Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did your doctors feel about you getting a Gastric Band?

My PCP is super supportive, said she would do whatever she needed to to get me through the process. Her brother had gastric bypass and she believes that part of obesity is related to genes and not just lifestyle.

My FORMER doctor, when I asked her about the surgery, said that she didn't believe in obesity, didn't believe in weight loss meds, and said that gastric bypass was a cop out.

I hope your doctor is receptive to you getting WLS

The appointment went as I thought it would. She said she did not know a great deal about the procedure and she recommend that I NOT get banded due to the fact that I'm young (32) and should exhaust all my options prior to doing this surgery. She told me to really really think about it and would refer me to a weight management clinic if I liked. She told me that if I DO decide to go through with getting banded she would support me 100% and would look after me the best she could and to never fear coming to her just because she didn't think I should do it. She is a wonderful doctor, I've been with her for 20 years. So that is how it went incase anyone was wondering....thanks for all the replys.

Sounds like a good doc! She gave you her best advice based on what she knows, and supports your decision whatever it is. :tea:

She's right about exhausting all your options. There have been more than a few people who decided to give "diet and exercise" one more try before WLS and were able to succeed. But most of us, by the time we get to this point, have truly exhausted all our options, and then some. I was 33 when I was banded, that's not too young at all. And you are not rearranging your guts like with RNY.

At least you have the green light from your PCP to make the best decision for you. Good luck!

My doctor was against it. He wanted me to have GBS. He made the most ignorant remark to me the other day, he said, "Lap-band is the most dangerous surgery you can have."

Dohhhh, what a moron.

My doctor was all for it. He has been great. Neve once said a bad think about it. I have had a number of neck and disk problems and he said he thought getting it would help them 1000% and he was right. I have a long way to go but already my neck and back don't give me 10% of the pain they did. Every step of the way he has been there and was great about it.

Aren't we glad our doctors aren't our family? If we don't think they are the best for us, we can just look for another.

I'm going to have to find a new PCP soon. The one I have is okay, I don't think he's the greatest, but certainly not the worst. I don't have many medical issues, the occasional bout with arthritis or bronchitis. And he has given me weight loss medications over the years. But I selected him because I work out of town it was convenient to not have to come all the way back to where I live for an office visit. But now I'm realizing that convenience has a price. If I have a medical emergency, I will most likely be at home and if it required an admission, I'd have to travel to where he is or have doctors I'm not familiar with treating me. He wasn't overly supportive of my surgery, but provided the medical clearance to have it.

Now my GYN, I wouldn't trade her for the world. If she moves I'll have to move with her! LOL She is awesome. She didn't know I was having it done until after the fact. She thinks it's great and while she didn't know much about it, she asked a ton of questions.

My PCP doesn't know. My insurance didn't require a referral, so I simply chose my lap band doc and went from there.

If your doc is giving you problems, get another doc. Always keep in mind that they work for you.

My Dr wasn't very enthusiastic about WLS, even though some of his best friends are WLS surgeons! He thinks I can do it on my own, but hey I'm 43 and done it on my own, and it has gotten me over 300 lbs.

He did do the letter for me though, and I really don't think he'll give me any hassle. He can be very reasonable. He reminds me you don't have to be a supermodel to be healthy, and he's right about that. Don't think many supermodels are healthy anyway!

Haven't told my PCP. I was self-pay and my surgeon did all the pre op testing at the office. I didn't really give much thought to asking my primary for her opinion.

My doctor was not happy when I told her I wanted WLS. She had had only 2 patients who had WLS and neither of them did very well. But when I told her I wanted lapband and not RNY, she was MUCH happier. She now asks questions and is making sure I get any appointments set up that might cause obstacles with the approval process. I love my doctor.

At this point you've talked to you PCP and I hope it all went well. I don't think I had finished asking the question to mine when he offered to write the referral. I was finally banded last Tuesday and so far, so good.

good luck

I have the best Dr!! That being said, I just saw her this week and asked if our conversation could not be charted. I explained to her I was having WLS, which she was VERY supportive of, since she has been my Dr for 15+ years and knows my struggles. Then I told her the rest, that it was going to be in TJ, prepared for a lecture. When we discussed the research I've done, the surgeon I chose (she has had several go to him) she was supportive, but cautious. She was concerned that no one would do my fills, so I explained Fill Center USA, which she said she would refer the rest of her patients to.

So in the end, I got her blessings

My PCP told me, without me even mentioning that I was thinking of surgery, "I don't believe in weight loss surgery." So I never discussed it with her. Luckily, my insurance did not require a letter from my PCP, so it didn't matter in that respect. It was kind of a bummer, though.

My PCP was against it. and "doesn't believe in weight-loss surgery" but now she is completely thrilled with my results:biggrin:

this is what I'm hoping for...I do think it will be the case.

My PCP was against it. and "doesn't believe in weight-loss surgery" but now she is completely thrilled with my results:biggrin:

Manda T,

Where are Fill Center USA located? Are they all over or just certain locations? What do they charge?

DH would like to find someplace else to have his fills done; closer to home than my surgeon.

Manda T,

Where are Fill Center USA located? Are they all over or just certain locations? What do they charge?

DH would like to find someplace else to have his fills done; closer to home than my surgeon.

They are starting to pop up all over the US. Their web page is FillCentersUSA.com . I believe the first visit is $365.00, $165.00 after that. You can do a search to see if there is one near you. The nearest one to me is a hour away, but it is better than going back to Mexico:teeth_smile: