Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have been reading here off and on for months. Finally went for my first appointment a few months ago. I am in Houston, TX and am going to True Results. My insurance will pay 80% hopefully. We are working on meeting their requirements. The insurance requires a 6 month doctor supervised diet. I will finish that in 2 months and hopefully be banded in May.

Hi and welcome to LBT! I am glad you decided to post after lurking for so long, we look forward to getting to know you. Let us know if you have any questions.

I have been lurking also, I am working toward my requirements and I also have Cigna. I can use a friend on here with the same insurance. I was told by someone at Cigna that most likely they will count two months with my regular doctor when she put me on Phentramene and then 4 months in a Physican directed program right after that. I am now trying to get all the other preliminary things finished so I can submit to the insurance. That will take about 2 weeks... I wish I could just get it all behind me. I still have the phyc evaluation, the gallbladder scan and the group meeting and the individual meeting with the nutritionist. All to be completed b the 17 of March. I am hoping and praying I can get the surgery during a term break in April. I am an Instructor at vocational college.

Hi, I've been lurking also. "I have an appointment mar. 31 with the surgeons nutritionist and nurse. so far everthing has gone smooth for me. My insurance, Oxford Liberty, doesn't seem to require much, only a BMI over 40 which mine is 44. i haven't spoken to the surgeons yet they want all the preliminaries done first. After reading all the problems some people have with insurance I'm waiting to hit a road bump. welcome to all my fellow lurkers, i guess our journey is truly a reality now.

Welcome to LBT!

I also have Cigna, and I started my diet plan out on the diet drug Meridia, but quit taking it 2 months into the diet plan. I was worried that they might not cover the surgery since I quit taking the medicine and that pretty much changed the diet plan I was on, but they approved it and I was banded on 1/14/08. I just thought I would pass along my experience with Cigna. Good Luck to you all!

Jessica: Congratulations on being banded. How are you doing? How long did it take Cigna to approve you? Did you do the full 6 month diet? As I said, I hope I have already met this requirement, as my regular doc saw me for 2 months and then I went into a physical lead program called "Loose it for Good" (which was a joke). I stayed there for 4 months.

I am glad to be active on this board, as I am learning new things every day. I am a bit apprehensive about this process, afraid I will not be able to eat at all or have to be sick a lot. I am strong and healthy now, but need to loose those hundred pounds, they are quickly beginning to cause health problems, such as sleep apnea, my asthma is worse and the arthritic knees are giving me fits.... :biggrin:, maybe I am not as healthy as I think...:rolleyes2:. My worst problem is the GERD. I have to take 4 omeprazol a day, my Doc says I have "silent GERD" that causes a chocking sensation.

I am on this road and I know I will need the support found on this site.

Cathy, Thanks so much! I am doing great! I am down 45 lbs and feel awesome! Before surgery I had chronic heartburn, and my joints were always achy as a result of my weight, and I am happy to say that all of these ailments are resolved as a result of just losing the 45 lbs.

I did have to do the 6 month diet plan along with all the other requirements for Cigna to approve me, and it took them about 1-2 weeks to deny me the first time, and all I had to do was get another dietary consult and send it in with the appeal and it was approved within a week or so. My surgeons office took care of all the contact with the insurance company. Cigna had originally told me that it could take up to about 30 days, but they were much quicker than that!

I had tons of different emotions before and after surgery, so everything you are feeling is completely normal. This forum has helped me tremdously with a lot of different questions and concerns I had, especially after surgery.

Well, goodluck on your journey and keep us all posted on your progress! If you have any more questions or concerns about the process or about Cigna don't hesitate to ask!

Hey everyone, I am just beginning to figure out all this forum stuff. I hav been trying to get a ticker on her...LOL.. Thanks Jessica for the words of encouragement. I really need this and am so happy to have found you!

I have PHCS insurance and I think I need to start eating as if I am banded. Everyone keeps saying that is the way to be successful - to start now.

Does anyone else have Oxford liberty insurance, and if you do are they easy to deal with ?

I have the same insurance, but I haven't dealt with them yet. I heard that if you're doctor recommends it and you meet Oxford's requirements, they approve you quickly. I hope that's right! :shades_smile:

I heard the same thing about Oxford.I go for my Nutritionist appointment 4/30 after that I can make an appointment with the surgeons. The doctors don't want to even see me until i go through all the preliminary stuff first. i can't wait to just do it all ready. BabyNicole thanks for responding. It seems like most people have a different insurance.