Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stuck help please

Hey the other day I eat some chicken all cut up with other stuff like mash potatoes. I felt fine eating it took a long time and chew well. Well the night that this all happend it felt like there is something in my throat. I think I have food stuck there how do I get rid of it? Why does it feel like that? Has anyone else felt this way? I am in 2 weeks post op I wasn't thinking when I ate the food. I sure do regret it. Do you think I damage something. This is the second day and it still feels like I have something in my throat. some one help please.:thumbup:

Things must have changed since I had my band installed back in 04. So, if Im telling you something different than what your doc has said, maybe you should make a call. So, your 2 weeks post-op. Now like I said, i've not been on a forum for about 3 years, but just wanted to see if the banded life for people with my time had any issues, but it appears that the same questions and issues are still out there....

Back in 04, you were on a clear liq diet for 10 days after surgery, no exceptions, then after ten days, you were on mush foods like yogart, mash potatoes, etc for another 2-3 weeks. You were not allowed to eat anything i.e. meat or vergtables that were hard until after you had 8-10 weeks. Like I said that was back then. So getting to your issue, yes I'm sure your feeling the pressure in your throat, and as the chicken sits there digesting very slowly, your likely to feel it hanging around for a while, it takes time sometimes days if you ate a large amount and the sizes although newly banded feel they chewed it up, it's suprisiing how big those chunks are when you get yourself to a point where your stuck and once all of the salivia backs up, you hit those magic PB sensors in the top of your stomach and out it comes....

Again, unless things have changed, stop with the chicken until you've had a few more weeks of recovery, drink warm fluids before you eat, and wait a few hours after before you drink anything again once you'd eaten. In the 4 years of being banded, you'll learn the feelings, and when your stuck. If I were you, I'd go back to drinking warm broths, soft mash for a few weeks to let the band site recover and maybe allow the swelling to subside. Then start off again, eat 5-6 times a day small little mini-meals vs sticking to the traditional 3 meals. Your banded, and your band is telling you that your not eating what it intends to allow you to have at the moment, so dont fight it, work with it. Hope this helps - Take Care

I was on regular food by weeks end.

When learning what foods you will be able to eat, and not eat, you must eat something...a tiny bite, chew well. Then walk away. After a few minutes, have another bite but walk away.

Soon you will have a comprehensive list of things you can eat and things you can't.

But don't try to eat something new w/o testing it first. Big trouble can happen.

If something gets stuck, just let the esophogas and stomach do their jobs. It's not like you are going to die or anything. But if it gets really uncomfortable, just drink something...fast gulps. The Fluid will mix with the stuck object and either push it thru or give it something to carry it back up. No vomiting...just lean over the sink and let gravity take it from there.

Good luck.

Some say the there are enzymes in pineapple juice that help dissolve stuck food. Others say to buy papaya enzyme tablets. I do think you should call your doctor about what you should be eating at this point. Your esophagus is going to be irritated and swollen after this and you need to let things heal up. It wouldn't surprise me if they tell you to stick to liquids for awhile.

I was just banded on 3/30/08 and i am suppose to be on clears and soft foods for 4 weeks. Not sure about the meat and potoatos....If it feels stuck, they told us in the class, especially since you are only 2 weeks post op, you should call your md. It is however, a good sign you are not vomiting, right? Nausea? If you experience those things you should call ASAP! Good Luck...these are the things that scare me!! I dont look forward to the day I experince this....

I hope you feel better...

Thanks to everyone I do feel better I am not suppose to be eating found that out. It has slowly went down and now I am sticking to liquids for a while. Does anyone think that would damage the band or should it be okay? I guess I would know huh.. Thank you agina great tips. appreciate it. I feel alot better was scared for a couple of days there.

I had surgery in 9-07. yes you will fill very unconfortable when food gets stuck, it can be very pain full chew chew chew, it helps also I've found that if you chew some papaya enzyme tablets it helps a lot. you can buy them almost at any store.trust me they are a life saver. as you will find out. good luckand take care.