Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, I came here to ask a few questions...

My sister is about to go into her 'liquid diet' phase for a couple of weeks (correct me if I am wrong, she just told me tonight that she is doing this). I want to know if this is safe, are there any serious affects from getting banded? She has told me that there is a very, very, very low rate of injury. I know it is her decision, but I want to know for myself that she will be safe. How was your experience with Lap Band surgery? Thanks.

Brad, I don't think you have anything to worry about. THough my doctor only kept me on 1 week of liquids and 1 week of mushies, all doctors are different. The first week she won't be hungry at all most likely, as I wasn't and had to force myself to really drink all my liquids. I have a really low immune system and I've done wonderfully on it. My scars are healing up great, I felt awesome by day 6 and I'm loving my band. I have another friend who was just banded last week and she was in really bad shape before her surgery... we are talking heart attack, 380 pounds, barely could walk type thing and even she is doing awesome now... THe risk of something bad happening is so very low that if me and my friend could do it, I bet your sis will be just fine.

Your sister told you correctly, the rate of complications is VERY low. Most of that is dependent upon who she has chosen for a surgeon---that is very important.

As for the lap band itself, I truly believe it to be much safer for us than the obesity. When I was banded almost 2 years ago, I was a size 22/24. I had high blood pressure, high blood sugar, high cholesterol, joint pain....all kinds of issues. On medications for most. I now take zero prescription medications, my blood work makes my Dr. VERY happy, and I am wearing a size 14. I am able to exercise, and have grown to enjoy it even!

The improvement to my life are way to numerous to list....but the point is, I feel like I have my life back. I have and will continue to reccommend it to anyone who asks me how I lost the weight! I would take my own Mother, or Daughter-----or Sister, if they needed it, I believe in it that much!

Refer your sister over to our site, for some serious Lap Band Support!!!

Kat

While you are here looking around the site, be sure to check out the Before and After Pics--under the general lap band surgery discussion heading. True inspiration if there ever was any!!!!

Kat

It's as safe as it can be. There are always risks with any type of procedure.

Hear the one about a child getting his tonsils out in NC died...the gas ignited.

Or the one about a tooth pulling that resulted in death.

Things happen, that's for sure. But obesity kills. Any patient has to look at the risks w/ a surgery and risks w/o it.

That's what I did and a year later...well, I'm a size 6/8 and feel as good as I ever have. No more blood pressure pills, no more anxiety over my looks, no more snoring, no more winded going up a flight of stairs, etc.

Support your sister, as this isn't easy.

Brad-

I think it's wonderful that you are checking this out. I'm very glad my fears never kept me from getting my band. I have lost 120 pounds in less than a year, and now I can play with my 2 year old. I can enjoy being outside with friends, and get some exercise too. I hope she has chosen a doc wisely, follows direction and gets lots of nutrition information and support. -Not just more diet advice-lol. Good luck to you, and her.