Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for a Doctor in Ga.

Guest twocan

I have been looking at Doctors in Ga and I have been feeling really overwhelmed. How do you find the good ones and more important how do you weed out the bad ones. Has anyone heard of the Golden Isles Center for Obesity surgery in Brunswick, Ga. I think the doctors names are Peter Henderson and Harold Kent. They have a educational meeting next week that I am going to go check out. Any ideas on what to look for, questions to make sure to ask or things that I should really watch out for.

I haven't noticed these docs on the board here...but their patients may pop up. Definately find out how many bands he/they have placed. I have heard it recommended no less than 50 bands, otherwise, he's a rookie!

Listen to how they talk about the band...some would really rather do one of the gastric bypass procedures. They have been doing them for years and the weight loss is faster, usually, than with the band. (This has it's good and bad points) I have heard of some doctors passing out gastric bypass menus and recovery meal plans to band patients...not really understanding the difference. Be very careful, research thoroughly, and ask lots of questions. This board has SO much information, you can find just about anything. It would be in your best interest to invest some time at your computer reading everything you can.

In Georgia, I have heard of Hamilton Weight Management, Dr. Ponce, in Dalton Ga. Google their web site, too. I was looking in to going there for my aftercare (getting surgery in MX) but found a fill Dr. much closer who takes Mx banded patients.

Also, post something in the Georgia forum...click on Lap Band Talk Forum and scroll all the way down to Ga. You will find good reading.

Good luck! Keep us posted on your research!

I am having Dr. Ponce do my lapband on March 23rd. Remind me, and I'll let you know how it goes. So far his staff has been awesome and I feel very comfortable with them. I am in Summerville, SC. roughly 7 hours away...so most of what I have done is over the phone and Internet. I did make the trip to visit him prior to surgery for the consultation. If you are in Brunswick, GA then you are about 7- 8 + hours away too. Dalton , Ga is 30 minutes outside of Chattanooga, TN and about 1 hour away from Atlanta depending on the traffic! Brunswick is about 1.5 or so hours away from Summerville. I have posted on the SC forum to see if there is anyone in SC (or close). I'll post my results there.