Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2nd fill, am I okay or just freaking out????

Okay, I had my second fill today. I am at 2.6cc in my 4cc band. I waited 2 months in between fills just to make sure that I needed one. I have gained about 4 lbs back and I know I am eating waaaaay too much at mealtime. Long story short, I got my fill done in TJ with Dr. Romero, fabulous fill, went smoothly. Since I was driving he asked me to try and eat something before I leave to make sure that the fill is okay. I told him I had a can of Soup that I can sip while I am waiting to cross the border. So I am 30 minutes into my wait and I decide to take a few sips of soup. Immediately I got the stuck feeling and it hurt. There is no way I am trying to turn around now and go back to the clinic. I couldn't believe it, Dr. Romero told me to eat something solid, not soup. If I would have eaten something more solid I think I would have pb'd for sure. I know I am probably freaking myself out. Is this normal? Should I just take it easy and try liquids for a few days???? I am a little better now, I had about 1/4 cup of chicken soup and chewed the pieces really well. I can still feel the chicken sitting in pouch, more of what feels like my throat. I am belching a lot too, it is like air just needs to get out after I swallow the food. Once I belch the food seems to move past the band. Really weird feeling to me. Just need some support I guess, I really don't want to get unfilled and I haven't felt "restriction" like this at all since being banded, not even post op! Thanks everyone for you shoulder and ears.

If you are getting the Soup down, I would relax right now. Stress is not going to help the situation! I would go onto Clear Liquids for the next few hours, not keep trying to put heavy liquid or solids onto the stoma, it might be irritated, and will cause swelling, which will increase restriction!

Then tomorrow morning, I would continue with Clear Liquids, because I am so much tighter in the morning. Then come noon or so, then I would go back to something like the soup you are eating now....and stick with that for the remainder of tomorrow, or things of about that thickness---Protein shakes.....etc. Then slowly progress to a day of mushies....you get the idea, take it super slow since you are feeling obvious restriction, and some discomfort, or as though it is in the esophagus rather than the pouch.

If you get to a point liquids are not going through, or you cannot swallow your own saliva----you need immediate attention, here or in MX either one.

My second fill was a tiny one.....50cc. and it was HUGE in how it reacted for me!!! I had little restriction with my first of 1.25....so thought that little half a cc would do nothing--I was wrong!!! Be very cautious, and take your time easing back. With my 2nd fill, sometimes 3 bites was all I could manage!!! Within a couple of weeks it eased up--and I am still working off of that 2nd fill!!! Just don't push yourself too fast, or push eating too much. To PB on it this early will only make the swelling that much more likely!!!

Hang in there!

Kat

Thanks for the advice. I just tried a few more bites of the chicken Soup before I read your reply. I am not trying to push it, i am just hungry, I have only had a few bites of soup and a few bottles of Water all day! I will lay off the solid food for tonight and start fresh tomorrow with liquids and maybe mushies. I am really tight in the AM until about 12;30-1:00 so, i figure I will be tight until about dinner time now! I am able to drink water and swallow my saliva so I am sure I am okay, I just need to baby my belly for a while. Thanks for the support.

Kat187,

I just want to let you know how much I enjoy reading your replies. You have so much info and encouragement for everyone. You are great, keep it up!!!

AudricIan,

I had the same thing happen last week. I have 2.3 in a 4cc band. Everything except Water got stuck for a couple of days. I also had all that burping. It drove me crazy and made my throat sore. That finally went away, but I still have to be careful not to over eat and chew, chew, chew. I have no idea why your Dr. would have told you to eat solids. Mine told me full liquids for 48 hours. Good luck, you are probably swollen. Call your Dr. if it does not go away.

JP

Thanks so much azchick---that is so sweet of you!!!!

Audrican---------how you doing today????? Check in!!

Kat

I am doing a little better today. I can't grab a bottle of Water in the morning like I usually do, it just causes me pain to drink it. I have been drinking warm green tea with a touch of honey around 10 am, that helps loosen up my stoma a little bit and then I have been having a Protein Shake for lunch. As far as eating, I can't eat anything that is even mushy until about 4 in the afternoon and it still gets stuck. It took me 45 minutes to eat one serving of very soggy Special K Cereal tonight, that was my dinner, LOL. The constant air bubbles are driving me crazy! From what I am reading this is all normal and I shouldn't worry myself. I think I PB'd a tiny bit today for the first time. I had an airbubble so I pushed it out and a little bit of food came up my throat. I can see why that would be really embarrasing in public! I think a few more days and I will be getting used to this. This is the first "real" restriction I have felt so I have to change my eating habits and eating schedule around to suit my band. I am going to hang in there, at this point I definately understand why people who reach their sweet spot can only eat 1/2 cup of food!! I think it would take me 2 hours to eat 1/2 cup of chicken or beef right now. A few months ago I never thought I would be at this point in my journey. Thanks for the support everyone. BTW, I have lost 3 of the 5 lbs I re-gained!!!!

AudricIan, it's not normal not to be able to eat dinner. Usually, if you are tight in the morning, it's loose by that time. If you don't loosen up in a few days, you should think about having a tiny bit taken out.

I was too tight for awhile, and it was miserable. I was afraid to have

any taken out, but I am sure glad I did. The tiniest unfill can make all the difference in the world.

I copied and pasted this from another post. I can tell you it was not worth it to be too tight. With the tiniest unfill, I can now eat anything I want, in tiny portions, just the way the band is supposed to work.

Stay on liquids for a little while, but if things don't improve, consider going in and asking for a tiny unfill . You will be still be able to lose weight, but won't be having these problems

Denise,

Feeling the same so far this morning. I am going to try the same "meal plan" as yesterday. A bunch of liquids and something mushy for dinner. I am dealing with it okay. I just feel hungry but I can't eat anything filling. I had some hot chocolate this morning and that was yummy! If this goes on for a month l will defintely get an unfill. For now I can handle it.