Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

scared, worried and wondering...

So, I went to the appt to see about doing this, actually talked to my surgon. I have to go to the phsy testing. Acutally waiting to get that doc to call with an appotiment time.

So, the surgon says that since my bmi is so high 64, I may get approved without the 6 months of some sort joining something like WW for 6 months. I am worry that me going to the doc getting weighted and such wont be enough and I will have to wait for this. I am wondering if anyone heard about getting approve quicker with such a high bmi?

Second thing that has me worried is that I have been reading Carnie Wilsons book, and she said she knew when to stop cause she felt full and this was the tool. Right now eat so much to feel full, what if I need to eat more than I should I dont want to do this and not be able to stop or feel like I can like I do at times now.

The last thing, is I am scared the dietation told me that I probley only lose a 120 - 150 lbs and that my body will stop me losing anymore, no matter what I do I wont be able to lose any more. So that means at my current weight I will only get down to a max of 250. Sure its alot better than I am right now but I want to get down under 200 and they are saying I cant with the lap band at all.

Any feedback will be welcoming, Thank you all :)

How much you lose - is completely up to you and your dedication!

Diet and Exercise - is still a must. The surgery is a tool. Here is a post that was written by someone else that I thought was really good:

JUST A TOOL – MUST STILL DIET – REALISTIC EXPECTATIONS

“WEST COAST FAT GUY” WROTE:

Congratulations on your decision to go forward with the lapband.

With that said, I want to be very honest with you. I'm doing so, not to discourage you, but to give you a realistic view of what is in store for you the first few weeks... and I'm sure others will then be able to offer their experiences of life beyond that.

The lapband is an incredibly wonderful tool. You'll read that over and over and over again in these forums. Just like any tool... unless you use it properly, it won't work. An important note with the lapband is that it may well be many weeks (or even months) from the time you have your surgery until the lapband becomes a fully-functioning tool. Again, those with lots of band experience say that finding their "sweet spot" of good restriction without negative effects can take many fills and/or adjustments (unfills). In fact, depending on your surgeon, your band may not have any fill whatsoever until several weeks after your surgery (allowing time for everything to heal).

After the initial 2 or 3 weeks with the band, you may find that you have little or even no restriction. This can be very frustrating and many many people gain back weight that they lost during the pre-surgery diets. Some people who go into the surgery with unrealistic expectations even fall completely off the wagon and never recover. Others go on binges, but eventually get 'hold of themselves' again and go on to get fills and, ultimately, become successful.

Those who go into the surgery with realistic expectations know that during the time of little or no fills that they may experience what has come to be known as "bandster hell". That is, they don't have a fully-functioning tool and are, essentially, doing nothing more than dieting... as they have dozens of times before in their lives. They may hit plateaus and the scale may not move at all. They may be hungry much or all of the day, even right after eating a meal. The difference for these people, however, is that they know and believe in their hearts and minds that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. If they can only get past the tough times... that they will be rewarded with much better times ahead. They look at the success stories of those who have come before them and rely on their support and comfort to get them through the rough times. They know and realize that the band will not keep them from gaining weight or stop them from eating too much. The band cannot stop them from yo-yo'ing. The band cannot make them eat the right things. The band can and will, however, eventually (sooner for some.. later for others)... help provide restriction so that they feel full faster.. and stay full longer. It won't stop the 'head hunger' and cravings. It won't heal their inner child or help them get revenge on a cruel world that hates the obese.

Thousands and thousands of people have been successful with the lapband. You'll find dozens and dozens who regularly post here on these boards. The things that you'll find in common with all of them here is that they 'used and continue to use their tool', but don't rely on it to do the hard work. They all worked through the difficult times when it felt like their bands weren't even there at all. They know that their fight with obesity may never truly be over. They know that maintaining weight loss is often as hard or harder than it was to lose the weight in the first place. And finally, they don't sugarcoat their experiences with the band. They are honest and upfront about the hard work that it took to be successful.

Again, I wish you the best of luck on your surgery and look forward to meeting you on the 'other side' of band land!"

Best Wishes -- and many HUGS!