Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March Bandsters: MASTER THREAD

I have to say that my own MiniGoal progress has been, so far, nothing short of DISASTROUS! It's the time of year we say goodbye to our old trainees, and hello to the new ones, and there's been a series of meals to Celebrate various departures. Yesterday, I had a special farewell lunch with someone I just adore, and we did it up far too right - beet Soup with yogurt sorbet, manchego cheese and chorizo balls, yellowtail with garlic sauce, snails with green Beans, bork loin with apple puree and wilted lettuces, then peach tart. I'd skipped Breakfast (sorry, chica, if it was you who twisted my arm into Daily Breakfasting!), and had a mini dinner, but it was still a calorie hit. That said, my calorie use for the day per my bodybugg was about 4200, so I didn't put ON anything, but, STILL! I'm supposed to be focusing!

Then today I brought an abstemious chicken salad only to find that it wsa the ceremonial Last Meatball Submarine Sandwich Day. I had half a sub, and threw away most of the bread. I'm going to a concert downtown tonight; I'll walk there to use up a bit more energy.

Argh.

Tomorrow should be fine, but Thursday I have lunch with a food editor, at a good restaurant. I shall order wisely: as God is my witness, I'll always go hungry again!

All the talk about walking on the beach is making me super jealous!

It's one of my favorite places to be! I just wish I didn't have to travel 3 hours to get there:(

Amanda, congrats on signing up for a triathlon! How inspiring! Every year my boss tries to talk me into an "Iron Woman" contest.. Maybe I'll consider next time?! You go girl!

Evalas- congrats on onderland! What an accomplishment!

Fenton- Thanks for sharing that video a few pages back- that was fantastic! I really enjoyed it:)

This morning I was down another pound. 202... Which means I am officially -40lbs since surgery, and -50 from pre-op! WOOT! I am so excited. Maybe the 5 week plateau is over? *knocking on wood*

I have had such a hard time keeping on track seeing the same old "204" pop up every morning.. I am glad to see it moving along. It gives me strength to eat right when I'm questioning things. I can't wait for my fill on Thursday, I hope by the weekend I can enter onderland for the first time in over 7 years:)

Have a great night everyone! I'm off to work until 9am tomorrow. EEK!

~Kerri

How much do you all think about food. I think I'm obsessed with it. I really don't eat that much but my mind is always thinking about what to have for the next meal.

When I do eat my meal and eat less than a cup of food at a time I sort of feel cheated. My mind thinks i should eat more.

And I am obsessed with the scales too. I am up and down a few pounds during the week and it about drives me nuts when it has the higher numbers. I know some people get rid of the scale and only weigh themselves once a week I think I would go nuts not knowing.

How can I get past this.

Ronda I think you know what you have to do. Get that scale away from you. Kind of like an anorexic has to step on th scale backwards and have someone else read it. That is what my trainer does with me and just keeps telling me "its going down". Little does he know Im on the scale at home everyday.

Perhaps we need to lock it in a closet.

As for the food, well your life is really centered around it right now and having it in the forefront of you mind is only natural. How many years did you have a full dinner size plate? I think repetition is the only answer regarding your mind. Soon this new portion will be normal for you.

Hang in there.

Jonathan Im not sure if you want us to call you on the excessive menu choices or tell you it's good you're keeping track haven't gained and are aware of the pitfalls of restaurants/social eating.

Sometime I suck at this support stuff. Sorry

Annie could you be craving a certain food? Maybe your body is telling you you need something. Iron? Salt? CHOCOLATE!!!

I think you are at the point where most folks are faced with the fork in the road- Left- F*this. I suck at dieting, just give me the chocolate!! Right- I will be truly virtuous and never touch chocolate again ever in my life. Center- give yourself a bit of a treat each day that is counted in you total cals. Plan for it and accept it.

As for the bping. I've been told that if I get stuck it's liquids for a day to help relieve the inflammation around the band.

Keep your chin up(and mouth closed around the sweets) this to shall past.

Yep, I'm doing liquids until tomorrow morning, just trying to get rid of any inflammation. And i'm currently taking the center path :(

I had a little ice-cream last night, because that is what i've been craving most. I didn't go nuts, just a very small serving (about a 5th of what I would have eaten pre-band) and was satisfied.

Thanks for the support!

