Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Diet confusion

I'm quoting this from another thread (confessions) just as a jumping off point:

You're not a bad horrible person, but I also don't think you are helping yourself out at all. Between mashed potatoes and ice cream, you are taking in a LOT of carbs and that will sabotage your weight loss. You and I are carb addicts. The more carbs we ingest, the more we want, the more we eat, until we are out of control. It is our drug of choice. It makes us feel good. Part of getting the band is physically, the majority of it is mental. We have to change our way of thinking about food. What is more important, ice cream or not getting diabetes or high blood pressure? This is really a major lifestyle change. I'm not saying that a treat every now and then is going to hurt you, but to be cheating this early in the game is not good. I remember before surgery when I was on my pre-op diet, my husband got me some ice cream on a day when I had been particularly good on my calorie and carb intake. I could "afford" it intake wise, so I had a 1/4 of a cup. I make it last as long as I could! LOL I love ice cream dearly, but it's not something I'm going to be able to have for a while unless it's a special occasion and in very small amounts. It's definite NOT something I keep in the fridge! :grouphug:

My doctor's list of suggested foods for each time period suggests mashed potatoes, well-cooked Pasta, and other higher carb foods. He just said that I should limit my sugar intake, eat Protein first, and choose lower fat and calorie options, but otherwise he seems to stress moderation and lowering overall intake the most.

I guess I'm just confused. Eating high-protein, low-fat, low carb and low calorie doesn't seem to leave many options. Of course, I'm also not very creative in the kitchen so maybe that is why I am stumped.

I'm quoting this from another thread (confessions) just as a jumping off point:

My doctor's list of suggested foods for each time period suggests mashed potatoes, well-cooked Pasta, and other higher carb foods. He just said that I should limit my sugar intake, eat Protein first, and choose lower fat and calorie options, but otherwise he seems to stress moderation and lowering overall intake the most.

I guess I'm just confused. Eating high-protein, low-fat, low carb and low calorie doesn't seem to leave many options. Of course, I'm also not very creative in the kitchen so maybe that is why I am stumped.

Hi Jaime! Since you quoted me I'll take a stab at answering you. I will still eat potatoes, rice, etc, but in VERY limited quantities and ONLY if I can "afford" them and take them into consideration in my food count. While some people may not need to be as strict as me in my carb count (30 gms or less a day), eating in excess of 100 gms is going to hurt you. One, it's going to hurt your weight loss, and two, it's going to make you hungry. I am not on a low fat diet, or low calorie. I can eat as many calories as I want and I can have real butter, lean meats, etc. Fortunately, now that I have the band, it limits how much I can eat so usually calories are the least of my worries unless it's trying to make sure I get enough! You said that your doctor says you just need to restrict your sugar intake. Carbs turn into sugar. So it's essentially the same thing. Does your doctor have a nutritionist? Talk to them and see what they have to say. You can definitely have some carbs, but not nearly as much as you are used to having. When I started this process, my husband and I went through our kitchen cupboard and the freezer/fridge and gave everything that was high in carbs to my best friend and her kids. By the time we were done, literally three quarters of the food in our house was gone. We then went out and bought foods that were high in Protein and low in carbs. Lots of meat, pork, chicken, fish, seafood, veggies (both fresh and canned), and calorie/sugar free drinks. After going through several days of generally feeling like crap (after I reduced my carb intake) I was suddenly struck by the fact that I wasn't hungry anymore. I also had much more energy and was more clear headed. It was really quite amazing and I wouldn't have believed it myself if I hadn't experienced it first hand. And believe me, I am the biggest carb addict known to man!

So anyway, that's my whole take on it. All I know is that when I don't eat carbs I'm less hungry and I am definitely losing a ton of weight. I still treat myself to some potatoes or rice or something every now and then, but they are no longer a regular part of my diet.

Diet confusion?

I'd be confused, too.

Hmm...I don't diet.

Thanks for your input. Do you think an attitude like that is really helpful to people?

Diet has more than one meaning. I was referring to this one:

diet: food or feed habitually eaten or provided

Diet confusion?

