Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is .5 CC to little of a fill for a 10 cc band?

I had a fill yesterday. It's my second one and I have a 10 CC band.

The doc filled my band and emptied it in surgery to check for leaks. He left 1 cc in there. My first fill he put 3 CCs. I didn't really feel much restriction. I went 71/2 weeks to my second fill because I was losing sucessfully. I hit a plateau and went in for the second. He only put .5 CC in? That seems like an awfully small amount for a 10 CC band. Especially when a fill is $175!!!! Is that normal? My first fill was 3 CC. what's up with that?

Once your past the initial fill amount (~1 for a 4, ~3 for a 10) it isn't unheard of for surgeons to want to progress slowly, in .5 or 1 increments. You really don't want to be too tight, and a tiny, tiny amount of fill can turn "ok" into "too tight." If you truly want to be more aggressive with your fills, then tell your surgeon that.

Wheetsin, I always respect your opinions. thanks for the reply. I'm still on liquids (for 24 hours) and am having no trouble with cream Soup so i guess I'm not to tight. I just thought with such a big band I would get bigger fills. The last week I was able to pack it away like a truck driver, so I thought I would be pretty loose. I was eating a small steak, half a baked potato AND veggies. I didn't gain, but I didn't lose either. Guess my doctor is more conservative....

Every person is different. How the band fits your stomach is different than how it fits mine. so generally, the Dr's will start off slow and build up. A fill can cause swelling, which can happen after you leave the Dr's office, so even if you can drink at the office and Water goes down, the band could tighten after you get home.

I've had seven fills and have a 10 cc band. First fill 2 cc's, next five 1 cc and this last fill .25 cc's becasue I felt I am close to good restriction.

I don;t pay per fill. I was self pay. $17800 and fills for first year are included.

It is impossible for a doctor to know how much is 'just enough' and how much is 'too much' for each patient because it varies so much. It is ALWAYS better to be safe than sorry and small fills allow you to avoid being too tight so I always lean toward smaller fills more often. That is why I chose a doctor who gave me free fills for a year and why I tell anyone considering surgery to count that cost! I really don't think your doctor is trying to make more money off of you, I think he is trying to be careful. And especially since you were at good restriction once already the fills are going to be smaller now. You just need a slight tweak because you were losing weight and your stomach size changed. I didn't have any Fluid in my band at all for the first month, had fills of 1.5ccs, 1.5ccs, 1.5ccs, 2ccs and 1 cc so it took me two months to get to where you were post surgery. I think he is doing a good job, I'm just sorry you have to pay each time, that would drive me nuts!

It sounds a little slow to me. My first 90 days of fills were free so I have had 4 and I'm going to get one more next week probably. I will be filled to 6 then. I know everyone is different...but if you don't feel much then you should ask your doctor for more aggressive fills.