Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Plastic Surgery

Candle, yes I worry about regaining because I have a history of doing just that - many times. I really feel different this time though. I've made up my mind that I'm getting too old to keep doing this again and again. That's why I took the drastic measure of being banded. I believe that with the help of my band and my new exercise habits I can maintain now. I've never had that confidence before. Getting my body fixed will just be more motivation to keep it fixed! Best of luck as you continue your journey. You have done a great job and you looked fantastic in the last picture you posted. We are all overly critical of ourselves.

Christine, its with Harlan. I wasn't sure which one you used, but after I told her about my weight loss and "knowing" you, she suggested Harlan. Was he your doc?

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to post an update on my thoughts re: plastic surgery locales. I mentioned earlier that I am open to US, Mexico or South America (Argentina or Brazil).

I am now crossing South America off my list. For the kind of surgery I'm thinking about having (LBL or TT), I have decided that South America is just too far and too unfamiliar as a destination to have surgery. I'm sure there are some fine surgeons there, but since I don't know any, trying to find one from afar is just too hard and too anxiety provoking for me.

I still plan on going to Buenos Aires for a visit at some point though, I have heard it's beautiful and the shopping is supposed to be fabulous :(:smile::wink:!

misc14.gif

Crazy Ates March Exercise Challenge

17/30 Exercise Sessions

(9 Cardio, 4 Core Strength & flexibility, 4 Weight training)

weight.png

Banded 8/07/07 Dr. Miguel Zapata, Monterrey Mexico

Frangi, If we can't find a good surgeon and a fair deal in the US or Mexico, I'm going to be really disappointed. My consult with LJM's doc is Friday. I've checked his website and read his journal articles about his drainless technique. I'm really, really, hoping I like him and his price, because I love the idea of no drains. If you haven't checked him/them out its North Dallas Plastic Surgery: Cosmetic Surgery in Dallas and Plano, TX.

Regarding your earlier post; I agree completely that clothes, fashion, & shopping are of major importance to me (actually one of life's greatest pleasures when I being shallow and self absorbed, lol).

DH is happy with me as I am/was/will be. He has seen alot of versions of me over the last 30+ years - poor guy. It doesn't matter to him (although, I'm sure he'll be thrilled with the "after") whether I do this or not. So it is up to me to decide what will please me the most. The more I think about it and the more we talk about it here, the more realistic my thoughts are becoming. I have already put aside the fantasy of everything being near perfect and I'm getting comfortable with the idea of a flat tummy and lifted breasts. If it turns out that I can't get both done in the same surgery, then I'll definately do the tummy first and think about the breasts down the road. I'll let you know how the next consult goes.

Becky,

he is not cheap... my total cost was about 12,500 for extended TT, mego Lipo and 2 nights in the hospital. this included everything including anesthesia.

i really hope you like him and remember what i told you ... :(

Losing, $12,500 is less than two other quotes I've gotten already. Thanks for sharing that info. I'm even more encouraged about him.

and another thing ... im looking at my scar and (other than the rash) it looks GOOD... i'll have DH take some pictures tonight if he's not in one of his moods (like now :rolleyes:)...

I scheduled a second consult in Florida, so we'll see how it goes.

I thought about scheduling a third while I'm there, but that just feels like overkill to me. I feel good about the credentials and references I have gotten from the two Doctors I have chosen to consult with, so we'll start there and see what happens.

I plan to talk to one or two Doctors in Texas, and one or two in Mexico. I also have some good leads in a few other states as well. Obviously I don't want to do too many consults, but I will do as many as I feel I need.

Will update after I have talked to the Doctors in Florida.

Thanks for the feedback and advice ladies :lol:!

misc14.gif

Crazy Ates March Exercise Challenge

20/30 Exercise Sessions

(11 Cardio, 4 Core Strength & flexibility, 5 Weight training)

weight.png

Banded 8/07/07 Dr. Miguel Zapata, Monterrey Mexico

You guys are SO brave! I read LJM's blog and to be honest, it freaked me out a little. It looks SO painful! I give you a lot of credit for going for it.

I guess I'll see how I feel and look when I'm closer to goal. Heck, if I'm in San Diego by then, I'll be nice and close to Mexico.

About going th MX for surgery - how do you look up safety ratings for the docs and clinics there? Are they tracked as well as docs in the US?

You guys are SO brave! I read LJM's blog and to be honest, it freaked me out a little. It looks SO painful! I give you a lot of credit for going for it.

for me, it really wasnt that painful. the first 2-3 days were the worst and the most pain i had was about a 5 on a scale of 10 and the drugs (lorotab?? lortab??) took care of it right away. now its mostly discomfort. the incision pulls and just feels weird.

it's been SO worth the pain/discomfort.

That's good to hear - maybe I'll get brave (and rich!) by the time I'm ready.

Oh, how I long for the day i can have PS and be rid of this flab!

I have no expectations of any of it going away. I had loose, hanging skin which grew and grew after each baby, beginning when I was 18 and only weighed 150 post-partum. (I tho't once it stretched, that was it, but I stretch anew each time from the top and had excess accumilate at the bottom.....it's crazy!)

I've still got a ways to go, but I get SO excited reading about it here. Ya'll really inspire me!

By the way, do any of you subscribe to Obesity Help Magazine? I got the new issue this week and they did a HUGE feature on "recontouring" (aka plastic surgery). There's also a big focus on changes in thinking, and how to change behaviors etc. once you near your goal.

Seems like it might be right up the alley for some of you!!