I'd be confused, too.

Hmm...I don't diet.

Do you eat less of things like starches and other, simple sugars? How much of those do you eat per day?

For what it's worth, I'm not dieting either. I'm changing my lifestyle.

Thanks for you input. Do you think an attitude like that is really helpful to people?

Diet has more than one meaning. I was referring to this one:

diet: food or feed habitually eaten or provided

Hi Jaime

Were you asking me or Grace? :smile2:

I saw a nutritionist before my surgery and she was an idiot, just read me the list of foods they suggest and that was it. Word has it she has been fired because of patient complaints so I'm really not sure if there is a replacement yet. I'll have to ask next time I see my doctor.

I guess my main concern is that I eat well for the band. I realize that just because I can eat it doesn't mean I should. I also know myself and my patterns and when I feel deprived, I don't do well. If there are clear cut things that I should NOT have though, I want to know so I can stay away from them. I used to be a huge soda drinker and I gave that up, though it took some time and I do miss it. I know that it isn't worth it though, and I just don't. I've found other things to drink that I like just as well and I try not to think about it. I guess that's the point I'm trying to make with my questions. It doesn't help that every doctor seems to be so different in their dietary guidelines.

Hi Jaime

Were you asking me or Grace? :smile2:

Sorry, that was to Grace. I think that you and I were posting at the same time.

I don't consider this to be a diet either.

My doctor and his nutritionist never said no carbs, but they did say eat the Protein first, then vegies, then carbs. With my band this means I never get to the carbs because I can't handle that volume of food, so I never even prepare them anymore. I'm not talking about green/yellow vegie carbs, but white carbs. They have very little food value and we eat so little with a band, so I don't feel I can afford to fill up on them at the expense of nutritious food. I don't really consider that "dieting" but just eating good nutritious food.

If I go out and there are potatoes or rice served with the meal, I may take a bite or two, but concentrate on the Protein and vegies part of the meal as I do at home.

Many bandsters cannot eat Pasta at all as it often turns into a glooey mess in your stomach and blocks everything up--very uncomfortable.

I saw a nutritionist before my surgery and she was an idiot, just read me the list of foods they suggest and that was it. Word has it she has been fired because of patient complaints so I'm really not sure if there is a replacement yet. I'll have to ask next time I see my doctor.

I guess my main concern is that I eat well for the band. I realize that just because I can eat it doesn't mean I should. I also know myself and my patterns and when I feel deprived, I don't do well. If there are clear cut things that I should NOT have though, I want to know so I can stay away from them. I used to be a huge soda drinker and I gave that up, though it took some time and I do miss it. I know that it isn't worth it though, and I just don't. I've found other things to drink that I like just as well and I try not to think about it. I guess that's the point I'm trying to make with my questions. It doesn't help that every doctor seems to be so different in their dietary guidelines.

I hear you, I'm not good at the deprivation thing either and it's a set up for failure for me. I have just started to incorporate some rice and potatoes in my diet (no bread as of yet) and I pretty much just follow the bandster philosophy. Proteins first, veggies second and starches last. I modify it a bit so that I will eat say three bites of Protein, a couple of bites of veggies and a small bite of carbs as I don't like eating just one things at a time. I'm still on the search for that miraculous ice cream that has absolutely no carbs but even the stuff with Splenda in it still has a ton. Cookies are definitely out! Oh and my husband just came back from Pennsylvania and what does he bring me??? Fudge!!!!!!!!!! Not even sugar free fudge!!!! They are cut up in very little squares and I could probably even cut them in half or quarters but still!!!!! Maybe my kids will eat them! LOL Oh and he also brought me a chocolate rose! There's just no winning! I'm going to go make my souped up Protein Drink and pretend I'm having a vanilla shake!

It sounds like you are doing well so far. Congrats on giving up the sodas! I know that's hard to do from what I've heard. Tropicana makes some really good sugar free orange ade, fruit punch and lemonade that I like a lot. It doesn't taste diet at all!

Hope this helps!

