Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need your opinions

Someone told me I need a fill since I haven't lost anything since Dec. I don't think I do because I still get full on small portions and stay full for about 3 hours. I haven't pbed in a long time, but I hate to base whether or not I need a fill on that. I just chew very well, and know which foods are problem foods.

Everyone says if you're not losing consistently, I need a fill. I am kind of afraid because I have been overfilled and it was horrible.

What do you think- to fill or not to fill.

Doesn't sound like you need a fill, but looks like you're close to goal. Weight loss will be slower the less you weigh. Most likely you are used to losing faster and expect it will continue.

The fact that you are satisfied on small portions and stay full sounds like you're in a good place. Cutting out a small snack everyday ( if you have one) could make the difference.

It's not easy for everyone to get down to 145 pounds over the age of fifty unless you exercise a lot.

Are you writing down everything you eat and tracking your Protein?

I'm not even close to where you are, so I think you're doing great. I know how much we all want to make it to our goals. Maybe you just need more time to lose the last ten pounds.

I do exercise a lot. I usually go to the gym 6 days a week.

I do feel like I can eat more than I could a few weeks ago, but I just don't. I'll see how it goes for awhile and ask the nurse at the beginning

of March, at support group. She is a wealth of information.

Denise

IMHO I don't think you need a fill either - I don't know where people come up with this if you aren't losing you need a fill - If you have restriction you don't need a fill imho.. As you know it's really about food choices not just how much you are able to eat - For me I want to eat at least 1 cup per meal - I don't think it's healthy to only eat 1/4 c or 1/2 c per meal - that's not real life (well neither is 1 c but you know what I mean - it is a little bit better at least mentally for me )

I know you want these last 10 lbs gone and that it's very hard when you do so much work and it's not coming off.

Maybe you are at your happy weight - last month Self Magazine had an artical about happy weight - the weight that your body sets it's self to and a maintainable weight -Example - Ya I would like to be 130 but would have to strave myself to maintain that weight - but at 140 I can eat and not worry 24/7 about the exercise and every morsel of food I put in my mouth..

Well for whatever it's worth that's my opinion :thumbup:

Janet, I couldn't have read your response at a better time. I think there's something to "your happy weight". Didn't they used to call it your "set point"? I remember this from somewhere. And it rings true...when much younger, (early twenties), my body hung at 134...no matter what I did. Years later my weight tried to hang out at 142. Maybe as we age, our bodies naturally have a higher comfort range. I feel like if I tried now to weigh 134, I would be too boney, and not look healthy.

About the fills, I am with you on that. I battle the fill - no fill dilema monthly. It's a blend of REALLY eating right, and having enough restriction to stop you. If you can still eat most everything, things others have trouble with (bread, Pasta, rice, fibery stuff) and mentally must stop yourself from over indulging, a small fill will help. If you are eating all the things that by-pass the band, no amount of restriction will help.

I personally still struggle every day...good choices, a dash of willpower, and a tight fill. But I am a slow learner!

Janet, I couldn't have read your response at a better time. I think there's something to "your happy weight". Didn't they used to call it your "set point"? I remember this from somewhere. And it rings true...when much younger, (early twenties), my body hung at 134...no matter what I did. Years later my weight tried to hang out at 142. Maybe as we age, our bodies naturally have a higher comfort range. I feel like if I tried now to weigh 134, I would be too boney, and not look healthy.

About the fills, I am with you on that. I battle the fill - no fill dilema monthly. It's a blend of REALLY eating right, and having enough restriction to stop you. If you can still eat most everything, things others have trouble with (bread, Pasta, rice, fibery stuff) and mentally must stop yourself from over indulging, a small fill will help. If you are eating all the things that by-pass the band, no amount of restriction will help.

I personally still struggle every day...good choices, a dash of willpower, and a tight fill. But I am a slow learner!

Cindi

CONGRATULATIONS ON 100 LBS GONE 23_28_116.gif -

WHAT A GREAT ACHEIVEMENT !!!23_5_103.gif

WAY TO GO GIRL -23_5_111.gif

YOU ARE THE BOMB !!!7_1_108.gif

For me I have set my goal weight 160 and I'm 5'4 I will see how I look at that weight and how I feel - may try for 145 but think that may be a tad to thin - I am lucky I carry my weight very well and most people wouldn't think right now that I weight 174 - heck I'm a size 12 or 10 in my pants and I am feeling 10 yrs younger

I bet you are feeling so much better too

I don't rely on my band for the weight loss - I rely on me - it's me who decides what I put in my mouth not the band

I really try 98% of the time to eat very healthy - and I am feeling very satisfied with my healthy foods and I try and just stay away from the junk..

Keep up the GREAT WORK

- BE PROUD OF WHAT YOU HAVE ACHEIVED...

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb098&pp=ZKxdm005YYUS

The past few days I have been very hungry. I can only eat a small amount, but then an hour later, my stomach is growling. I remember

the last time I went in for a fill, half my fill was gone. My dr. decided

it disipatates after time. I wonder if that is what has happened.

I need to talk to the nurse at support group on March 11th. The main reason I don't want to get a fill is I have so much trouble getting my meds down. I can't get liquid or chewables on some things.

Janet..WOW! I woke up, just logged on and imagine my sleepy eyes seeing your wonderful support and congrats...it made me smile...BIG! Thank you! Actually ran in here to update my ticker...finally, the scales have moved! It's been a long time, and so slow lately.

Size 10 at 174? You REALLY carry it well! That's amazing...do you exercise? It's my addiction...5 days a week, 1-2 hrs each time. Interval cardio & strength/core training. On my worst "I don't wanna" days, those are my best workouts. I know from past experience that working out doesn't necessrily make me lose weight, but this go 'round, it sure is helping to reshape this ol' lady!

