Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

TOTAL UNFILL...Scary!

After having another fill, hoping it to be the last for a long, long time, I began to have horrible pain when trying to eat, even Jello. I spent lots of time in the bathroom coughing it back up. I followed the doctor's rules closely after my fill. I ended up drinking hot tea for 4 days...while still "trying" to eat yogurt, etc. (on the list of ok foods) for the first few days, after a fill, NO LUCK! Called the doctor, drove 4 hours to see her. She totally unfilled me! I was so upset. But, I understand why she felt it necessary. She said that I might have an ulcerated area and it needs to heal. I had lost 8 pounds in 4 days.

She told me to have some food as soon as I left her office. What a strange feeling!!! I took a bite of food...chewing it as slowly as I had done for over a year...I can't describe the feeling of uneasiness. I kept waiting for that familiar feeling of needing to stop eating when I feel full (with the band.) Now, it's NOT there. I felt sad, scared, etc. What will I do for the next 6-8 weeks without it?

It's been a few days now...I'm trying to be very watchful of what I'm eating. The one thing I did notice, was while dining with family, I completely finished my dinner. I HAVEN'T SEEN AN EMPTY PLATE FOR SO LONG! The meal was salmon, rice and broccoli. I felt guilty.

I guess I'm writing to all of you because I hope you'll have advice to help me through this time AND I want to tell people, that you're lucky if you don't ever have to feel this " loss" feeling.

I MISS MY RESTRICTION. My eating habits had been changed with it... I have 6-8 weeks until I can have that comfortable feeling back. I hope/pray that I can keep the weight off until then. It means doing it on my own, again. (Didn't do well then. That's why I had the lapband operation in the first place.) I've promised myself that I will just "pretend" it's still there and eat less.

How many of you have been in this situation???

Thanks for reading......:smile2:

lapgirl35, I can relate somewhat. I had to have 2cc's removed today because I have allowed myself to be too tight since December. I was afraid to get any type of unfill b/c well...you know...I didn't want to overeat.

"salmon, rice and broccoli" that is a wonderfully healthy meal and cleaning THAT plate is nothing at all to feel guilty about. Try to continue eating healthy foods like that and you will do fine during your healing process. Remember, it is OKAY to eat. If you eat something higher in calories or carbs, balance it out on the next meal. You can do it!

I had the same uneasiness today...waiting to vomit...but it did not happen. I still have good restriction but can definitely eat more...my goal is to continue to choose healthy foods like you are doing. I had baked fish and cabbage today. We are in this together.

Bunny,

Thank you for the kind words. It's funny how much our lives change with the band. I feel so strange knowing it's not able to help me right now.

That's how it started for me...the throwing up feeling. I think a lot of it is making sure that we chew, chew, chew.

Keep up the good work! I'll need to get online often and get the support to get through the next 6-8 weeks.

Mary :)

If you try to stick mainly to Protein, you won't get cravings and shouldn't gain any weight during this time before you can get a fill again.

Good luck!

You are doing so good! Just stay on high Protein, low carb and lots of vegies. Try and stay to 1 cup per meal if you can and count calories. Try and stay to 1200 calories a day. You will be fine. I am glad you are feeling better.

I know you're right! I've learned so much over the past year. In the old days, I would go to the frige and get ice cream. Not tonight! I'll have fruit instead.

At some point you will lose all your weight and reach goal, you will then have to learn maintenance. Why not practice maintenance now? It's a good skill to learn for long term band success. You'll be way ahead in the long run.

Stick to Protein, veggies and a small serving of carbs at dinner, you know the right size portions.

the time will go by faster than you think.

Lapgirl...after THREE years banded, I had to get a total unfill in December to rest my stomach, too. I was scared spitless! I could just imagine the 100+ lbs piling back on after THREE YEARS of working my butt off to get it off. I will admit...I partied like a rock star for about 3 days. I ate out, I drank beer, I ate a hamburger with a bun...yeah...a food fest. After about 3 days, I was like...OK...back in the saddle. I kept vigilant with a food journal and added MORE cardio so I was doing at least 1 hour of cardio EVERY day. It was hard cardio, too, like running. I actually still went up and down about 5 lbs, but now that I'm at a good fill level, it's falling off! Be vigilant and you'll be OK!

Bunny,

Thank you for the kind words. It's funny how much our lives change with the band. I feel so strange knowing it's not able to help me right now.

That's how it started for me...the throwing up feeling. I think a lot of it is making sure that we chew, chew, chew.

Keep up the good work! I'll need to get online often and get the support to get through the next 6-8 weeks.

Mary :thumbup:

LOL I ve found the secret of the band~~i can have anything I want -I need to chew chew chew---and then spit it out !! After my third fill 2 weeks ago+I ve had a lot of difficulty with everything-even morning shakes.

But I will stay with the liquids until it eases up.And

mashed potatoes -very thin very little.

It will get better I know.

Being unfilled isn't as scary as it sounds, trust me!

Just exercise and continue to make good choices when eating, and everything will be ok.

JoJoBANANA

Wow! That's a technique...LOL I wonder if I should have been stronger? If you can handle liquids for (who knows how long,) maybe I didn't stick it out long enough? It was so hard to try Jello (2 bites) and be so ill. I can't imagine hanging in there much longer. Sometimes, I wish I knew exactly what a "good/perfect fill" is???

Thanks for writing your thoughts. It helps hearing from others in the same situation.

Mary :thumbup:

Chickie,

First, I love your name!

And, I will try and exercise more...I know this will be the key to me handling this time without my band.....

Thanks!!

Lapgirl...after THREE years banded, I had to get a total unfill in December to rest my stomach, too. I was scared spitless! I could just imagine the 100+ lbs piling back on after THREE YEARS of working my butt off to get it off. I will admit...I partied like a rock star for about 3 days. I ate out, I drank beer, I ate a hamburger with a bun...yeah...a food fest. After about 3 days, I was like...OK...back in the saddle. I kept vigilant with a food journal and added MORE cardio so I was doing at least 1 hour of cardio EVERY day. It was hard cardio, too, like running. I actually still went up and down about 5 lbs, but now that I'm at a good fill level, it's falling off! Be vigilant and you'll be OK!

LOL

I love your honesty. 100+ WOW! You're great. The journal thing is something I've slacked off...This support is so great. I really think I'll get through this.

EVERYBODY: I JUST FIGURED OUT THAT I DON'T NEED TO ANSWER SEPERATELY. SORRY ABOUT TAKING UP TOO MUCH SPACE! LOL

Lapgirl,

I am looking for support for the same issue. I had a gall bladder attack, and threw up a great deal. My esophagus dilated and I could not keep anything down. I must stay unfilled until my gall bladder surgery in mid April. My doctor says I can get my first fill about 1 month after surgery, and in the meantime, just use the healthy eating I've learned. I'm sorry, but that's just baloney for me right now. I'm so hungry all the time, and the food obsessions have come flooding back, just like the old days. I'm doing what I need to do, but I didn't have "bandster hell" like this back when I first had the surgery. Every day has been a major battle. I too could really use a support system right now. I know exactly how you feel. I've worked so hard, and refuse to go backwards. How about let's support each other? :thumbup: