Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone had alcohol since being banded?

I was banded 01/07/2008. Been sipping on Water when we go out since November. Alcohol isn't a big deal to me, but I was curious if anyone had an alcoholic beverage since surgery? Not looking to get wiggidy wasted or anything, but maybe a glass of wine or something the next time I go out or sometime in the coming months. I know that carbonation is a no no, so I won't be drinking any Hard Cider (which is my drink of choice). Just curious your take on the subject as fellow bandsters.

Hi:

I'm looking forward to seeing the responses. I haven't had an alcoholic beverage since I was banded last July. However, my dd is going to turn 21 in June, so I'm planning to have one or two to Celebrate. I think I read somewhere that people who've had wls get wasted easy. Make sure you get a designated driver.

Have fun.

Sue

I do drink sometimes.. It is now wine instead of beer. Just remember that alcohol will effect you much faster now and the calories in your drinks can be massive. Oh don't try doing shots!!! Hard to make a big swallow and it comes right back up....lol

SueMagoo: Luckily, since I live in NYC, drinking and driving is never an issue. Maybe you should try a drink BEFORE your daughters bday...don't want her to have to tell the story of the time she turned 21 and her mom was dancing on tables. lol. 112 pounds is a HUGE difference and I can imagine your tolerance will be completely different! Congrats on the loss!

MC Cindy: Thanks for the heads up on shots. I didn't even think about that. I just got my 2nd fill last week and boy I can tell a difference...I had been in the habit of taking normal sized drinks and one right after the other. Can't do that now. I've been forced to pay attention to the size of bits and sips...which is a good thing.

I've gone out several times and had either red wine or even a couple martinis. I try to drink Water in between and really think about how its affecting me. ITs been fine

Unrelated post to drinking with the band but my best girl friend who had gastric bypass quite a few years ago is a funny thing to watch when she drinks. Due to the weightloss plus just the way your body is with the bypass more than 1 glass of wine and she's already halfway to drunk.

I was banded 01/07/2008. Been sipping on Water when we go out since November. Alcohol isn't a big deal to me, but I was curious if anyone had an alcoholic beverage since surgery? Not looking to get wiggidy wasted or anything, but maybe a glass of wine or something the next time I go out or sometime in the coming months. I know that carbonation is a no no, so I won't be drinking any Hard Cider (which is my drink of choice). Just curious your take on the subject as fellow bandsters.

I was banded on Halloween 07, and I went out on New Year's Eve, and I went out again in the middle of February. Drank both times, and did shots, and I was fine. I'd say not a lot though because yes, the weight loss causes one to have a lower tolerance level & some less than others. I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing, but my tolerance is high enough where I didn't notice a HUGE difference but I noticed some. Plus it is the only time I've had any carbonation since surgery, and it'll be the only time I have carbonation period. Plus I don't know for sure, but my mixed drinks consists of 7-up & while I understand it's still carbonated, is it as bad as other carbonated drinks???? HHHMMM, I do not know for sure. Anyway, just monitor yourself, only you can feel what your limits will be.

I've had a few drinks too, mostly juice and single liquor drinks. I noticed a delay in the effects hitting me, it was like I would have a couple of drinks, not feel any different, and then all of a sudden it would hit me. I wonder if it is the "funnel action" of the new pouch that the alcohol isn't hitting my system as quickly because of the band. So, be careful and give yourself time to feel the effects before drinking too much! I didn't have any problems though.

I've had 3 or 4 ounces of wine once (maybe twice) per week for the last month. I have also had vodka (straight, no mixers), and found that it hits me really fast.

As others have said, the calories can really mount up fast. When I do have alcohol I am sure to add those drink items into my daily food journal and still stay within my acceptable calorie range.

I've had 3 or 4 ounces of wine once (maybe twice) per week for the last month. I have also had vodka (straight, no mixers), and found that it hits me really fast.

As others have said, the calories can really mount up fast. When I do have alcohol I am sure to add those drink items into my daily food journal and still stay within my acceptable calorie range.

You are totally right Westcoast...it'll hit you fast. Especially if you do not have a very high tolerance to begin with. Myself personally, I drink once a month when we (our group) goes to the same bar we've been going to for 17 years on the 2nd Saturday of the month (after payday) to shoot pool. And I'm NOT a light drinker. I'm not talking about a few sips, I'm talking whiskey chugging shots. HA!!! And the only difference I noticed was that it took less for me to feel some sort of buzz. But it did not hurt me.

I had a "doctor approved" glass of red wine 2 weeks post op and have had a couple more since. No problems at all. I didn't feel like it affected me any differently than before the band. I think the biggest issue is calories, so I just account for them during the day if I plan on enjoying a glass of wine. My doc agreed with my strategy!!

I have had a glass of wine every night since I have been on vacation with my relatives, as that is what they have before dinner. I have had no issues with it.

Thanks for all the responses!

Went out to happy hour last Friday and decided to try my hand at a $5 margarita. After a half of margarita, I could feel some slight effects. Definitely not making a habit of the boozing, but it was good to know that alcohol does indeed effect me a little differently than before.