Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Plastic Surgery

Hmm.... it doesn't look like they post everything online, but the "free article" this month is the "golden rules of lap band"

Here's where you get it...

Weight loss surgery and non-surgical treatment of obesity, Learn and Live Healthy!

I have a question for you ladies that have already had PS consults! What questions did you ask??? I went into the lap-band surgery consult with zero questions, but I don't think I want to do this with my TT. I would just use the first consult as a guide for what questions to ask, but I am only having ONE CONSULT. If I don't like this guy I have to back out until I can find another way to finance it. So I want to make sure that I have all my ducks in a row when I go in on Friday.

Salsa, I got this off the main PS thread. Good luck tomorrow!

Originally Posted by Kelliebelly viewpost.gif

Hey,

I had a TT, Breast Lift and Lipo of the flanks back and arms 4 weeks ago.

I asked my Dr shitloads of questions, and I still emailed nearly daily with more questions to ask him up until the surgery. Jamie, just remember be CLEAR as possible about what you want. Let them know exactly so you both go into the op with the exactly the same ideas of the final results...How tight, muscle repair, sutures or staples, how high for the nipple, extended vs normal TT, lipo etc...ask it all!!!!!!!!!!!

I am trying to find my questions I asked him at my first consult so I can show you...

1.Can you tell how far apart the muscles are before the op?

2.How aggresive are you with muscle repair?

3.How tight do you pull the stomach down?

4.How much longer is my ETT scar going to be vs a normal TT scar?

5.How long for the drains - how long for the binder?

6.How much are you going to take off with lipo in the flanks and back area?

7.Is the ETT going to pull the top of my thighs up and my pinny - Will it lift my butt a little also if the scar goes further around?

8.Will I wake up in pain or is that controlled already?

9.How high do you do the boobs with a lift and what happens with them if I lose more weight, say 15kgs

10.Will you use my ceasar scar? How do you do the scar, long or curved or??

11.How much skin app will be removed with my TT?

12.Will I have a roll when I sit?

13.Does the ETT involve the vertical cut also?

14.How do you do the belly button - looks wise? Can it be pierced later?

15.How long till I am standing straight?

16.Will my body match with a flat tummy and a waist etc but still fat arms and thighs?

17.Will me having a port with the lapband effect where you can do the lipo on my flanks?

18.staples, stiches or glue?

19.Do we use Bromelain, Arnica or lymphatic massage afterwards?

20.Is pain levels controlled by a pump after?

21.Will I lose nipple sensation?

22.What kind of cut do you do with the TT and the breasts.

23.What kind of belly button do you create.

These are questions copied from a plastic surgery forum I am a member of :

Muscle Repair

Most women who are seeking a tummy tuck will require some muscle repair. Childbirth, weight gain, and aging all contribute. The fascia which holds the muscles together to form a strong core is actually what is repaired, not the muscles. To understand what the fascia is, think about the gristley part of a steak. The part between the meat and the fat. That is what the PS's sew back together to draw the muscles back in. For those who need MR, it can be what causes the most dramatic changes in appearance. Most women having a FTT will have roughly the same amount of skin removed, the area between the pubic mound to just above the belly button. The main difference between a good TT and a great TT is in the details of the MR and the incisions. Having the muscles pulled in nice and tight is what brings in the waist line and the sides, so as to 'frame' the body that the skin will drape over. So how do you know which Drs do the better job? Here's a few tips.

* First educate yourself by looking at tons of pics. You can find many right here on MMH -Pictures. Compare one persons results with the other. Visit the Tummy Tuck Message Boards, and follow the recoveries of women. Who was standing straight at what point, how do their results compare with others? What was their initial body type in comparison to yours? Learn to look at pictures with a discerning eye, that's how you'll be able to judge the work of the PS when you visit for a consult. I like to compare a good TT with getting a good paint job. If you take an old rusty car to Maaco and get the $199 special, you'll still be thrilled with the results in comparison to the befores. But if you take the same car to the custom shop, and they remove the bumpers and rebadge and do extra body work, you would be able to tell the difference when compared side by side. In PS, surgeons usually charge about the same in a given geographic area, so make sure you're getting the custom job.

* Ask your PS what his philosophy on MR is.. He won't be able to gaurantee you what he'll be able to do for you until he gets into surgery, but he should be able to tell you what he 'usually' does. Is he aggressive? How close - in mm's - will he try and pull them together? How soon can you expect to stand straight? If he tells you, you can stand straight w/i a week, then he either doesn't do aggressive MR, or you didn't need it. Some PS still don't do any MR, and some do only a modest amount. They have their reasons. There's a longer recovery time, more pain for the patient. It also takes them longer in surgery to do a good job, as it usually requires more layers of stitches to do it tighter and have it hold. Discuss your Dr's techniques and his philosophy with him to make sure your expectations are on the same page. Your case may be one where MR is either not required or where he can't be as aggressive for very real reasons. Make sure you have all the info you need to make the right choice.

Sutures and Closure

Most Dr's will use disolvable internal sutures. Where they vary most is in how they close the incision. Here's the most common types:

* Steri-strips or tape. This is placed over the incision to help the 'top' close cleanly. Your Dr will usually advise you not to shower for several days up to a week, to allow the incision to close before exposing to Water.

* Glue. If your insicison has been sealed with glue, then you will be able to shower on or about day 2, as the glue will prevent Water from touching the incision. Within a week or so, the glue will begin to peel off.

* There are still a few Dr's that use staples. There is some risk that the staples will cause extra scarring, tho alot of women have done just fine. And the staples will have to be removed during the first week.

Scar Placement

As with everything else, this largely is a preference determined by the PS, depending on your body type, the amount of skin to be removed, and the natural fold of the skin. If you get an Extended TT (ETT), then your incision will go all the to the back of your hips. If you have a mini TT (MTT), then your scar will be low and much smaller than most. You may or may not be able to have much say over where the scar is placed, as doing it other than the way the PS recommends could give less than satisfactory results and cause issues such as 'dog ears'.

* Where does he recommend the inisicion be placed?

* Will it be the smiley face shape or a more straight line?

* Can you wear your favorite panties or swim suit to help determine the placement?

* How far back will the inicision go?

Binders

Here in the states most Dr's use a binder for at least some period of time. It helps close the space that was created when seperating the skin/fat from the fascia, which keeps Fluid from collecting. This is to help prevent complications such as a seroma or a hematoma. It can also reduce the amount of swelling by compressing the tissue and forcing fluids out. Some Dr's recommend the Stage 1 binder for a week or two, before graduating you up to a stage 2 garment . A stage 2 garment is usually just a high waisted support panty that you can buy in a store. You don't want something that just comes to the waist, as it can pinch the ab muscles and be extremely uncomfortable. Some Dr's will take the binder away from you in a couple of weeks and not have you use anything. And then there are some - especially in Great Britian - who don't use a binder or garment at all.

* Will you wake up in a binder after surgery? If so, what kind? How long will you need to wear this binder?

* If you're to provide your own, what does he recommend?

* If you're having a combination of procedures, such as a "breast augmentation" or liposuction, how will that effect the garment you should wear?

* Can or should you wear a stage 2, and if so, when can you switch from the binder, and how long should you remain in it?

Drains

Almost all Drs use drains of some type. This is because the lymph system has been disrupted with the skin removal and incision. The drains are put in to assist the body in removing the fluids, so as to reduce swelling and prevent a build up that could cause a seroma or a hematoma. There are some new techniques available now, where drains aren't required. One is a procedure where a sort of 'glue' is made from your own blood to seal the pocket, and another is called pregressive tension sutures, which also closes that pockets. Since they're both pretty new at this point, alot of Dr's are taking a wait and see approach before using this technique for themselves.

* Where does the Dr put the entry points for the drains? In the incision directly? Or in the pubis area? Will there be a seperate scar?

* How long does he typically leave the drains in? Will he remove one first and then the other? Does it depend on the amount of Fluid being drained?

* Is there a max length of time that he'll leave a drain in? If it extends for longer than anticipated, does he prescribe antibiotics so as to prevent infection?

Time off work

The amount of time for recovery depends alot on the amount of MR, as well as the general health and condition of the patient. It seems that most Dr's will recommend at least 2 weeks before returning to work, depending on the type of work you do. Even with a desk job. Sitting can be harder than standing, because of the pressure it puts on the MR. If you return to work at a desk job, make sure you get up often and move around to prevent the muscles from cramping up. During lunch, I would often go out to my car and lean the seat all the way back, so I could rest the muscles mid-day.

* How long before you can return to work full time?

* How soon before you can resume household duties? I recommend at least 6 months off from this activity. ; )

* How soon before you can take care of small children if you have them?

* How long before you can resume exercise? Walking? Weights?

* How soon can you drive?

Definitions

seroma

A mass or swelling caused by the localized accumulation of serum within a tissue or organ.

hematoma

A localized swelling filled with blood resulting from a break in a blood vessel.

fascia

A sheet or band of fibrous connective tissue enveloping, separating, or binding together muscles, organs, and other soft structures of the body.

As for weight, you will lose about 6 or so kgs if you have a TT. Thats average, some dont lose any. It will also take a while to see it come off because of swelling etc. My Ps said that you can lose another 20 kgs or so after a TT so it doesnt effect the results. I really have to stress that muscle repair is a huge factor of the final results with a TT. It is an absolute must. Make sure you and your PS are both clear that he performs it, because some dont. Also make sure you look at lot of pics of patients they have done with the same procedure.

I think you are a perfect weight now to have it done and will get optimal results being so close to your goal.

