Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lots of trouble yesterday morning - my first PB's!

Yesterday morning I apparently had a day of very strong restriction. I decided to double-toast a bagel since double-toasting doesn't seem to ever cause me any sticking issues. I put some light cream cheese on it, grabbed my Water and headed to the computer to eat Breakfast and catch up on emails.

I took my first bite, chewed a million times and all was fine. I took my second bite a few minutes later and chewed again a million times. I swallowed and HOLY CRAP I had the worst stick/slime episode thusfar. For the very first time, I actually had to run to the bathroom and PB into the toilet. Ewww.

I had my Water a little bit later and rested for a bit. I was still hungry, so I decided to throw the bagel away (duh) and this time I chose 2 scrambled eggs with onion and a tiny bit of shredded cheese sprinkled on there and melted. I took one bite, it was fine. Waited. Took another bite (of course always chewing super-well), it was fine. About 5 minutes later, after changing my son's diaper and washing my hands, I took another bite. HOLY CRAP it happened again! Ran to the bathroom, slimed and gulped and slimed and gulped and gurgled until finally...into the toilet it went.

The rest of the day was okay. No sticking episodes but today I was petrified to eat Breakfast again. I finally did it because I know breakfast kick-starts that metabolism and I will not skip breakfast ever. I had some orange juice when I first got up and let that settle. I had a Fiber One Yogurt about 15 minutes later with double-toasted (very dark) whole grain toast cuz I couldn't wait anymore and it was fine. Yippee! Breakfast stayed down and did not get stuck.

So I don't know what the whole point of that post was. LOL I guess just to say even though I'm glad I had restriction (rare for me) yesterday, it was a little too much for me. I just don't understand this band stuff quite yet, but I'm learning.

I'm also returning to my old Weight Watcher Core program. I'm not going to join, because I can't afford that on top of my monthly Curves membership payments, but I remember enough to do it again on my own. I even have all my old books. I can't stand not losing weight this far post-op and I think this should do the trick.

PB? no burping here.

Welcome to slime country!

You will find this tool very helpful in your lapband journey. Sliming will prevent something from getting stuck.

Weird, sliming doesn't bother me anymore. That's actually my trigger to let me know to stop eating....just as soon as I feel it.

Thanks for post. I was banded on 01/25 and have not had it happen yet, I swear I keep eating things secretly wanting it to happen and it doesnt. I guess I should be thankful, it does not sound fun!

My doc told me that it was ok to not eat breakfast. if I was not hungry, dont eat. As it stands, eating before 10am is so painful I dont even bother. I have an early lunch between 10-11am and and early dinner. I have not had a pb - it hurts sometimes but I can always feel it go down. Ick, Iam not looking forward to it

Yeah, I know it's okay to skip breakfast cuz it's a free country and stuff (tongue-in-cheek...I'm a kidder), but I just won't do it because I know it's the most important meal of the day. Also, in the past, I've never been successful losing weight unless I ate breakfast...so it's a "knock on wood" sort of thing for me. Even if it gets to the point where I may need to stop eating my regular staples (oatmeal or toast) for breakfast depending on my restriction, I will still have my Vitamins and some fruit or yogurt at least. I just won't ignore breakfast. :smile2:

Yikes! I am not looking forward to my first stuck/pb/slime episode.

For breakfast during the work week I always have a Protein shake (has 38 grams of Protein in it) otherwise I will never get enough protein in

Mamajava,

I had to laugh at your post and am pasting in my post from two days ago on the Nov 2007 page. I swear, if I had not read about getting stuck on LBT, I would have been at the emergency room demanding that they save me. It was scary. I don't want to do it again, but I am not POSITIVE that I can avoid it.

Man, I read Hollyberries post about getting stuck a few days ago and thought, "right-right, chew slowly, of course, yada yada yada." Then, at lunch today, I got a piece of ahi tuna or rice or brocolli (left over from last night) S-T-U-C-K!!!

Oh cripes. It hurt like the dickens!!! I had tears, slime, burps, hiccups, and stabbing pain in my chest. I spit about a gallon of slime into the sink and hung from the bathroom door (to stretch out) while breathing deep and slow. My DH got so upset that he drove to the store and bought me papya enzyme (by the time he got back - it was over- but I love him for it). Even the pets were freaked out.

Nothing but slime would come up and NOTHING would go down. It lasted for about 30 minutes. At one point I was thinking "What if it moves up and gets wedged in my windpipe - I'm gonna die!!!!" In the end, there was a big flash of pain and then it was gone.

Dang!! I don't EVER want to do that again. I can't quite figure out what caused it. I was eating last night's leftovers and I thought I was chewing pretty good. It would be a great motivator if I could figure out what I did wrong.

LOL! Don't worry, I'm not laughing AT you, I'm laughing WITH you. :cursing: It hurts so bad, doesn't it? When it first happened, I was like "oh lordy...this is what their talking about..." as I proceeded to gack and burp and swallow and spit. I was alone and I was a little bit freaked out, but luckily (same as you) I had read about all that stuff on these boards. Otherwise, I wouldn't have known it was gonna be okay in a few minutes. I would have hightailed it to the ER as well.

Now, I chew sooooo slowly (I thought I chewed slow before) and thoroughly and after each swallow, I wait. I know that's the point, so now I know why it's so heavily enforced.

Oh...and stretching as long and tall as I can vertically used to help with minor sticks, but it did not help one bit on the major sticks with the PB's. I guess once it's really in there, it's 100% no-turnin'-back IN there. :angry_smile:

Here is what I don't understand. At all the seminars I attended they talked about a small pouch forming above the band that would fill with food giving the full sensation. Then the food would slowly ease through the opening, past the band and into the stomach. To me every bight I eat goes straight into the band opening. Sometime it goes right past it, and other times the food gets stuck. I never really seem to get a full sensation, I just eat less because I know I should. Is this the way its always going to be, or do I need another fill to get more restriction. The pain of food getting stuck is now becoming an expected part of every meal.