My doctor and his nutritionist never said no carbs, but they did say eat the Protein first, then vegies, then carbs. With my band this means I never get to the carbs because I can't handle that volume of food, so I never even prepare them anymore. I'm not talking about green/yellow vegie carbs, but white carbs. They have very little food value and we eat so little with a band, so I don't feel I can afford to fill up on them at the expense of nutritious food. I don't really consider that "dieting" but just eating good nutritious food.

If I go out and there are potatoes or rice served with the meal, I may take a bite or two, but concentrate on the Protein and vegies part of the meal as I do at home.

Many bandsters cannot eat Pasta at all as it often turns into a glooey mess in your stomach and blocks everything up--very uncomfortable.

Snowbird, sounds like you are doing perfect!!!!!!!!

:smile2:

Jaimie,

The important thing at this point (two weeks or so out) is to eat the foods your doctor has suggested, whether they are carb or Protein, or whatever. My doctor gave us a specific list of things that were allowable,

Days 1-10 clear low calorie, non fat liquids plus two Protein shakes a day. Mixed with milk the two Protein Shakes a day gave the required Protein for the day. This also included Jello, broth, Isopure clear, Crystal light, juice diluted half and half with Water, etc.

Day 11 - end of week 4, soft solids, mashed potatos, soft cooked Pasta, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, thin oatmeal, cream of wheat, low fat cheese, soft cooked vegetables, canned fruit, no sugar added applesauce, creamy Soups like Tomato, mushroom, cream of chicken,etc.

Week four I can add deli sliced meat or crumbled hamburger like in meatloaf, or meat casseroles,

Week 6 I can add bread and other foods.

Yes I am eating many more carbs than I usually eat to lose weight but I am trying to choose lower carb options like cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, ricotta, string cheese, etc. but sometimes it is nice to have a little mashed potatos or some higher carb Soup. So far it hasn't hurt me. When I get to week 6 I will start eating more high protein and less carb but during this healing phase you need to relax, eat what will go down and digest easily and let your body heal. Most importantly follow your surgeon's guidlines, he knows what will work in his experience. My experience has been that the diets vary widely and you just have to trust the surgeon you have chosen and go with what he says. (I've forgotten who did yours but he probably knows what he is talking about)

Hang in there, get plenty of sunshine and fresh air, take a walk when you are hungry and it isn't time to eat, drink a cup of decalf tea and enjoy this healing time. The weight loss will come when you finish healing and start getting fills. :smile2:

That's probably where the confusion lies. So many doctors have so many different programs, timelines, requirements and such that I think it IS confusing for many people. Sure wish I knew why that was the case. I have also noticed many doctors recommending potatoes and oatmeal, and other high carb foods especially in the mushy phase. My doctor actually says I can have very moist meat in the mushy phase. <shrug> So I guess you're right in saying that you just need to follow doctor's order so he doesn't yell at you :smile2:

Want to clarify....

we all know diets fail.

If we could do it...there would be no WLS.

But, since diets fail...we have options, WLS.

But hey, if you can diet...good for you. Many of us who opt for WLS can't. We are no less worthy...just haven't been sucessful.

When you opt for WLS, your 'diet' changes but you don't have to diet...as in restrict yourself from what you eat.

Diet, as in food.... will be modified to fit a band lifestyle. But that doesn't mean you can never have _____ or ______, or even______. Fill in those blanks with Cookies, ice cream, pizza...or whatever.

With the band, the QUANTITY of food you eat is modified. And after a while, it becomes modifying the behavior.

So, confused with diets! You bet!

Again, I don't diet. And many of us w/ WLS don't. We've relearned how to eat correctly...something we should have done in our youth.

GraceUtah

I guess as long as you are losing weight (which it looks like you have done admirably!) then it's all good. :)

I think my doctor focuses so much on carbs because that is what got most people fat in the first place and it's a habit we need to break. I'm not saying I don't every have any carbs. But I have MUCH less than I used to have! There are times when I might have some pieces of thin crust pizza every now and then, but pre-band I would eat ENTIRE medium hand tossed pizza's sometimes a couple of times a week!!!! That's not normal. I consider the way I eat now, much more normal.