Good Luck if want to know anything else just let me know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelliebelly viewpost.gif

Also, make sure you ask lots of questions about the Dr performing the surgery on someone with a band. Have they done it before. Also have them consult with your banding Dr so they know exactly where the port is and how far they can pull before pressure is placed on it. My Dr couldnt pull my tummy down as tight as he would have liked because it was causing alot of pressure on my port.

Hi Salsa,

Questions are a good thing -- ask lots of questions. A good Dr. will patiently, respectfully, and thoroughly answer all of your questions.

I am definitely a woman who asks lots and lots and lots of questions. I'm certain that I drive people a little crazy sometimes with all of my questions, but that's okay. This is my body and I want to know exactly what's being done to it and how -- and I want to ensure that whatever being done to me is carried out with the highest standards of safety and care.

The previous post gave you an excellent list of technical questions to ask, but here are some more general questions for you to ask during the initial consult.

Some of these things I'm sure are already on your list. Also, you can find some of the answers to these questions on the Internet and I am providing a few links that you can use.

1) Ask to see a Curriculum Vitae or find one online in advance of your appointment. You want to see where your Dr. went to school, and what training that they have had (and where and for how long) after graduation.

2) Make sure the CV has dates. I came across the CV of one plastic surgeon that omitted dates. After a little bit more digging around I found out why -- he had only completed his plastic surgery training last year and had started his practice shortly thereafter. I'm sure this young Dr. is on the road to a fine career, but I personally thought his tactic of omitting dates was a little less than honest, and he was immediately removed from consideration for that very reason.

(On a related note, I have a personal preference for surgeons between the ages of 40 - 60. I want them to have significant experience in their field, but to be young, energetic, and enthusiastic enough to have learned and kept up with the latest advances and techniques. I know this is a bit of ageism on my part, but so be it. This is my personal preference, and this criteria has worked well for me thus far.)

3) Ask what board certifications your Dr. has. For plastic surgeons, you want be sure that your Dr. belongs to the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS). You can check to see if your Doctor belongs by linking through the ABPS website: www.abplsurg.org

4) For whatever procedure your Dr. proposes ask the following questions:

A) How long has the Dr. been doing this procedure?

:tt2: How many of these procedures has the Dr. performed? (an important question, as practice makes perfect when it comes to surgery)

C) How, where, and when did the Dr. obtain the necessary training to perform this procedure?

D) Where will the procedure be done?

E) Will the surgery be done in a hospital or a clinic? I know that thousands of surgeries are done safely every day in clinics, but a hospital is my personal preference. There is usually only a minuscule chance that something will go wrong, but if it does, I want to be in a place that has all of the doctors, staff and equipment needed to handle any emergency situation -- which is why I prefer a hospital.

F) If the surgery is being done in a hospital, do your research and make sure that it is a reputable, high-quality, hospital (as you know, not all hospitals are created equal).

G) If the surgery is being done in a clinic, I would ask your Dr. if the clinic is accredited and by what organization, I would also ask to see the facility, and what exactly what the facility is equipped with.

Questions regarding whatever procedure(s) your Dr. recommends:

1) Is this the best procedure for me to correct the area(s) I'm concerned with?

2) What kind of results should I expect from this procedure?

3) What risks are involved in this procedure

4) How long will I be in surgery?

5) How long will I be in the hospital (or clinic)?

5) How long is the recovery period?

6) What should I do prior to surgery to ensure the best results?

Good luck tomorrow Salsa :huh2::smile::lol:!

And Kelliebellie, I am wowed by your post! Thanks for giving us so many more great questions to ask!!!

flower-pot.jpg

Crazy Ates April Exercise Challenge

0/30 Exercise Sessions

weight.png

Banded 8/07/07 Dr. Miguel Zapata, Monterrey Mexico

Edited by Frangipani

Me again :biggrin:!

Oh, oh. Now you've got me going, hopefully you will be able to get me to stop........

The other post was getting too long, but I also want to say that you should always check to see if your Dr. is currently licensed in the state in which he or she practices and you will want to also check to see if there were or are any types disciplinary or civil actions taken against him or her (hopefully not).

Here is some information to assist you in finding out that information. I copied this from another website (List of all 50 State Medical Boards).

Hopefully the links provided are all up-to-date, but I have not double-checked this.

State Medical Boards:

Alabama State Board of Medical Examiners

Larry D. Dixon, Executive Administrator

P.O. Box 946

Montgomery, AL 36101-0946 (street address: 848 Washington Ave.)

