Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

psych questionaire

Hi Everyone! I am going for my psych eval this month and I was given paperwork in advance to fill out. Some of the questions make me nervous--I am afraid if I ansewer them a certain way I will be denied. I am going to post some here in the hopes someone can point me in the right direction--

1. What are your preferred Snacks? (My fave Snacks are sweets--but I am afraid if I put that they might say I am not an ideal candidate for lapband??)

2. Circle items that you eat at least 2-3 times per week on most weeks (I put **next to the ones that apply to me--choices are--ice cream, **cookies/crackers, fruits/veggies, bread, **chocolate, **cake/muffins, soda, milkshakes, chips/pretzels, leftovers

3. Are you an emotional eater? (yes!)

4. Are you a binge eater? (not sure)

5. How often do you binge eat?

6. Do you beleive emotions have played a significant role in the development of your obesity? --Yes

7. What do you beleive are the primary causes of your obesity?

8. Have you ever participate in therapy with a psychologist? (yes--I am currently)

9. Have you been prescribed a psychiatric medication? Yes--currently on wellbutrin for depression

Do you think any of these answers will cause him to think I am not a good candidate? :blushing:

Thanks everyone!

Answer honestly, it is better to get yourself in good shape so you can be complient with the program then to lie and have a hard time.

Wow, were you the kid who wanted others to give you all the test answers? :blushing:

The purpose of the psych eval is not to deny you, it's to ensure you have the right support mechanisms going forward.

Being honest is one of the best things you can do for yourself, perhaps even better than banding itself. The banding helps us, but it's the changed behaviors that make or break our successes, and the best way to change behaviors is to have someone on your side helping you (e.g. psychologist).

Just answer honestly. They are not looking for reasons to deny you, it sounds like they are asking good questions for you to think about. Your eating habits are going to have to change dramatically after surgery, so it's a good idea to have your patterns identified beforehand, so a plan can be in place BEFORE the day of surgery.

Hi all--thanks for the advice---I will answer honestly. I guess I assumed that the purpose of the pshych eval was to deny or weed certain people out!! I feel like if it was a support system--it would be more than just an evaluation. Luckily, I am seeing a therapist for my issues with eating because I know what a dramatic change it will be with the lapband.

And no I was not the kid who wanted all the test answers! I was the opposite --hahaha. I am just a worry wart--and I am desperate to get the lapband and I know how devestated I will be if I am denied. So, I am researching and learning all the info I can. I have heard on these boards of several people who were denied due to t he psych eval. I don't want to be one of these!!

Thanks everyone!!!! The support of this forum is very important to me during this learning experience! :biggrin2: