Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My wife and I are considering having lab band surgery. Both of us have always been bigger people but we are heading in the wrong direction with our health. We are both close to the 400 lb mark and no end in sight.

Her weight gain really happened when she had to go on certain meds. She gained 180 lbs. I gained a good 100 lbs from my desk job. Diet and excersize just doesn't seem to be working for us.

We are wondering about the lab band and how it will affect us. What is the down time after the surgery? What can we expect? How much weight can be lost, and is it possible to still gain weight or stay at your current weight if you have this?

the lap band is truly a great tool for weight loss. but it has to be used as that - a tool. it will help your hunger once you have reached proper restriction (may take a couple - or more - adjustments / fills).

i was out a week from my desk job. could have returned in 4 days, but decided to just stay out and rest as much as possible.

my suggestion, read the posts here. you will get a TON of information. they say people generally lose 50-60% of their weight they should lose, i disagree with that. there are MANY MANY on here who have shattered that. i say 100% of excess weight lost is not impossible at all. but, like i said, use the band as a tool, not a cure all. eating right and exercising must become habit.

good luck on your journey and welcome to LBT.

Hi and welcome to both of you! You have come to a great place for advice, information and support. I think it is wonderful that the two of you are considering having this done together.

As far as down time after the surgery, while you are still a little tender around the port area, I think most people are able to return to work a week after surgery. Some go back sooner.

The lapband is a great weightloss tool, but it is just that, a tool. If you don't do your part then yes, it is possible to not lose or even gain weight with the band. You will need to make healthy food choices, and exercise is an important part of any weightloss program. It is important to keep up with your fills as well. But, if you are willing to commit to the band and the bandster rules, then the lapband is definitely the road to follow to better health.

Welcome, it's good you are trying to improve your health. I agree one week is probably the average time for recovery. some need a little less, some need a little more time.

I like to think that the band sort of evens out the playing field for overweight people. Meaning, our thin friends, could overeat also, but they seem to be able to resist doing that most of the time and know when they are full. Overweight people ( me) seem to have a broken thermostat that doesn't tell me I've had enough food.

the band can help boost our willpower. But yes, it is possible to eat around the band. there are foods that will go through the band easier than others and the foods that go through easily are generally high calorie foods. But if you follow the food plan of eating Protein first, that helps fill up your pouch and you are able to push away from the table.

The band helps you change your habits, but it is not a cure, it is more like a crutch we can lean on to help us. We must do much of the work ourselves, forever.

Since getting my band,this is the most weight I have lost in 3.5 months. I'm not a fast loser, but I am losing weight at a steady pace. I do not feel deprived.

Hello everyone, I too am thinking about it. But first have to talk to my other Doctor. As some one else here said, it seems like something is broken within too and I don't know when I've had enough. I only weight 235?. 239?, but it gets in the way of my exersize and daily living. I walk everywhere and according to my diabetic team they see my blood work (a1c from 1 yr ago - 9.6 to now 7.4) and wonder why I can't lose with such good numbers, I blame it on mind hunger. That is something I'm working on. Simply said I'm tired of feeling tired and ill from both the wrong foods and the medications. Actually I feel great if I haven't eaten for a few hours, but as soon as i do, I feel ill even when it's the proper food,,, crazy:sad:. I'll be comming here alot and reading more. in the meantime does anyone come from alberta?, do you know where / who seems to be the best Doctor out here? or should I consider outside the province?

Thanks Thea

Hi Thea, Check out the forum sections for canadians (under the support group section) or check out the "Doctors and Hospital" section.

go to the main page and just scroll down looking for the right group.

you'll probably get the info there or find other canadian banders that you can ask about doctors or clinic in your area.

Lot's of diabetics have gotten great results for weight loss after banding.

good Luck and welcome.