. get that heart and lungs moving.

Your not alone at all. I am having surgery April 2nd and I should be getting started on eating better and exercising too but I have little energy. The weight has made me so sluggish and depressed I have a hard time moving as well. My doc only requires a 10 day pre-op diet but I wanted to start before that and I keep failing. Someone tell me I will be able to do this once I get my band. I know it's a tool and not a cure but I hope the tool helps me do this...

Curves would be a great place to start. Give it a shot! It's only 30 minutes out of your day, and it would be a good way to get into the habit of exercising regularly.

It is a bit pricey, but they usually run specials for new members. Give them a call and see what they have going on!

Good luck!

HELP!

This is my first time to this site and not sure how things work. I am going to have surgery sometime in the next couple of months. Right now I am suppose to diet and exercise. If I could diet and exercise I wouldn't need surgery would I? It is very frustrating. I work 8 to 10 hours a day, and am sore and tired when I come home, and hungry! I live in Oregon where it rains all the time....or most of it. The only place here in this small town is Curves and I do not have exercise equipment. How do I get going on loosing and moving. I am at a BMI of 43, and it is hard to move, let alone exercise.

I spend hours reading at the Lab Band site and now here. I don't find any post about how to get started. Didn't anyone else have a hard time....was anyone else very over weight and their body sore and hurts all the time like me? I worry about getting banded and then what. I don't have energy now to exercise will I have energy after?

Please help me out here someone...I can't be the only person like this...am I?? :biggrin:

I know how you feel. I have a BMI of 54 and I go to the gym most every day. I actually joined the YMCA for 15.00 a month. Your right..... it is hard but I got to the point in my life where I knew if I did not change quick I would die. I have a 2 year old son and he is my motivation. Have you tried the prescribed pills phentermine? They work well. I have lost 10lbs. and have 100+ to go. I hope that things will get easier for you. Take care!

To get myself motivated, I usually read a new book about weight loss. Once I read the "Set point Diet" book and it started me on a new walking program that lasted quite a while.

I know you're not getting banded to start another diet, but you just need something to get you motivated until your surgery.

Buy one of the "weight loss for dummies" book or a Bob Greene "Best Life" book, something to get your head into the game!

In the meantime, reduce your carbs drastically.

It always gives me more energy when i have less carbs AND it reduces inflammation in joints, so you can walk easier. Try it you'll see. Your knees and feet will feel better and if you just walk ten minutes the first time, that's ok.

Yes, I was heavy and sore, although my BMI was only 35, I had a really bad ankle. I used the elliptical at the gym for a few months before surgery, I thought it really helped to get fitter and in good shape. I didnt diet, but I managed to avoid the last supper pig out thing, I just tried to eat well. I wasnt perfect, that's why we need bands.

After surgery I started running. Well at first I staggered. I will admit I had a lot more fitness than many bandsters begin with, and have been fairly athletic most of my life. But it was HARD. It was especially hard getting back and doing it day after day after day.

I dont have any advice for you on how to get started. I just did it. Its the only way. Pick your time - either get up early or go out late - and just do it, whatever you choose to do. if you work long hours then make the weekend count so you only have to maybe do 2 sessions during the working week.

wow I can hear you Kat! I am the same place. How have others done this would be nice to know.

Thanks for replying and that I know someone else feels as I do.

thank you i did call curves and I am going Monday right after work at 1:30. I am getting two weeks free to see if I will do it.

Thanks,

Kathy

thank you i did call curves and I am going Monday right after work at 1:30. I am getting two weeks free to see if I will do it.

Thanks,

Kathy

You know the saying... a journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step... and you just took yours!:thumbup:

I had the same concern/fear. My lack of energy was my main reason for deciding I needed outside help in the first place. One of the bariatric nurses told me about a weight management class at a local hospital designed especially for large people. It is part of their cardiac/pulmonary rehab unit. All the equipment is appropriately sized and the staff is accustomed to working with people who haven't moved in awhile. It has been a lifesaver for me. Once I've regained some strength, going to a regular gym hopefully won't be so daunting.

Good luck with Curves. I've heard nothing but good things about them.

Peej :o

Gosh Kathy48, you sound just like me, I have no energy especially after work, it doesn't make sense, I'm in outside sales and in and out of my truck all day long, you would think that was enough exercise by itself, noooo it isn't, I can't even walk the mall without getting winded and I've only got 80#'s that I want to lose, the way that I'm feeling, you would think that it was 280#'s to lose. Its hard, I agree with you, I try but just have no energy at all and if I drive in my truck for a long period of time and get out of the truck, OMG, my hip joints scream in pain, I have to stand there for a while before I move, same here working on the computer in the evenings, gosh, sit to long and my joints sure let me know about it. So I feel with you on this and don't know what I can do about it either. Glad to hear that I'm not alone.

On another note, I'm on pre-op diet right now and have this continous head-ache, is it sugar withdrawal?? Any ideas anyone??

What I did was start small. I started the pre-op diet by drinking Proteins shakes for one meal. Then I would drink them for two. I would park in spots further from the door to make myself walk. I bought the walk away the pounds video and did that at least twice a week. After the band the Protein Drinks are a must so start with them now and develop your taste for them (kinda like finding you favorite beer). Try and be active as much as you can. Not necessarly going to the gym but walking around the mall one more time or doing housework a little faster. Then cut out some bad foods from your diet. Like real soda or fast food. These things alone will cause b/w 10-25lb weight loss and they will kick start your new band life. Weight watchers is an awesome motivational tool for dieting. Whatever changes you make, little or small, are a step in the right direction. Pride yourself on these, and when you are ready make another change.

Yes I think the head-aches are sgurgar withdrawl. I also got them from no diet pepsi. I really miss the caffine and that gives me head-aches. We are about 75 miles from a mall. Sometimes I wish I was in the city so I had more options, but we are not. Sitting to lon at the computer hurts me also, bad back aches.

Good luck to you, your on your way you have a date!!

Kathy, keep your eye on the prize, If all you can do right now is eat high Protein and drink all your Water then do that. I know what you are talking about. When I was 100 lbs more than now I could barely walk 1 mile per hour on the treadmill. Curves would be a good place for you to start exercising. It is very low impact and you can go at your own pace. You will lose weight being banded and not exercising but the weight loss will increase if you do exercise. Good luck to you and congrats.