Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Long?

Guest BiCoastal

Guest BiCoastal

Hello All! I am new to this and hope I am allowed to post here. I've been considering lapband for over 3 years now and finally have decided to do it. Can anyone recall how long it took from the time you met with the psychologist until surgery date? Although it took me forever to make a decision, now that I have, I am thrilled at the prospect of starting my life. :smile2:

Hi. It took me three months from first meeting and getting banded. While having tests run, I found out I had gallstones so that was two months out and then I had to recover from that surgery. If you work consistently at it you can probably have it done within two months. Good luck!

BiCoastal... I haven't been researching as long as you have but I've found a surgeon and I'm going for all my testing on March 19th. Since I live 4 hours away from the facility I get to do ALL my testing in one day. I don't know how long it will take after that to schedule my surgery. Hopefully not too long!

Hello All! I am new to this and hope I am allowed to post here. I've been considering lapband for over 3 years now and finally have decided to do it. Can anyone recall how long it took from the time you met with the psychologist until surgery date? Although it took me forever to make a decision, now that I have, I am thrilled at the prospect of starting my life. :)

I went to seminar on Oct 20, 07 and had surgery on Dec 28, 07..

Good luck to you!

First I just wanted to say a lot depends on your insurance or self-pay. I have really good insurance so my timeline was pretty quick after psych appointment.

Went to free seminar on 1/19/08

Psych Eval and nutrionist appointment on 2/8/08

Approved for surgery on 2/18/08

Pre-op appointment on 2/21/08

Surgery was 3/3/08.

I could have saved about 1-2 weeks if I didn't wait so long after seminar to see the Psych but my work schedule was hectic.

initial seminar 11/27/2007

last hoop - psychologist 1/8/2008

request for surgery approval sent 1/25/2008

approval 1/31/2008

surgery 3/5/2008

I feel great and on my way. If someone wants to look back that is their dealio!! best wishes g2s

Guest BiCoastal

Just a note to say thank you to everyone who replied to my question - and because you are all so nice and supportive I'm going to venture to ask another question.... how much does it cost? :smile: I'd be self pay as my insurance wont cover it unless I have co-morbidities - which fortunately I do not have, but do not want to wait until I do have to have this done.

PS: I have my psych appt finally scheduled in 2 weeks. After I meet with him he send a report either approving or denying me as a candidate. (Never in my life have I been so excited to see a doctor!) They won't let me schedule my nutritionist appt until after the psych appt. After the nutritionist then I can schedule the surgical consult. here's to waiting....:wink:

I was also self-pay. Because I stayed in Memphis, TN, and therefore chose someone locally (who had a good reputation) I paid $18,000 (which we had to borrow). It makes me shiver to even think about it. I think I will feel better after I have my first fill. Hope this is helpful. If you don't mind me asking, what are some of the prices you have come up with?

Once I decided I wanted the surgery, here is how my timeline went:

Consultation 7/11/07

Psych Eval was 7/25/07

Stress Test 7/31/07

Surgery 9/10/07

The gap in time between the Stress Test and the Surgery was when the insurance was reviewing everything for approval. The cost was around $18k which insurance paid for 100%.

I am so glad insurance paid for you. You would think every insurance company would be pushing us down to the o.r. for surgery.:drool: It must save them money in the long run. I am just blessed with a sweet husband who didn't really want to do it but agreed when he saw how much I wanted to. Good luck with everything.