Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do you guys eat?

Hello,

I am going in for my first fill on Monday and I'd like to get an idea of what the "real world" of bandsters are eating. My doctor gave me guidelines, of course, but real people are better at this. If you could list what you generally eat for Breakfast, lunch, dinner and Snacks (if you have any). Do veggies count in that half a cup per meal?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Kirsten,

Ahhh, the "half-cup per meal" myth rears its head again. ;) You'll hear lots of people saying they eat way more than that, and lots of others saying that they have no trouble surviving on less than that. My POV is that we should eat as much as it takes to make us feel satisfied, and that amount will vary depending on where you are in your restriction. There's nothing to be gained by agonizing over whether a half-cup is measured by weight or volume, or whether six grapes take up the entire thing, or whatever, if the end result is that you're still hungry. I think the rule should be re-stated as: Eat slowly and carefully until you are not hungry anymore. And pay attention--it will happen a lot sooner than you think!

My typical day starts with a Protein bar or a cheese snack. Something that dissolves pretty readily. If I'm able I sometimes will eat some raisin bran, but it just doesn't stick with me as long as a Protein meal will.

lunch is the insides of a deli sandwich or a chef salad. Eating the protein first means I usually don't eat much else. At most I'll eat a bite or two of the bread or wrap the sandwich came in. When I'm very restricted I only eat half the sandwich's guts.

If I need a snack it's typically a handful of nuts. dinner is usually a piece of whatever meat my husband has made, and a small amount of vegetables.

Dessert is almost always ice cream. (I'm an addict.)

Thanks! Couple of questions.......what about a Protein Shake in the morning- will that fill me up even though it's a liquid? You don't have any problem eating bread? I thought bread was one of those taboo items. How many fills have you had and how many c.c.'s are you?

I'm in NJ, too--Sandy Hook, near the shore. Where are you?

Kirsten I do a Protein drink in the am. I drink 8oz and it stays with me till around lunch time.

Lunch: tuna with spicy mustard instead of mayo and a slice of american cheese

Dinner: Most likely chicken breast no skin either barbequed or baked with broccoli or some other nice green veggie with some steamed carrots.

Snack: Most likely nuts or a fruit

Try to steer clear of any Desserts. I just don't know when to stop. LOL!!

Thanks! Couple of questions.......what about a Protein shake in the morning- will that fill me up even though it's a liquid? You don't have any problem eating bread? I thought bread was one of those taboo items. How many fills have you had and how many c.c.'s are you?

I'm in NJ, too--Sandy Hook, near the shore. Where are you?

I used to do Protein drinks until I realized that the amount it took to fill me up was way more than I needed. 8 ozs just wouldn't have done it for me, so I was drinking 24-32 ozs at a cost of hundreds and hundreds of calories. Protein Bars work way better for me, and the Atkins ones also have 10 grams of Fiber, which is a big plus.

I don't eat bread, no. If I am really hungry I might have a bite or two of the bread or wrap my sandwich came in, but most of the time I just toss it out. It's not that it gets stuck for me, but it fills me up too fast and I can't eat anything else.

At this point I've had four fills and two unfills, putting me at a level of restriction I can live with. The last adjustment was an unfill in response to reflux I was having at night. I don't actually know how much saline I have in my band, just that I like the level of restriction I have right now.

I live in Morris County. Sure wish I was closer to the shore!! ;)