NO Amanda you can't take my scale away from me!

anniedub----2 thoughts come to mind: 1) sounds like you may be craving carbs? Did you eat an unusual amount of carbs recently (besides the pasta)? That may have triggered you? Or are you in a place in your cycle that may be triggering carb craving? 2) Being the psychological type I am wondering --- if there is a particular anniversary for you around now that is either sad or very happy? Anniversary grief or joy reactions are pretty common affect and behavior triggers.

Yep, you're right on the money. It's two years since my fiance and I split.

I'm trying to keep in mind that it is currently my brain sabotaging my body, not my body actually wanting these things. While I have had a couple of indiscretions involving chocolate, it was like 8 squares, whereas before it would have been the whole block. So my willpower is certainly better than what it once was, I am no longer a binge eater, and i'm just going one day at a time. Hell, one MEAL at a time. Thanks rugman :(

BACK AWAY FORM THE scale...

Actually can you go on how your clothes are fitting to gage how you are doing?

I'm not 100% sure I follow you, though: if you're PB'ing everything, is anything staying down? Because if it's not, that would explain your situation - your body is HUNGRY! Are you able to get your Protein in?

Should probably explain myself more. Was fine until yesterday lunchtime, when I decided that Pasta would be a good idea. Boy was I wrong. I was PB'ing it pretty much immediately. So anyway, about an hour later I thought I should have something else, so I had about 10 cashew nuts -- I never have a problem with this. PB'd them within about 5 mins. Then in another hour, I tried two small cubes of feta, and PB'd them in 5 mins.

So that's when I decided it would be liquids for a day to calm things down. Had a Protein shake for dinner last night, then about 3 tablespoons of icecream afterward (I rationalized it by saying that "the frozenness would help the swelling yaddah yaddah). Protein Shake for Breakfast this morning, and so far, all is going fine. It definitely feels like i'm quite tight though - I can only have a few sips of the shake then need to wait about 10min.

The mad mind hunger was pre-pasta, and pre-PB'ing. It's still there, but I know that if i try to eat any of the things I'm craving I will have stuckness and extreme pain, and that's enough of a motivator to stop me :(

So anyway, I'm doing liquids until breakfast tomorrow and i'm just going to see how it goes. I'll keep you posted!

NO Amanda you can't take my scale away from me!

Take Garfield's advice and throw it out the window! :(

No seriously. The fact that our bodies fluctuate by up to 2lbs during the day means that unless EVERYTHING is consistent (food, Water, exercise etc) there will be inaccurate readings on most days. The best thing I ever did was restrict myself to weighing once a week, because I basically forget about the "scale anxiety" until thursday evening, and I normally get a nice reward! Eg, instead of half a pound in 2 days or something similar (little trickles), I get 3 pounds in a week, and feel such a tremendous sense of accomplishment!

If you think you'll die without weighing every day, or you'll never be able to think of anything other than the scale, then just keep going as is. But maybe give it a try just once -- eg weigh yourself friday morning, and promise not to do it again until next friday morning. The anticipation will make you work harder and the sweet reward at the end will all be worth it! :unsure:

I agree about the risk of overweighing oneself, but I've been doing that quite a lot lately, mostly because I've had big enough meals the day before that I was worried I might have been affected. I also weigh myself at exactly the same time every weighing day, wearing exactly the same clothes, on the same scale.

It does drive me mad that the Bodybugg program won't let you enter a weight more than once a week. I mean, I'm fine with once-a-week entries, but I think it should let you choose the specific date you want to enter that weight!

Annie, it seems to me that you've got a good handle on what's going on and why. My money says you'll have no problems negotiating this patch...

Amanda, you're EXCELLENT at the support stuff!

I'm just talking about what's going on - if you see me start to stall, call me on THAT! But my loss numbers have been pretty good, even with the occasional indulgence. And I'm in the zone...

Today, for example, I'm well under 2000 cals consumed, and I worked extra hard and burned 5300 calories - went to a concert downtown, near Ground Zero, and walked all the way home. And that was after walking to and from work, and walking around all day, so, yeah, a busy day of calorie burning!

I'm not sure that I'll nail the 100 lbs before I go, but if I don't, I'll be pretty damn close.

Edited by Fenton

Wow I can't believe the thread is so quite today.

Guess everyone is doing fine. Which is really wonderful.

:biggrin2: