Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Goodbye Bandster Hell - HELLO FIRST FILL

So today I went for my first fill (2.6 cc's) The doc asked if I could eat mostly anything and I said OH YEAH - (how I've managed to lose 13 lbs since surgery is beyond me) He reassured me that it was completely normal but that NOW I have to be careful and REALLY listen to my body - he also said to stay COMPLETELY away from pork, steak and bread - those seem to be the worst culprits. For now, (2 days) I'm on liquids - "anything that can get thru a straw).... he said that it is VERY important to STOP eating after you feel full - he said that it might take only 3 bites - WHOO HOO - bring it on - I say....

FOr those of you not having a fill yet - DON'T SWEAT IT - it was the most uneventful procedure I've ever had - I didn't even feel the stick. I was amazed (and this after not sleeping last night worrying about it). -- I even had to sit there for a minute with this needle hanging out of my body while they did the "water" test... so really, don't worry about it - no big deal......

How has your appetite been since your fill? I am in bandster hell right now. March 28th (the day of my first fill) can't come soon enough. I hear some people get good restriction right away, others, it takes 2 or 3 fills before they can " feel their fill".

How has your appetite been since your fill? I am in bandster hell right now. March 28th (the day of my first fill) can't come soon enough. I hear some people get good restriction right away, others, it takes 2 or 3 fills before they can " feel their fill".

I only had my fill this morning and so far I've only had a yogurt - but that did me for lunch - we'll see what the next few days bring - but any restriction is mor than I had yesterday!

Jennifer, You are just a few weeks behind me in the lapband journey. I was banded on Jan.21st. First fill was Feb.20th in which I was given 5cc. in my 9cc Realize band. The first 2-3 days after the first fill I had some restriction and it was great--ate small portions and was very satisfied/no hunger. But then... restriction abruptly disappeared and I was ravenous with hunger and wasn't due for a second fill until 4 weeks later. I emailed my doctor and told him of the situation. He said I could come in earlier for the 2nd fill as long as it was at least 14 days after the first fill. Needless to say, I was in his office on day 14. At that time he gave me an additional 1cc bringing the total to 6cc in a 9cc band. And guess what, restriction appeared and is still with me 2-1/2 weeks later. I'm so excited because the band is working perfectly--I eat small but reasonable meals and 3 small Snacks and I am completely satisfied (totals 1000-1200calories/day). I'm scheduled for a 3rd fill in 1-1/2 weeks but I think I will cancel it because I'm at perfect restriction right now (meaning I can eat any type of food without problems and become satisfied on a smallish amount of food). I've had no sliming or PB's but interestingly, this evening I ate chicken without chewing it as well as I should have and got a big case of noisy hiccups, felt like food was stuck, and had a bit of mild pain. Actually, it was kind of a nice experience (my first) because it not only gave me a warning but also let me know that the band is working great. Right now, I love my band!!!!!!!!!!!! Your band journey might be similar to mine or it might be quite different. Time will tell. Good luck with your band.

Hi All,

I have been in bandster hell for 2 months - my dr. won't do first fill until after 90 days post-op. Two more weeks to go. I have a 14cc band and am hoping for good restriction - right now I have none at all and can (and do) eat ANYTHING!!!! Haven't lost anything in 2 months - very discouraging.

im really surprised your doctor said to stay away from certain foods. that's why i got the band ... (just about) anything ... in moderation.

:thumbup:Hi i was banded feb 5th. no restriction what so ever. I cant wait. I feel encouraged about your news... just really excited to start this process. i', off today i thought about calling to see if they would give me a fill 5 days early but i doubt he would. lol

your news is motivating for me as i ate some ice cream today.. i have only gained 4 ounces since all the initial loss, so i guess i'm doing ok with intake.

only 2 BP. one mild one and one with juice.

YEAH... YEAH... :huh2:

:thumbup:Hi i was banded feb 5th. no restriction what so ever. I cant wait. I feel encouraged about your news... just really excited to start this process. i', off today i thought about calling to see if they would give me a fill 5 days early but i doubt he would. lol

your news is motivating for me as i ate some ice cream today.. i have only gained 4 ounces since all the initial loss, so i guess i'm doing ok with intake.

only 2 BP. one mild one and one with juice.

