Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Insulin Resistance

Hello everyone!

I have Insulin Resistance. Not PCOS. I know they often go hand-in-hand, but not for me. I have steadily gained weight over the last four years (was 150 lbs). I have tried diet after diet and have had little success. I was finally tested for IR by my GYN and low and behold, that is why I was gaining so much weight so quickly. My understanding of IR is that only through low carbs and exercise can it be reversed. Dieting will help, but it is the exercise that makes all the difference. But as we all know, that is difficult with the excess weight that we carry around. Exercise is like a 'key' that unlocks the cells that allow the glucose in (to get it out of the bloodstream). If it can't get into a cell, it stays in the bloodstream stimulating more insulin to be released. Eventually, this cycle will lead to diabetes. (More people have this than are tested and don't even know it!)

So, I wanted to share this because although I am armed with information and know how, I still struggle. I am hungry. I never seem to be full enough. I love carbs. I can't seem to get motivated to exercise because I have all kinds of excuses. I have been fortunate enough to get approved for the Lap Band and am very excited about having a little help! I too am a little concerned that I won't be as successful as some, but I sure am grateful that something is going to tell me when to stop eating! I am hopeful and yet still nervous. Are there any others out there that have IR? How successful have you been with your band? Do you find that exercise is the "key" for you? I'd love some feedback!

I will be banded on April 10, 2008!

Carol

Thank you Jack! I am looking forward to Post Band Life...hopefully it will help! How long did it take for you to feel better or notice a difference?

I am "diabetic" but have been told that I am very resistant to insulin. Everything you said here sounds like me. Before the band the only way to lose weight was to exercise strenuously for like 2 hours a day for at least 5 days a week. I tried it again and again but had lots of setbacks because I was always getting hurt-especially my feet. Now after the band I barely eat but unless I exercise I will not lose weight. The good thing is that I can exercise at a reasonable pace so I don't hurt myself. I still have to exercise about 5 days a week and the weight comes off soooooo slowly but at least it is coming off. Without the band I don't think I could have ever lost weight because I couldn't maintain that level of exercise for a very long period of time.

I wonder if I am IR and if I need a different treatment than a diabetic. I am so sick of taking Metformin because it slows down my weightloss.

Are many IR's misdiagnosed as diabetic?

I have been diagnosed with insulin resistance, I had done a lot of reading on it before and was pretty sure that was my problem. My sugar is at 97 right now, but had been higher. I have a family history on both sides for diabetes and don't want it!! My lipid doctor has since said he would really like me to have the surgery. He knows I have tried many times to lose weight, but can't lose much or keep it off for long. I have been over 200 lbs since I was 19, over 140 since 26 and gained another 47 in six months after hysterectomy age 36. I was wondering if anyone gets shakes and cold sweats when their sugar plummets because they haven't had anything or enough to eat, and if it goes away after the surgery?? I try really hard to make sure I have enough Protein all the time to avoid these incidences because each one brings me closer to being diabetic, but some times it just happens.

As I have posted before I would have to run a marathon everyday of the week to make a difference, I don't have the time, physical tolerance or the energy to devote to that. One of the nurses at my docs office said I needed to deal with it, among some other unnecessary comments. I also am still recovering from a spiral fracture of the tib/fib, the rod is causing pain, but the docs won't remove it because of my weight. I would have to be about 160 for a year before they would consider it.. I'm 286,, at this rate I will have to deal with this pain for the rest of my life,, that just isn't an option for me. I had high hopes after my hyst to be more energetic and healthy without the pms and pain,, I don't regret it because I don't have those issues anymore, but the HRT made me even heavier! Will this surgery really make it possible for me to lose the weight??