Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Everyone Please Help Me

I think that if an opportunity like that had arose right before my surgery I would of jumped at the chance, the band is still hard work (well for me it is). You can always have the band after the show if it doesn't work out. Mind you I live in England and have no idea what it must be like waiting for insurance approval I had to pay to have my band put in, I imagine its probably like waiting on the NHS waiting list, aww honey only you can decide whats right for you but good luck with whatever you choose.

Helenxx.

Christian! Wow! What very interesting place to be! I would be sorely tested to figure out which one I would go with.

Instead of focusing on the negative, ther is a lot of positive to the show. If you are chosen to be on the show, you will have the oportunity to work with personal chefs and trainers, and you will be able to take this knowlege with you FOREVER.

The band will always be there, but will this oportunity to be on the show always be there? The pictures of you are so beautiful, it is plain that the camera loves you.

But never forget, no matter what you decide, WE WILL BE HERE FOR YOU. We will exult in your choice.

Why don't you postpone the surgery until you know about the TV show? What's another month or two?

I am a TV producer and reading your email, this friend who has a friend who says you can audition, sounds a little vague. Get more details before you throw in all the mental prepartion you've done for the band.

I don't know the show but I would imagine there will be 100's a people they are looking at. They'll be trying to get a mix of people - age, sex, location, background - to make the show interesting. But if schedules are the way they are here, they'll be making a quick decision.

On the negative side - being on TV isn't what it's cracked up to be. It's hard work, emotionally draining, and never forget - you are a commodity. Any 'relationships' you have with the production team are purely transactional. Reality TV is the ultimate in manipulation. And as you yourself seem to realise, the unreality of reality TV means that at some point you will be thrown back into the real real world with no support.

Sorry to end this on a negative, but I'd hate to see you get your hopes up only for it all to be dashed by some mercenary TV producer. I'm one of them.

Hi Christina,

I agree with Scotty. (The producer). Find out more about the time line and what stage of the interviewing process they are in to find candidates for the show. Even with an audition, there is still a big chance that you wont be picked, thus postponing your efforts to have lapband surgery. Do they pay you for your time on the show? Isnt there a big prize at the end for the winner and nothing for the rest? I have never watched the show, so I really dont know.

My thinking is that in a controlled environment with personal trainers, chefs etc, all of us here would be able to lose weight, but where will you be when they no longer need you?

I personally would not want to expose my formerly big butt on television, but to each his own! My sisters keep telling me I should apply for Extreme Makeover because of all the weight I have lost and my need for some PS. THe only show I would have the desire to be on now if the "Amazing Race". (Presently going through my second childhood! LOL)

Find out more and then make your decision.

Babs in TX

334/180

Christina,

If the choice were mine, I would do the following. I would wait and see if the insurance approves the band. If not then during the appeals process I would take a chance and go for the show. But this is something that you need to know--IF after the show(assuming you got on), you loose alot of weight- you WILL NO LONGER QUALIFY FOR THE BAND. Thats right, you will weigh to low and insurance will definately disqualify you. Your only choices would be to pay for the band yourself and try to justify it (complications of surgery & risk) making it even harder to do so, since you do weigh less, or be forced to slowly gain the weight back till it was a necessity again. Of course the last option would be that you can change your eating habits and remain in a losing position. But that would be a one in a thousand shot due to having your support system of chefs, exercise equipment and trainers stripped of you at shows end.

After this thought process, I would decide to have the band, get to know the producers some and find out how well he knows the producers of a show like amazing race or survivor or some other personal favorite. Because after you loose the weight with the band, you will look great, have more energy and that is when you will want to show off in front of the whole world!!!

Remember this is just my thought process and yours may differ.

T

My thought is , if this TV show has made you question whether or not you could do it without the band or question your decision on the band..are you sure you are ready for the band? Nothing or noone was going to sway me once I had made up mind . I get the impression you are confused. Or am I totally off base here?