YEAH... YEAH... :huh2:

Just for the record - I had some ice cream the night before my first fill....

everything in moderation (that won't get stuck of course)

im really surprised your doctor said to stay away from certain foods. that's why i got the band ... (just about) anything ... in moderation.

I think his philosophy is that these foods (steak, pork chops and bread) are the things that he has has to REMOVE from bands because they get stuck easily --- they say that toasted bread (well toasted) is okay tho - and ground beef is okay - and chicken is okay - so my thought is - alot of pork (lean cuts) are the same consistency as chicken - right?

I am terrified of something getting stuck to the point of having to have it removed --- it freaks me out

we shall see what happens...

"having it removed" (food like steak etc)

What does that mean? I have never heard of that before and it concerns me.

I have had fits and starts of feeling full and having a good fill but for now I am eating too much. Going to Maui on Friday and having a fill the day that I come home, so I am hoping to get back to that sweet spot.

I had my first fill one week ago and at first I had good restriction. I don't feel restricted so much now, but I am still eating so much less than before I was banded. My theory is why eat the food that made me fat to begin with? I am following the rules and not eating too much fat or sugar, and so far have lost 50lbs.

I have had fits and starts of feeling full and having a good fill but for now I am eating too much. Going to Maui on Friday and having a fill the day that I come home, so I am hoping to get back to that sweet spot.

My doc explained that he has, on ocassion, had to go in (I believe the procedure is much like endoscopy and physically remove food from the "hole" or the pouch because it wouldn't pass thru --- there was a lady at my last support group mtg that had eaten a biscuit - and it got stuck and wouldn't move for two days and had to have it removed.... yeah - freaks me out too - I won't even chew gum any longer for fear of acidentally swallowing a piece...

I think his philosophy is that these foods (steak, pork chops and bread) are the things that he has has to REMOVE from bands because they get stuck easily --- they say that toasted bread (well toasted) is okay tho - and ground beef is okay - and chicken is okay - so my thought is - alot of pork (lean cuts) are the same consistency as chicken - right?

I am terrified of something getting stuck to the point of having to have it removed --- it freaks me out

we shall see what happens...

well, i've been banded for 17 months or so and i regularly eat steak, chicken, pork and sometimes i have a bite of my DD's bread. if you take a small bite and CHEW your food, there should not be an issue... but, you should really do as your doctor advises.

My doc explained that he has, on ocassion, had to go in (I believe the procedure is much like endoscopy and physically remove food from the "hole" or the pouch because it wouldn't pass thru --- there was a lady at my last support group mtg that had eaten a biscuit - and it got stuck and wouldn't move for two days and had to have it removed.... yeah - freaks me out too - I won't even chew gum any longer for fear of acidentally swallowing a piece...

once again, chew your food properly and this kind of situation is very very very VERY rare... when i say chew i mean til it's pretty much mush/liquid

well, i've been banded for 17 months or so and i regularly eat steak, chicken, pork and sometimes i have a bite of my DD's bread. if you take a small bite and CHEW your food, there should not be an issue... but, you should really do as your doctor advises.

once again, chew your food properly and this kind of situation is very very very VERY rare... when i say chew i mean til it's pretty much mush/liquid

OH I'm with ya - I think maybe he was just saying to avoid this stuff right after the fill - because my "life long diet plan" that they gave me said we could have steak after 2 months - which would be about two weeks after the first fill --- I think it is all a personal trial and error...

Lynne, I'm with you on this. I saw we have the same doctor! I was banded 2/4/08 and found out Monday that I cannot have a fill until after my 90th day post op. I am sooooo disappointed. I've been on regular food now for 2 weeks and am not having much restriction at all. I'm willing myself to stop eating and following the strict guidelines, but the scale will not budge. To me it makes no sense...if you are eating these tiny portions, mostly Protein, almost no carbs, drinking the Water and getting in the Protein Shake in some way, shape of form, how could it be that I don't lose???? Especially compared to what I used to eat?! I can't wait for my 6 week post-op appointment to discuss this with the doctor further...