Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sweet Eaters.... Lap Band?

Hello,

I went to my first support group meeting last night (I have not been banded) yet. They were saying that if you tend to be a sweet eater you should consider gastric bypass over the band - they claim it's more effective... Have any of you found it to be a problem?:huh2:

Thanks,

Shannon

I would say that the problem is that you CAN eat sweets with the Band--and therein lies the problem! Yes to be totally honest, there are ways around the Band, and that is why anyone considering getting banded should be totally committed to a new life change.

And it's why I get on my soapbox with "last supper syndrome" persons--you really have to want to be a new you, because the Band is just a Tool to assist us.

Unlike that, bypass gives you no alternative but to lose weight. And I think I remember reading about a "dumping syndrome" with bypass--but someone else will have to address that--because I'm not knowledgeable in that area.

Best wishes to you in whichever you choose...:huh2:

I thought I might chime in with a personal experience about the sweet tooth band candidate. I was told the same thing about sweets (and people who consume high caloric liquids).

Sweets do go down fairly easily (ice cream, shakes, cakes, Cookies etc) so if you are weak when it comes to these types of foods you will have to use your own willpower to get past them, the band might prevent you from eating the entire cake but it won;t prevent you from putting down a 1200 calorie piece of Italian Creme Cake.

I have never been a big sweet person, however a few days ago I had a run in with some chocolate chip cookies........I put down about 5 of them in a matter of minutes. I was DEVASTATED.....I could not believe they went down so easily! Nothing I can do about it now, it is done. But I did learn from the experience that I would have to implement some willpower against the baked goods. Granted I have not had my first fill yet so this happened with an empty band, but upon talking to other bandsters I learned that couple of little debbie snack cakes will usually go right through. I know better now.

Hope my screw up will help you in your band journey.

Good Luck!

It's accurate that GBP patients have dumping syndrome if they eat sweets. I'm not an expert on GBP but I have a friend that had one and she can still eat sweets, although perhaps smaller amounts than previously. The problem is addictions ( like sugar) can be transferred to something else. So even GBP (just like banders) will substitue other foods to get what they crave. Can't eat cake? Just eat chips!

There is nothing that will completely make us stop eating other than wiring our jaw shut ( and even then, we could get milkshakes through the wires). The band and GBP can only "aid" us. We must help the band work. Many GBP patients can and have put weight back on. Look at Carnie Wilson!

food is our addiction and our bodies will look for a way to get our addiction in, if we are not careful.

I've found alternatives to sweets like my slimfast-a-chinos (see recipe in my blog) and sugarfree hot cocoa. Plus, freezing sugarfree yogurt and eating it like icecream. it's worked just fine for me!

Okay, Rascal, I researched gastric bypass dumping syndrome on the Internet and here's what it had to say:

Weight loss surgery patients who have gastric bypass can suffer from what is called dumping syndrome. Dumping syndrome is described as a shock-like state when small, easily absorbed food particles rapidly dump into the digestive system.

This results in a very unpleasant feeling with symptoms such as a cold clammy sweat, pallor, butterflies in the stomach and a pounding pulse. These symptoms may be followed by cramps and diarrhea. This state can last for 30-60 minutes and is quite uncomfortable.

A small percentage of long-term post-operative patients build a tolerance and do not dump on foods that would normally cause dumping syndrome with the malabsorptive gastrointestinal system. However, most patients learn to avoid the foods that cause dumping because it is so unpleasant.

Foods that typically cause dumping are sweets, fats and processed carbohydrates. If a person is dehydrated the symptoms of dumping will be exaggerated.

Hope this helps you understand what they were talking about...:huh2:

Thanks to everyone who wrote to me! I went to my first meeting and to my surprise she didn't try to get me to switch my mind! I am so excited... I made all of my appointments (nutritionist, shrink, surgeon, lab work, etc.) Hooray! I'm hoping to get a surgery date in early May! Keep your fingers crossed!:huh2: