Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should I go through with it???

Angelface - Like other's have said, only you can make the decision to have this surgery. In the past, when considering WLS, I was like "no way". That was because I wasn't ready to let go of some of those things. I started seriously researching and thinking about this a year ago. I read books, I talked to people who've had it done, I went to a seminar, and I've read post after post here. I've tried to make myself aware of the complications as well. I've tried to look at it from every angle so that later, down the road I can't tell myself I didn't realize certain things could happen. Because at the end of the day, I made the decision. My husband asked me a few weeks ago "you know you might not ever be able to drink a coke again or a beer?". And you know what? I'm okay with that. I've finally decided that those are very small prices to pay to be healthy again. I'm so miserable right now. Yes, I can drink all the sodas and beer I want, but I'm not happy. I'm ready to let go and stop the hold food has on me. The idea seems so freeing. I know it will be hard and there will be days when I'm cussing myself because I'm dying for a Dr. Pepper (or a beer depending on how bad the day was :huh2:), but I'm going to do my best. I've tried all the diets before, but the difference this time is that I'm ready to let go. I feel really good about my choice now. I get to set my surgery date on Friday, but I've already started a modified version of the diet my surgeon requires pre-op so it's not so "cold turkey".

I'm excited, scared, nervous, but ready. So, the moral to this long-winded story is that you get to decide for yourself. Do your research, talk to others, but make sure it's right for you. Don't rush into it if you're not sure. Good luck to you. I wish you all the best!

Gonna b Free

Thanks for telling me about your experience. I'm now starting to learn that the lap band is only a tool but we have to have some self control. Tell me, when you went to Disney on vacation before your fill, were you able to eat like before your surgery-like bread and bigger helpings?

yes, as long as I ate slow and chewed i had little problem.

the first few bites of a meal will make it or break it. you have to take it slow from bite #1 and chew. i'm learning more now in the last week than I have in the last year. but my eyes are wide open for this and i can't fool myself. it's totally a tool, just like your food scale.

but i don't regret the sidetrack, it taught me.

want to know something gross: (I'm still trying to break some old habits, but I'll tell you anyway) Last night, i was cutting a hot dog into bit size pieces for my son's lunch. well while doing that, I decided I would eat one as well. I did it while standing at the counter, did not take my time (for fear of getting caught of course) and felt it would never go down. I went to bed, but sat up a while to be sure I wasn't going to choke on something sliming up. I ended up PB'ing the hot dog pieces. this morning in my shower, I still PB'd a hot dog piece. I grossed myself out, but I'm honest with you. I'm learning this now, because I've never had this much restriction. but I'm done eating before I go to bed, that's for sure. the bad part, drinking something if you feel like this doesn't help. It just adds to what's coming back up.

PBing some will say they've never done it, but I think it's a natural part of this all. it's not daily, nor with every meal but it's a learning tool. it's really weird how much it NOT like throwing up. it's a softer gentler action that's coated with slime and you wonder where that all came from...(again, sorry for the gross honesty).

i was breaking the band rule saturday and ate a piece of gum. after a while, i thought the extra saliva created from the chewing was going to come back up. i had to spit out the gum. i'm probably too tight, but i'm living with it until i see if things loosen up like they have in the past.

you know I have been doing the same thing for the past few years saying uhh yes i'm going to do it then i chicken out, then someone that works with me will get it or something loose weight get healither and look good then there i go again.. I think if you have gotten this far why not. You have to give some to get some...