Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do protein drinks make you...

Every time I've EVER had Protein shakes, they've given me the trots, no matter what brand I've tried. I think it's either the sweetener, or the type of Protein, or who knows.

Jenlev67, I haven't laughed that hard in weeks. Thanks for that! LOL!

Here is a recipe for Protein shakes that I think actually TASTE GOOD, and no runs.

The majority of people in the world are actually lactose intolerant (it's been said the the lactose tolerant people are the odd balls not the other way around). Once you go on liquids or reduce your solid food intake and ramp up the Protein Shakes (most of which have high concentrations of lactose), you can easily end up with the runs and gas you can't put in your tank. The artificial sweeteners in many of the PS can also wreak havoc with your inerds.

I use American whey Protein powder from American Sports Nutrition, because:

1. It is lactose free
  2. It has less than 1 gr of sugar
  3. It has no artificial sweeteners
  4. It has 20 gr Protein per scoop (I use two scoops per shake)
  5. It actually TASTES GOOD!

I used to buy it from my Dr. but I found it cheaper on-line at Bodybuilding, weight loss supplements, Protein Shakes, fitness supplements, muscle building supplements (tell them Laura Mitchell sent you).

Here's how I make them so they taste like a Friendly's milkshake.

In a personal blender (I use the Hamilton Beach w/travel lid), combine:

• 2 scoops of vanilla (or 1 vanilla and 1 chocolate) protein powder
  • 3 healthy teaspoons of Hershey's baking cocoa (has only 50 calories, no fat or sugar)
  • 4 ice cubes
  • 1/2 - 1 banana (broken into small pieces)
  • Water to fill (or milk if you prefer or need the calcium)

Blend until very smooth. Enjoy!

The banana and cocoa combine with the Protein Powder to thicken the shake and the ice makes it like a milkshake. The Water makes it thin enough for me to drink, but if you add milk or if you have trouble with the thickness, use less ice.

I am telling you, I hated these things at first and practically refused to drink them. Now, I have one for Breakfast and one as my "treat" for my last meal of the day (usually around 10pm to ramp up my metabolism before bed at 11/12). I look forward to shake time and will forgo most any food to have room for my shake.

I have max restriction now so I eat very small amounts of food (2-3 oz per meal), yet my blood work is "perfect" according to my doctor! As for the calories, because I eat such small amounts it is not a problem for me but you should talk to your nutritionist. I am 15 months post-op and I have done this for most of that time, with a weight loss of 108 pounds. So it is working for me.

As for the runs, I have never had them from this protein powder, but when you are on liquids only, it can contribute to the problem. Oh, my husband, who was not banded, does the same thing and he has lost 45 pounds too with no side effects.:lol:

That's my story. I hope it can help someone.

Best of luck,

Laura