Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Goodbye Bandster Hell - HELLO FIRST FILL

Marci, Like you and Lynne I'm not able to have a fill for 3 months (still 4 weeks away for 1st fill. I was banded 1/14/08). I too am having a hard time understanding how It's physically possible for me to not be melting away considering how I eat now compared with what I was eating before. Add to that I now exercise 1 hour 4 times a week...Still the weight loss is very slow...I lost 12 pounds on liquids pre-op and have lost another 18 lbs in the past 8 weeks since being banded. I am happy with my weight loss...But still it seems slow considering th complete effort I've been giving. And for 3 weeks now my weight has fluctuated up and down 3 pounds. No real loss in 3 weeks. And I feel very little restriction...Very Frustrating...and I can't wait for my 1st fill.

I had my second fill last week and boy can I feel it. It took about 4 days for the fill to really hit me. Now I can only eat maybe 10 bites at most. Sometimes only 5 or 6 bites depending on how heavy the food is. I have learned that when I feel the slightest twing in my belly, the slightest little pressure, I STOP EATING. I have actually discreetly spit out the bite I was chewing into my napkin to avoid swallowing anything else. When you have a good fill, your belly means business. If you challenge your belly, you will hurt BAD. But luckily papaya enzymes really do help.

I've noticed that those of you who had early fills are very very successful with your weight loss. This is what is baffling me. How did you get these fills so quickly??? If the band is a "tool" and we know that it is, to effectively use that tool we need to feel restriction and the insurance companies are not letting us use it correctly. ::grouphug:: Just trying to make sense out of this whole issue...

...My theory is why eat the food that made me fat to begin with? I am following the rules and not eating too much fat or sugar, and so far have lost 50lbs.

Good for you mindylouhoo! I agree - just because we can eat the old comfort foods (for me anything with sugar/chocolate), should we? It is what got us here in the first place. It is my goal to remain as sugar free as long as possible. I had an addiction to chocolate so I can't so much as taste it before I'm off the wagon. Years ago (in a land far, far away) I lost 50 pounds by doing Weight Watchers in about 6 months and I didn't even touch chocolate. As soon as I did (which I suppose was inevitable) I just gave up. There are others who don't have that same problem and I am very envious.

:grouphug:

I have not been banded yet, but I'm on my way and at the class I went to last night they said you can get your first fill at 6 weeks... 90 days seems really long! I don't know why the times vary so much...