Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone had a cold or flu?

I really thought i was going to do danger to my band! I threw-up like a dog for two days.I really thought I was going to have to go to the hospital,but all i could remember to do is drink alot of Water and fluids. I haven't got on the scale yet and not really in any rush. I realized then, that I don't need to lose weight like that. I ate icecream once, just to have some kind of calories in my body, since i could' hold much down. But I' m feeling a little guilty about it ,but you had to be there to know how I felt. So, does anyone out there can relate?? :confused2:

I've actually not had so much as a cold since before banding, but I've been concerned about it. You might want to ask your surgeon for an antiemetic prescription to have on hand, just in case. Kind of like motion sickness remedies... it won't actually fix the problem, but it can help keep the gorge down.

Eat what you can. When you're sick, staying hydrated is number one. It won't hurt you to go a day or two without food (or longer, but let's say a day or two) as long as you can keep fluids down. If you can't, you should probably seek IV fluids.

Oh yeah, and pneumonia, too.

When I got sick, it was my band that first alerted me. I would slime w/ everything including Mt. Dew. Then the next day the aches and pains would hit me.

So, when I get really restricted out of the blue, I know it's because I'm getting sick.

I sip on soda for a few days for the calories and carbs (your brain can only burn carbs for energy..not protein) and when it passes I'm 5 pounds lighter.

I just got over the flu. And this was the real, honest to God flu (not just a cold). It was hell -- that's the best way to describe it. By sheer force of will, I didn't throw up, but I had the rest of the whole nine yards. It's just something to survive and being well hydrated is the key. I drank gatorade, even though I know it has simple sugars and way too many carbs. But it has electrolytes and it was easy going down. When you're really sick, you shouldn't worry about your diet and you should just eat/drink whatever you can keep down.

By the way, Nyquil was my best friend during this time.

I've had a couple of colds, such a joy having young kids yourself and teaching young children, both in a classroom or a pool. I'm constantly snotty!

A bad headcold or even a flu type virus generally makes me feel unwell and unhungry and I lose weight, but it doesnt really affect my band at all. I just dont eat becuase I dont feel like it. I've had a real flu (gosh, I really HATE it when people who have a bad cold claim they have the flu) easily the sickest I've been in my life. But again, not a gastric illness, so no vomiting. I dont vomit from just having a fever or feeling unwell like my middle son does, I have to have actually contracted a stomach bug for that to happen.

I have been lucky enough not to catch any gastro type bug involving vomiting or diarrhoea, I seem to be very resistant to those. When everyone else in the house is lying around groaning and heaving, I'm there to do the washing, lol.

I got double pneumonia and could not eat . I lost 16 pounds in one weeek while hospitalized. I tried those nutritional supplements like ensure for diabetics and they helped. It was right after my surgery so I was still very sore.I lost weight so fast my heart began giving out, and if not for the ensure I would now have a pacemaker. The lack of eating also cause extreme anemia and I had to have blood transfusions. All in all I was very ill but I do NOT regret getting my band.

I am feeling much better now and even exercise about four times per week. It passed but it took a lot out of me.