(334) 242-4116 / Fax:(334) 242-4155

(800) 227-2606

Alabama Board of Medical Examiners

Alaska State Medical Board

Leslie A. Gallant, Executive Administrator

550 West Seventh Ave., Suite 1500

Anchorage, AK 99501

(907) 269-8163 / Fax:(907) 269-8196

Alaska Division of Corporations, Business, and Professional Licensing

Arizona Medical Board

Timothy C. Miller, Executive Director

9545 East Doubletree Ranch Road

Scottsdale, AZ 85258-5514

(480) 551-2700 / Fax: (480) 551-2704

Arizona Medical Board - Protecting the Public's Health

Arizona Board of Osteopathic Examiners in Medicine and Surgery

Elaine LeTarte, Executive Director

9535 East Doubletree Ranch Road

Scottsdale, AZ 85258-5539

(480) 657-7703 Fax (480) 657-7715

Untitled Document

Arkansas State Medical Board

Peggy P. Cryer, Executive Secretary

2100 Riverfront Dr.

Little Rock, AR 72202-1793

(501) 296-1802 / Fax:(501) 603-3555

www.armedicalboard.org

Medical Board of California

David T. Thornton, Executive Director

1426 Howe Ave., Suite 54

Sacramento, CA 95825-3236

(916) 263-2389 / Fax:(916) 263-2387

(800) 633-2322

Welcome to the Medical Board of California

Osteopathic Medical Board of California

Linda J. Bergmann, Executive Director

2720 Gateway Oaks Dr., Suite 350

Sacramento, CA 95833-3500

(916) 263-3100 / Fax:(916) 263-3117

Untitled Document

Colorado Board of Medical Examiners

Susan Miller, Program Administrator

1560 Broadway, Suite 1300

Denver, CO 80202-5140

(303) 894-7690 / Fax:(303) 894-7692

Colorado Board of Medical Examiners

Connecticut Medical Examining Board

Jeff Kardys, Board Liaison

P.O. Box 340308

Hartford, CT 06134-0308

(street address 410 Capitol Ave., MS13PHO)

(860) 509-7648 / Fax:(860) 509-7553

Licensing Information,(860) 509-7563

www.dph.state.ct.us

Delaware Board of Medical Practice

Gayle Franzolino, Executive Director

P.O. Box 1401

Dover, DE 19903

(street address: 861 Silver Lake Blvd., Cannon Building, Suite 203,

19904)

(302) 739-4522 / Fax:(302) 739-2711

www.professionallicensing.state.de.us

District of Columbia Board of Medicine

James R. Granger, Jr., Executive Director

825 North Capital Street, NE, 2nd Floor

Washington, DC 20002

(202) 442-9200/ Fax: (202) 442-9431

dchealth.dc.gov

Florida Board of Medicine

Larry McPherson, Esq., Executive Director Department of Health

4052 Bald Cypress Way, BIN #C03

Tallahassee, FL 32399-3253

(850) 245-4131/ Fax:(850) 488-9325

Florida Department of Health

Florida Board of Osteopathic Medicine

Pamela King, Executive Director

4052 Bald Cypress Way, BIN C06

Tallahassee, FL 32399-1753

(850) 245-4161 / Fax:(850) 487-9874

Florida Department of Health

Georgia Composite State Board of Medical Examiners

LaSharn Hughes, Executive Director

2 Peachtree Street, NW, 36th Floor

Atlanta, GA 30303

(404) 656-3913 / Fax:(404) 656-9723

Composite State Board of Medical Examiners

Guam Board of Medical Examiners

Chalsea Torres, Acting Administrator

Health Professionals Licensing Office

651 Legacy Square Commercial Complex

South Route 10, Suite 9

Margilao, GU 96913

(011) 671-735-7406-8 / Fax:(011) 671-735-7413

Hawaii Board of Medical Examiners

Constance Cabral, Executive Officer

Department of Commerce & Consumer Affairs

P.O. Box 3469

Honolulu, HI 96813 (street address: 335 Merchant St., Room 301, 96813)

(808) 586-3000 / Fax:(808) 586-2874

Professional and Vocational Licensing (PVL) — Department of Commerce & Consumer Affairs

Idaho State Board of Medicine

Nancy Kerr, Executive Director

1755 Westgate Drive, Suite 140

Boise, ID 83704

(street address: 83704)

(208) 327-7000 / Fax:(208) 327-7005

Board of Medicine, Idaho

Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation

Division of Professional Regulation,

Daniel E. Bluthardt, Acting Director Chicago Office

disciplinary issues) Doris Barnes,

Disciplinary Board Liaison James R. Thompson

Center 100 W Randolph Street, Suite 9-300

Chicago, IL 60601

( 312) 814-4500 / Fax: (312) 814-1837

State of Illinois | Department of Financial and Professional Regulation

Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation Division of Professional Regulation, Daniel E. Bluthardt, Acting Director Springfield Office (licensure issues)