I'm right there with ya not "looking" my weight. There are folks (you know the ones) who tell me every day how great the weight loss looks, and that I must be getting close. Yeah, if 55-70 pounds puts me close! They can't believe I still want to lose that much more, but I do. Of course, they don't know the scale tale of this former 300 lb butterball. I think it's wise for everyone to stop obsessing numbers (myself included), and go for the "look" we want to achieve, and the healthy level we want to attain.

Denise, I'm sorry you remain hungry after eating. This happens with dense Protein too? I know that some doughy foods stop me from eating, but still leave me hungry and uncomfortable. Is it hunger, or gurgles in your upper tummy? Mine can get VERY loud lately.

I was told that over say, 6 months, the band can lose maybe .3 to .5 cc's due to evaporation. Doesn't really make sense to me, but my doc says so. But half? That's a concern! Do they back up or pull out all your fill each time to check it? Hope you get some answers soon to help you! Can your pharmacist convert your meds to liquids? Many can!

Off to the gym...everyone have a great day!:thumbup:

Janet..WOW! I woke up, just logged on and imagine my sleepy eyes seeing your wonderful support and congrats...it made me smile...BIG! Thank you! Actually ran in here to update my ticker...finally, the scales have moved! It's been a long time, and so slow lately.

Size 10 at 174? You REALLY carry it well! That's amazing...do you exercise? It's my addiction...5 days a week, 1-2 hrs each time. Interval cardio & strength/core training. On my worst "I don't wanna" days, those are my best workouts. I know from past experience that working out doesn't necessrily make me lose weight, but this go 'round, it sure is helping to reshape this ol' lady!

I'm right there with ya not "looking" my weight. There are folks (you know the ones) who tell me every day how great the weight loss looks, and that I must be getting close. Yeah, if 55-70 pounds puts me close! They can't believe I still want to lose that much more, but I do. Of course, they don't know the scale tale of this former 300 lb butterball. I think it's wise for everyone to stop obsessing numbers (myself included), and go for the "look" we want to achieve, and the healthy level we want to attain.

Denise, I'm sorry you remain hungry after eating. This happens with dense Protein too? I know that some doughy foods stop me from eating, but still leave me hungry and uncomfortable. Is it hunger, or gurgles in your upper tummy? Mine can get VERY loud lately.

I was told that over say, 6 months, the band can lose maybe .3 to .5 cc's due to evaporation. Doesn't really make sense to me, but my doc says so. But half? That's a concern! Do they back up or pull out all your fill each time to check it? Hope you get some answers soon to help you! Can your pharmacist convert your meds to liquids? Many can!

Off to the gym...everyone have a great day!:thumbup:

Cindi - I think you deseve a BIG CONGRATULATIONS - I know what 100lbs is - I know what a great accomplishment that is - I know the work that you have done to get to this place -

Yes I exercise 99.9% of the time on just the treadmil - I am up to 3.5 miles with varing speeds & inclines - I have contacted a trainer but we haven't actually talked yet - I need to work on my core strenghten and other muscels - that's my next goal - I gotta see how much it's going to cost me - and I want to learn how to do it correctly and I have been watching this guy from my treadmill for the last 8 months.

Go to July 2007 support thread - progress pictures - we have pics posted there..

I love iit when I am on vacation and can go to the gym in the mornings - but alas I have to work and can only go after work when I am tired - but I do have my Saturday mornings :cursing:

Denise,

Could you ask your doctor to do a fill under fluro? I was kinda in your same situation recently...felt like my restriction was "OK" but could maybe be a little better. He used the fluro and found that I definitely had room for a fill!! I would have never guessed it. So he gave me a tiny one... 0.2cc and it made a very big difference. I haven't lost any more weight since then (!) but I'm definitely at a set point homeostasis right now. That's not gonna change until I get my butt to the gym!

You're doing great!!! I'd be very happy at your weight! Don't push it and get too tight...that wouldn't be good either! Thank goodness we always have the option of an unfill! Gotta love that band!

Fluro would cost me about $400.00. It has to be done at the hospital as an out patient.

I can get a fill for a co pay of $20.00. I don't think I should get one. I need to just exercise my brains out. I hate it so much when food gets stuck. I got stuck on dinner tonight. That tells me I still have good restriction. I don't want to go back to that happening every day.

I wasn't as hungry today either.

For me I have set my goal weight 160 and I'm 5'4 I will see how I look at that weight and how I feel - may try for 145 but think that may be a tad to thin - I am lucky I carry my weight very well and most people wouldn't think right now that I weight 174 - heck I'm a size 12 or 10 in my pants and I am feeling 10 yrs younger

If I ever get to a size 12 I will be thrilled, :thumbup:I don't care what the scale says. I think 155 will do that for me but I have no desire to get smaller than that. Keep up the good work, you are an inspiration to all of us.:tongue:

If I ever get to a size 12 I will be thrilled, :thumbup:I don't care what the scale says. I think 155 will do that for me but I have no desire to get smaller than that. Keep up the good work, you are an inspiration to all of us.:tongue:

Thanks StLouisGal - You will get to a 12 too - I have been so fortunate imho on this whole weight loss issue - the band has been a perfect fit for me - I didn't have the baddest eating habits before surgery - I just ate too much food mostly home cooked food (lots of fried & butter) and was a total slug bug - now I eat healthy most of the time and exercise 3 -4 days a week in fact next week I am starting with a trainer:tongue: - The band is my interior motivator and with age I think I finally got it - you gotta make this a lifetime lifestyle change .

My best to you - just follow your doc's rules and you will succeed...