Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why am I so hungry!

I'm 2 weeks banded and the last few days I have been so hungry! My portion size has been really small and up until here recently, I was getting full on just a little. Now, it ain't happening. I am HUNGRY! I'm embarrassed to say that I had a few of my daughters french fries (chewed them really good - but still!) before eating my baked potato. Figured half would be enough, nope, ate the whole thing (it wasn't a huge baking potato though, it was one from Wendy's). 30 minutes later, I had pudding. What is wrong with me! The only thing I can think of is the exercise...maybe I'm burning more calories so I'm hungry.

My doctor moved me straight from Clear liquids to mushies and softs last week. I go back tomorrow and I am really hoping he okays me for regular foods. I know it is a shot in the dark, but a girl can dream! I feel absolutely fine, and the fullness in the throat/chest I was feeling last week after every meal is totally gone.

I am in the same boat. I was fine up until yesterday. I was on Clear Liquids until the 29th, then full liquids, and as of yesterday, pureeds until Monday, then I can start soft foods. I'm hungry and I want to chew. I almost can't take it anymore. I've been sooo good! Hmmmmmm, guess, I'll just make some soupy oatmeal!

I've been feeling the same way the last couple of days. Maybe our stomachs shrink as we lose the initial weight so the band is not as restrictive?

I had my first fill last Wednesday and am hungry. I feel like I am able to eat more but it isn't staying with me long enough. I hear you all say you are just starting to eat mushies. After surgery, how long were you on clear, then full liquids, then soft foods and finally regular food? Also, when you have a fill, does your Dr put you back on liquids for a couple of days or do you continue to eat regularly?

The plan from my surgeon was 1 week of clear liquids, 2 weeks of full liquids, 3 weeks of mushies, then on to regular food. Mine is a little extreme compared to most I've read about here. I started on full liquids 2 days early and started on mushies 3 days early. Still on mushies and won't have a fill until April 16th. My surgeon's rule for fills is 2/2/2. 2 days of clear, 2 days of full, 2 days of mushies after every fill.

Wow. I was nowhere near that restrictive. The plan was a little wishy washy. 1-3 or 5 days clear; 4-9 days full; week 2 soft foods; weeks 3-6 regular foods. I've read a lot of posts that are much more restricted and am concerned that having been so liberal, I could have screwed up the band. I did lose weight but am not sure if it is due to the band or just my fear of eating too much. I had first fill last week and have actually been eating more-I wasn't given any restrictions after fills. I haven't weighed since the fill and am a little afraid to now.

Wow. I was nowhere near that restrictive. The plan was a little wishy washy. 1-3 or 5 days clear; 4-9 days full; week 2 soft foods; weeks 3-6 regular foods. I've read a lot of posts that are much more restricted and am concerned that having been so liberal, I could have screwed up the band. I did lose weight but am not sure if it is due to the band or just my fear of eating too much. I had first fill last week and have actually been eating more-I wasn't given any restrictions after fills. I haven't weighed since the fill and am a little afraid to now.

Are you tracking your food intake? Try FitDay - Free Weight Loss and Diet Journal That will at least give you an idea of how much you are really consuming. I know that some days I feel like I've eaten so much and I've only consumed 800 calories! Other days, I hardly consume anything at all and am about that. It's all about food choices! Go to fit day and start logging your food. It will really help you feel better about what you're eating or let you know that you need to cut back. Hunger or the lack thereof is not a good indicator.

P.S. What kind of bike do you ride?

I found that when I am hungry about an hour or two after eating, if I drink 4-6oz of Water the feeling goes away.

Plus as your stomach heals the swelling goes down and your not as restricted as your were when you first had your surgery. That is what I read in the book my surgeon gave me. So congrats on the healing! :huh2:

I just came back from a 2 week post op check and all is well. My doctor's normal eating plan is:

week 1 - clear liquids

week 2 - full liquids

week 3 - mushies - purree

week 4 - softs

week 5 - begin regular foods

I am different because about halfway through my first week, all my numbers really bottomed out and started making me a little wonky. He thought it was messing with my hormones (seriously, I was sobbing nearly everyday and couldn't figure out what was wrong!), so he moved me straight to mushies and softs. I've been eating that for the last week.

I asked today if I could start regular foods and he said since I was having no trouble, that would be fine as long as I chewed and chewed and took small bites. My portion size is definitely smaller than what it was preband...I cannot eat a lot at one time, but I am able to eat more now than I did this time last week. He said that was all fine.

He did say he'd prefer his patients stay on softs as long as possible, but he knows most cheat on the preop diet. I think I'll try to stay as close as I can to soft foods for one more week. I am going out of town this weekend, so eating on the run may be more difficult with a soft diet, but I'll just make the best choices I can. I am self pay and I want to do whatever I need to to do to take care of my investment!

Yeah, I'm with you in "Bandster Hell". I'm trying to make smart choices but it's not easy when you aren't physically restricted. I can't believe I have to wait TWO MONTHS for a fill. _)&)*^#&%^#%(^(*!^#%(!#%

bandster hell is no fun ... sorry you gals are having a tough time...

just stick with what your surgeon gave you ... up your Protein (shakes if on liquids)

this will pass. let those stitches seal your band into place. anchor that band!!

you can do it!