Sandra Dunn, Licensure Manager

320 W. Washington St., 3rd Floor

Springfield, IL 62786

(217) 785-0800 / Fax:(217) 524-2169

State of Illinois | Department of Financial and Professional Regulation

Indiana Health Professions Bureau

Lisa R. Hayes, J.D., Executive Director

402 W. Washington St., Room 041

Indianapolis, IN 46204

(317) 232-2960 / Fax:(317) 233-4236

PLA: Home

Iowa State Board of Medical Examiners

Ann Mowery, Ph.D., Executive Director

400 Southwest Eighth Street, Suite C

Des Moines, IA 50309-4686

(515) 281-5171 / Fax:(515) 242-5908

Iowa Board of Medicine

Kansas Board of Healing Arts

Lawrence Buening Jr., J.D., Executive Director

235 South Topeka Blvd.

Topeka, KS 66603-3068

(785) 296-7413 / Fax:(785) 296-0852

Kansas State Board of Healing Arts

Kentucky Board of Medical Licensure

C. William Schmidt, Executive Director

Hurstbourne Office Park

310 Whittington Parkway, Suite 1B

Louisville, KY 40222-4916

(502) 429-8046 / Fax:(502) 429-9923

kbml.ky.gov

Louisiana State Board of Medical Examiners

John B. Bobear M.D., Executive Director

P.O. Box 30250

New Orleans, LA 70190-0250 (street address: 630 Camp St., 70130)

(504) 568-6820 / Fax:(504) 568-8893

Louisiana State Board of Medical Examiners

Maine Board of Licensure in Medicine

Randal C. Manning, Executive Director

137 State House Station (U.S. mail)

2 Bangor Street, 2nd Floor (delivery service)

Augusta, ME 04333

(207) 287-3601 / Fax:(207) 287-6590

Maine Board of Licensure in Medicine Home Page

Maine Board of Osteopathic Licensure

Susan E. Strout, Executive Secretary

142 State House Station

Augusta, ME 04333-0142

(207) 287-2480 (207) 287-3015

Maine Board of Osteopathic Licensure

Maryland Board of Physicians

C. Irving Pinder, Executive Director

P.O. Box 2571

Baltimore, MD 21215-0095

(street address: 4201 Patterson Ave., third floor, 21215)

(410) 764-4777 / Fax:(410) 358-2252

(800) 492-6836

www.bpqa.state.md.us

Massachusetts Board of Registration in Medicine

Nancy Achin Audesse, Executive Director

560 Harrison Ave., Suite G-4

Boston, MA 02118

(617) 654-9800 / Fax:(617) 451-9568

(800) 377-0550

Page - Board of Registration in Medicine

Michigan Board of Medicine

Ann Marie Stafford, Licensing Director

P.O. Box 30670

Lansing, MI 48909-8170

(street address: 611 W. Ottawa St, 1st floor, 48933)

(517) 373-6873 / Fax:(517) 373-2179

CIS Redirect

Michigan Board of Osteopathic Medicine and Surgery

Ann Marie Stafford, Licensing Director

P.O. Box 30670

Lansing, MI 48909-8170 (street address: 611 W. Ottawa St, 1st floor, 48933)

(517) 373-6873 / Fax:(517) 373-2179

CIS Redirect

Minnesota Board of Medical Practice

Robert A. Leach, J.D., Executive Director University Park Plaza

2829 University Ave. SE, Suite 500

Minneapolis, MN 55414-3246

(612) 617-2130 / Fax:(612) 617-2166

Hearing impaired 1-800-627-3529

Minnesota BMP : Home

Mississippi State Board of Medical Licensure

W. Joseph Burnett, M.D., Director

1867 Crane Ridge Drive, Suite 200B

Jackson, MS 39216

(601) 987-3079 / Fax:(601) 987-4159

MSBML Homepage

Missouri State Board of Registration for the Healing Arts

Tina M. Steinman, Executive Director

3605 Missouri Blvd.

Jefferson City, MO 65109

(street address: 3605 Missouri Blvd., 65109)

(573) 751-0098 / Fax:(573) 751-3166

www.ecodev.state.mo.us/pr/healarts/

Montana Board of Medical Examiners

Jeannie Worsech, Executive Director

P.O. Box 200513

Helena, MT 59620-0513

(406) 841-2300 / Fax: (406) 841-2363

Discovering Montana

Nebraska Board of Medicine and Surgery

Health and Human Services

Regulation and Licensure Credentialing Division

Becky Wisell, Section Administrator

P.O. Box 94986 Lincoln, NE 68509-4986

(402) 471-2118 / Fax:(402) 471-3577

Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services

Nevada State Board of Medical Examiners

Tony Clark, JD, Executive Secretary

1105 Terminal Way, Suite 301

Reno, NV 89502

(775) 688-2559 / Fax:(775) 688-2321

State of Nevada - Board of Medical Examiners

Nevada State Board of Osteopathic Medicine

Larry J. Tarno, D.O., Executive Director

860 E. Flamingo Rd., Suite G

Las Vegas, NV 89121

(702) 732-2147 / Fax:(702) 732-2079

Nevada State - Board of Osteopathic Medicine

New Hampshire Board of Medicine

Penny Taylor, Administrator

2 Industrial Park Drive, Suite 8

Concord, NH 03301-8520

(603) 271-1203 / Fax:(603) 271-6702

complaints (800) 780-4757

New Hampshire State Board of Medicine (NHBM)

New Jersey State Board of Medical Examiners

William V. Roeder, Executive Director

P.O. Box 183 Trenton, NJ 08625-0183

(609) 826-7100 / Fax:(609) 826-7117

New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs Health-Related Boards

New Mexico Medical Board

Charlotte Kinney, Executive Director

2055 S. Pacheco, Building 400

Santa Fe, NM 87505

(505)476-7220 / Fax:(505) 476-7237

www.state.nm.us/nmbme

New Mexico Board of Osteopathic Medical Examiners

Annette Rodriguez, Executive Director

2550 Cerrillos Road Santa Fe, NM 87505

(505) 476-4695 / Fax:(505) 476-4665

Redirect to the right page

New York State Board for Medicine (Licensure)

Thomas J. Monahan, Executive Secretary

89 Washington Avenue, 2nd Floor,

West Wing Albany, NY 12234

(518) 474-3817 Ext. 560 / Fax:(518) 486-4846

Office of the Professions - NYS Education Department

New York State Board for Professional Medical Conduct (Discipline)

Dennis J. Graziano, Executive Director

Department of Health Office of Professional Medical Conduct

433 River St., Suite 303

Troy, NY 12180-2299

(518) 402-0855 / Fax:(518) 402-0866

New York State Department of Health

North Carolina Medical Board

R. David Henderson, J.D., Executive Director

P.O. Box 20007

Raleigh, NC 27619

(919) 326-1100 / Fax:(919) 326-1130

NCMB Home Page

North Dakota State Board of Medical Examiners

Rolf P. Sletten, J.D., Executive Secretary/Treasurer City Center Plaza

418 E. Broadway, Suite 12

Bismarck, ND 58501

(701) 328-6500 / Fax:(701) 328-6505

NDSBME Main Page

Northern Mariana Islands

Medical Professional Licensing Board

Juanet S. Crisostomo, Adminstrator

P.O. Box 501458, CK

Saipan, MP 96950

(670) 664-4811 / Fax:(670) 664-4813

Saipan Information, Tinian Information, Rota Information @ The CNMI Guide - Your guide to Saipan, Tinian and Rota

State Medical Board of Ohio

Thomas A. Dilling, J.D., Executive Director

77 S. High St., 17th Floor

Columbus, OH 43215-6127

(614) 466-3934 / Fax:(614) 728-5946

(800) 554-7717

State Medical Board of Ohio

Oklahoma State Board of Medical Licensure and Supervision

Lyle Kelsey, C.A.E., Executive Director

P.O. Box 18256

Oklahoma City, OK 73118

(405) 848-6841 / Fax:(405) 848-8240

(800) 381-4519

Oklahoma Board of Medical Licensure & Supervision

Oklahoma State Board of Osteopathic Examiners

Gary R. Clark, Executive Director

4848 N. Lincoln Blvd, Suite 100

Oklahoma City, OK 73105-3321

(405) 528-8625 / Fax:(405) 557-0653

Administrators in Medicine

Oregon Board of Medical Examiners

Kathleen Haley, J.D., Executive Director

1500 SW First Avenue, 620 Crown Plaza

Portland, OR 97201-5826

(503) 229-5770 / Fax:(503) 229-6543

Redirect Webpage

Pennsylvania State Board of Medicine

Joanne Troutman, Administrator

P.O. Box 2649

Harrisburg, PA 17105-2649

(717) 787-2381 / Fax:(717) 787-7769

Department of State

Pennsylvania State Board of Osteopathic Medicine Gina K. Bittner,

Administrator P.O. Box 2649

Harrisburg, PA 17105-2649 (street address: 124 Pine St., 17101)

(717) 783-4858 / Fax:(717) 787-7769

Department of State

Board of Medical Examiners of Puerto Rico

Pablo Valentin-Torres, Esq., Executive Director

P.O. Box 13969

San Juan, PR 00908

(787) 782-8949 / Fax:(787) 792-4436

Rhode Island Board of Medical Licensure and Discipline

Robert S. Crausman, MD,

Chief Administrator Department of Health Cannon Building,

Room 205 Three Capitol Hill

Providence, RI 02908-5097

(401) 222-3855 / Fax:(401) 222-2158

www.docboard.org/ri/main.htm

South Carolina Board of Medical Examiners

Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation

John D. Volmer, Board Administrator

110 Centerview Drive, Suite 202

Columbia, SC 29210-1289

(803) 896-4500 / Fax:(803) 896-4515

South Carolina Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation

South Dakota State Board of Medical and Osteopathic Examiners

L. Paul Jensen, Executive Secretary

1323 S. Minnesota Ave.

Sioux Falls, SD 57105

(605) 334-8343 / Fax:(605) 336-0270

South Dakota Department of Health

Tennessee Board of Medical Examiners

Rosemarie Otto, Executive Director

425 5th Ave. North, 1st Floor, Cordell Hull Building

Nashville, TN 37247-1010

(615) 532-3202 / Fax:(615) 253-4484

Tennessee Department of Health

Tennessee Board of Osteopathic Examiners

Rosemarie Otto, Executive Director

425 5th Ave. North, 1st Floor, Cordell Hull Building

Nashville, TN 37247-1010

(615) 532-3202/ Fax:(615) 253-4484

(888) 310-4650

Tennessee Department of Health

Texas State Board of Medical Examiners

Donald W. Patrick, M.D., J.D., Executive Director

P.O. Box 2018

Austin, TX 78768-2018

(512) 305-7010/Fax: (512) 305-7008

Disciplinary Hotline (800) 248-4062

Consumer Complaint Hotline (800) 201-9353

www.tsbme.state.tx.us

Utah Department of Commerce

Div. of Occupational & Professional Licensure Physicians Licensing Board

Craig J. Jackson, R.Ph.

160 E 300 South, 84102, Heber M. Wells Building, 4th Floor

Salt Lake City, UT 84114

(801) 530-6628 / Fax:(801) 530-6511

Utah Division of Occupational & Professional Licensing

Utah Department of Commerce

Div. of Occupational & Professional Licensure Board of Osteopathic Medicine

Diana T. Baker, Bureau Manager

160 E 300 South, 84102,

Heber M. Wells Building, 4th Floor

Salt Lake City, UT 84114

(801) 530-6628 / Fax:(801) 530-6511

Utah Division of Occupational & Professional Licensing

Vermont Board of Medical Practice

Paula DiStabile, Executive Director

108 Cherry Street

Burlington, VT 05402-0070

(802) 657-4220 / Fax:(802) 657-4227

Redirect to healthvermont.gov - Vermont Department of Health

Vermont Board of Osteopathic Physicians and Surgeons

Jessica Porter, Director, Office of Professional Regulation

26 Terrace Street, Drawer 09

Montpelier, VT 05609-1106

(802) 828-2373 / Fax:(802) 828-2465

Vermont Secretary of State - Office of Professional Regulation

Virgin Islands Board of Medical Examiners

Lydia Scott, Executive Assistant Department of Health

48 Sugar Estate

St. Thomas, VI 00802

(340) 774-0117/ Fax:(340) 777-4001

Virginia Board of Medicine

William L. Harp, M.D., Executive Director

6603 W. Broad St., 5th Floor

Richmond, VA 23230-1717

(804) 662-9908 / Fax:(804) 662-9517

Virginia Department of Health Professions - Home

Washington Medical Quality Assurance Commission

Blake T. Maresh, M.P.A., Executive Director

Department of Health

310 Israel Road, SE MS 47866

Tumwater, WA 98501

(360) 236-4788 / Fax:(360) 586-4573

Washington State Department of Health (DOH) Home Page

Washington State Board of Osteopathic Medicine and Surgery

Robert Nicoloff, Executive Director

Department of Health

P.O Box 47869 Olympia, WA 98504-7869

(360) 236-4945 / Fax:(360) 236-2406

Washington State Department of Health (DOH) Home Page

West Virginia Board of Medicine

Ronald D. Walton, Executive Director

101 Dee Drive

Charleston, WV 25311

(304) 558-2921 / Fax:(304) 558-2084

WVBOM

West Virginia Board of Osteopathy

Cheryl Schreiber, Executive Secretary

334 Penco Rd.

Weirton, WV 26062

(304) 723-4638 / Fax:(304) 723-2877

Redirect

Wisconsin Medical Examining Board

Department of Regulation and Licensing

Thomas Ryan, Bureau Director

1400 E. Washington Ave.

Madison, WI 53703

(608) 266-2112 / Fax:(608) 261-7083

Welcome to the Wisconsin Department of Regulation & Licensing

Wyoming Board of Medicine

Carole Shotwell, J.D., Executive Secretary

211 W. 19th St., Colony Bldg., 2nd Floor

Cheyenne, WY 82002

(307) 778-7053 / Fax:(307) 778-2069

wyomedboard.state.wy.us

Hope this helps -- Good Luck :lol::smile::w00t:!

flower-pot.jpg

0/30 Exercise Sessions

weight.png

Edited by Frangipani

Good info!

So, is everyone doing their surgery in the US now, or are you still considering surgeons outside the US? I'm still curious about what "boards" etc they have in other countries and how thorough their records and training requirements are. Has anyone researched it?

If I wind up in San Diego, it would be a consideration to save money going to MX, if I felt I knew enough about their safety standards (not just what the docs say about themselves).