I'm with Kathy and her quote about "the bad side". If you noticed, those people were terribly stressed. And I would say none of them will keep the weight off. If you do it (go on the show) you will more than likely wish you had gotten the band. When it comes to the show, all that glitters ain't gold. However, you KNOW what the band will do as you have living proof from the people on this board. You've read many posts, seen before and after pictures and seen people keeping the weight off and being very happy about their decision to get the band. If just making the decision is causing you this much stress and indecisiveness, that too can be seen as a sign.

I have to say I would wait and see....I've had people suggest to me that I should try and be on that show....but I could never do it. I'm way too concerned that I would never live the same way again.

The band will allow you your life, only better. That would be my choice.

Good luck!

Sharon

Christina,

(((hugs))) youre gonna make the right decision, what ever it is!!!

(Kathy... of I ever run for President, I want YOU to handle all my debates)

I have to say that I agree with those who said go wth the band. THe band is not a diet it is a change in your life style and an intimalty private and personal life choice. The show is just that a show. It is a diet for you for the fleeting time it is on the air, after that you are on your own again to deal with all the isues that got you to where you are today.

I would do the biggest loser, learn new habits and better techniques and excercise habits. It won't be too late to do the band later but it would be too late to do the show. I LOVED that show and think it would be a good experience. I would have loved to have gotten my mom or brother on that show. Anyway good luck, Teresa

Part of the show was how they did off the ranch and they all did very well. They realize that people can go back to their old tricks at home so they incorporated 7 or 8 weeks of their home life into part of the reward. As mentioned the band will be around later. Also if the insurance does approve you can't you just delay them for 6 months if needed? Teresa

In my opinion reality TV shows of whatever persuasion only serve to strip whatever dignity the participants ever had in the service of the almighty advertising dollar. I woudn't go near one for all the money in the world, literally. :(

Sorry, but you asked.

EVERYONE---- thank you all so much for your thoughts.

Kathy- i read your post to my sister & she said it was dead on! Thank You

BigT- you said it ..... I have been thinking about the possible of loosing weight & NOT being able to qualify for WLS all nite long.

Everyone said such excellent things & believe it or not I have been racing all of them through my head all nite & this morning. MY background is acting- so this is also about the possibilty of a career break.( hope that clarifies it a little more as to my ambivalence La Madam) Something not to be taken lightly in this industry & at my age & weight.

But I think underlining most of the posts is the fact that I need more info on the show part. I know that if given the opportunity to shake the producers hand & intro myself, I will. Like a few of you said it could open other doors. As for being on the show- well your right I may not get picked-could be thrown off in a week & so forth...But also may gain great experiences(trainers & chefs). I think for now I will call my friend & see about an appt. After hearing more I may totally decide-its not for me. In the mean time hopefully the insurance will go through & I can still set a date for the band. I don't think of the band as a sure thing, I think of it as safety net- but still just as much work.

Penni- God Bless you! She was with me for 1 1/2 hrs last nite - just talking me through:0) Thank you!

I will let you all know more when I find out stuff. Its just so strange, I was so set & ready & than I was broadsided & thought well- wow! what an opportunity. I mean I didn't call them, but then again like Scotty said this could end up being a BIG LOSER & in MORE WAY THAN ONE. LOLLOL

I hope to be more concrete in my decision soon. Maybe I think of a clever way to do both..Maybe I'll start a new show called The Biggest BAND LOSER & we can all be on TV. Patent Pending;0)

Warmly, Christina

I'm there for ya Christina. And just as a side note, I walk in my neighborhood park every morning and the winner from the first Loser show, RYAN, happens to run there as well. I stopped him one morning and congratulated him on his loss and his win. LOL!! He laughed. He still looks like he did when he won the money. Others on the show have stated they hired a personal trainer to maintain that level of exercise and push they got from the ranch.

I told Christina last night on the phone that I would not maintain the rigor and structure that you are exposed to while at the ranch of losers. I know me too well. While in that type of structured environment and have access to personal trainers and various other things anyone could lose weight. But the key is and the one thing I found lacking in this show is a counselor of sorts to get to the core of why we are obese. That show dealt with the physicality of weight loss and not the mental aspect of it.

CHristina I'll support whatever decision you make. Just remember us lowly people when you win the loser money. WINK WINK!! I accept bills in $20 increments.