Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

gas above or gas below?

Now that we have altered our digestive system, air inside our body has been altered as well. This is probably the point where most of us would rather have the opposite problem, but here it goes. I have much more gas (pooting) than ever before. I think I would rather burp. The pooting pollutes the air and everyone around us knows when we relieve ourselves. Sometimes I think I could burp easier. I can't believe I actually said what I've been thinking since my surgery Nov. 2007. :eek: Good luck everyone!:grouphug:

:banghead:

Yes, pooting, as you put it, seems to be more common after banding -- guess the air doesn't come up as easily through the band.

I find that a good probiotic like PB8 definitely helps! Gas-X doesn't, at least not anymore.

It's a good thing I can't drink carbonation anymore. Hate to think of root beer burps going the other way. :)

I was banded on Feb 27 2008 and I have gas bad. I poot like every hour and it smells. I was told today to try Gas-X so wish me luck.

Where can one get the PB8? I had my lap band done on March 12 and am regreting every minute of it. Help Please

Hey there. I was wondering after all this time that has passed for you and others. Do you still eat 2 ounces of food at a time or will that fade away?

Where can one get the PB8? I had my lap band done on March 12 and am regreting every minute of it. Help Please

You can get PB8 online if your local health food store or drugstore doesn't carry it. Our grocery store carries it in the section with the vitamins/supplements/health food stuff. Nutrition Now PB8 Acidophilus is the website.

March 12th -- it's only been a couple days and you are still feeling lousy from surgery. Don't worry -- give it a couple weeks and you'll be feeling great. Gas in particular is band those first few days.

I was wondering after all this time that has passed for you and others. Do you still eat 2 ounces of food at a time or will that fade away?

2 oz of food at a time is less than a bandster eats for a meal. When I hear someone say that, I think they must have a doctor or nutritionist who works with Gastric bypass patients and doesn't understand how the band works.

Once you are past the healing stage and eating normal food, you should be eating ~3 oz of Protein and 1/2 C or so of veggies or fruit at a meal. Keep in mind, though, it sometimes takes awhile to get to the right fill level where you'll be able to do that without being hungry between meals. If you have a long stretch, like 6 hrs, between meals, you probably want to plan a small snack to tide you over.

There's the possibility of pouch stretching, for people who are tight and maybe eat just a bit too much as a matter of habit. Over time the pouch might stretch. But the idea of the band is not so much to stop you from eating (i.e. small pouch size) as it is to give you the sensation of satiety. You can get that if the fill level is right and you are eating following the bandster guidelines, regardless if your pouch has stretched a bit. It's about the stoma opening being small enough that food sits in the pouch long enough to stimulate the receptors to signal your body that your stomach is full.

Hang in there -- you will feel better soon! And don't forget, the healing stage is short. Don't get too anxious about immediately losing weight during these few weeks while you are trying to heal up. You probably will anyway, but if you don't, you'll have plenty of opportunity to once you are on solid foods and get some fill in the band.

You're going to do great!:o