Hi Pizzi,

I haven't decided where I'm going yet, but Mexico is still an option for me. I have gathered a fair amount of info from my research regarding Mexican Plastic Surgeons, but there is still more work to be done.

I firmly believe that Mexico can be an excellent and affordable option, but finding the right Dr. obviously is more difficult and takes a lot more research. For starters, you will want to be certain that any Mexican plastic surgeon you might choose belongs to this organization: ISAPS The International Society Of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery

I had an excellent experience having my Lap Band surgery in Mexico, and would not hesitate to recommend my Bariatric Surgeon to anyone.

Thus far, I have no experience with plastic surgery in Mexico, but will update when (if) I do, and Pizzi, I would be happy to help you research any Dr. you might be interested in. I enjoy researching, so it would be no problem for me to help you out with this.

Okay guys, I have a million and one things to do today, so I better run. More later :biggrin::smile::lol:!

flower-pot.jpg

0/30 Exercise Sessions

weight.png

Frangi, thanks for the great info. Your list is going to help many of us.

Pizzi, I've decided not to consider Mexico - husband is too leery - not worth the conflict. I am really hoping to find a good match in Dallas.

I know I posted this in the Exercise Thread but since this is where we should be discussing this I will put it here too. I am trying to keep my chin up and hoping that I get some news on Monday but it is very disheartning. On one hand the surgeon definetly agreed that I need to have the TT but on the other hand wouldn't do it because of the extensive nature. I guess that I should be happy that he is such a good doc and isnt going to take risks with my life. He said that he likes to treat patients like his family and if it was his family he wouldn't let them have this major of a surgery so far away from home.

REPOST FROM EXERCISE THREAD

The bad news is that the plastic surgeon that we saw doesn't want to do the surgery because it is going to be VERY EXTENSIVE and he feels that it is too far away from home. He was a very good surgeon and feels that he could do the surgery, but the likelyhood of complications (separated incision, infection, seromas which is liquid pooling under the skin) would just make it too risky to do when we live 3 hours away. Plus there is more potential for complications when they remove a lot of weight and he expects me to lose 10+ pounds from the tummy tuck! So he refered me to some surgeons over here. When I called the 4 that are here on Friday these were the results: 1 said they wouldn't do the surgery because it was too extensive, 1 didn't have a financing program, 1 said they didn't have financing BUT they would try to get it approved through insurance because of my back pain, and the other one didn't answer. The one that didn't answer does use CareCredit and I did get approved for that last night so that is an option. Also, my SIL (funny to say that now!) lives an hour from the original surgeon that I saw so I have a call into him to see if he would do the surgery if we stayed with her for a month. She graciously said that would be just fine. SOOOOOO I still have options. Also with the ability to get financed through CareCredit, I can expand where I look for surgeons and have it done in WA and stay with my brother as well. My problem is that I am running out of time. I have to have the surgery done from the end of June through the first 2 weeks in July. Anytime after that I don't know that I would be ready to go back to work at the end of August.

Before I go I have my weigh in news. It is mixed news. I lost 2 pounds so that means that I am in the 150s :regular_smile: But I lost 2 pounds and I am not supposed to be losing weight. Here is the thing though. I got into the 150s so I think I can now put my whole heart into maintenance. There was always that part of me that wanted to get there. Now I am there and now I can focus more on staying stable.

Hang in there- the right situation will happen!!

Alright so I have some positive news on the PS front. I called the doc that I was referred to and did get financing for in town and it looks doable. I have a consultation scheduled for May 7th and they have surgery dates open for when I need them in July so this is sounding more doable. It will make it nicer that the doc is in town. No more running over to the other side of the mountains to get medical care. just one of the many things that I don't care about our little town. But I feel a little better. I did talk to the doc in Portland and he just isn't comfortable doing the surgery. I think part of it is because of the distance and the other part is because he told me that it was not going to look perfect and flat. Because of my anatomy and the torture that 90+ pounds did to it for so long that I am never going to acheive that perfectly flat tummy. Despite my assurance that all I want to do is get rid of the 2 rolls, I think he still had reservations that I would be unhappy and sue him. I don't blame him, it just makes it a little frustrating that we are such a sue happy society. So anywho, I am keeping my fingers and toes crossed that this works out. For me it makes it a bonus because this doc is a female and I think I will be more comfortable with that fact alone.

Alright so should we add another loop-de-loop in the roller coaster ride of Karri's plastic surgery journey. The original doc that I saw called back today and after consultation with the nurses and anesthesiologist agreed to do the surgery as long as I stay with my SIL. YEAH I really liked this guy. Plus it will be totally financed and I already had the payment arragments met. So we have tenatively scheduled surgery for June 20th. I wanted to secure the date because his next opening at the surgery center was July 18th and I didn't want to wait that long. Yipee!!!

Wow- congratulations! You're having quite a week, girl!