Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March Bandsters: MASTER THREAD

Ok, one last thing before I go to bed -- some advice from you Shamrocks.

I'm thinking that maybe I need another fill, but i'm not 100% sure. Here's the thing -- I'm one of those people whose restriction varies quite significantly in the course of a day.

In the mornings, I have perfect restriction. I don't get hungry AT ALL until about noon, but I make sure I eat something when I get up as routine is important. I normally have something like oatmeal, or maybe just an Optifast, and I'm having perfect portion size -- around 1 to 1.5 cups.

I get gradually looser and looser through the day, and by dinner, I am always hungry. I can eat a pretty big portion at dinner time -- like 3-4 cups! But I always try to restrict it and "diet" at dinnertime, even though I feel like I could certainly eat more.

So here is my main question -- do you guys think i should get another tiny fill to prevent the dinnertime hungries? Even if it means having to have a liquid Breakfast every day? Or do you think that if I got another fill, I would just be way too tight in the mornings? :behindsofa:

Gah, stupid variable restriction!! :grouphug:

I have a liquid Breakfast every morning, it's not bad and it is a good start on getting enough Protein. Plus, I am tighter in the morning so as long as I can get Protein shakes down in the morning I know I'm okay.

Diva, I was a die-hard ranch dressing addict. Recently I found the Wishbone salad Spritzers in a ranch flavor. It's only 15 calories for 10 sprays and it gives me a nice hint of ranch flavor without all the fat and calories.

If you are able to eat 2-3 cups at any meal I would consider a fill. I am always trying to restrict my quantity intake, and my DR said up to 1 cup at a meal was good, even 1.5 cups,, but would indicator of the need for a fill. But as we all know everyone's DR has their own guidelines.

I went for my 2nd fill last week and ended up without one :behindsofa: so I am still at 4cc in my 14cc band

Since i was still having issues with some types of food, DR said no go. So rescheduled for 7/10. I try hard to keep around 1200-1300 calories a day and my DR has boosted my Protein intake up from 64gms to around 85 grams. and that is tough to get in...

Only time will tell if I get the fill then.

WE all lose at different rates and have different lifestyles, adding to the differences in weight loss .

I think you should wait for a fill until you REALLY need one. My doc (who is banded) (and an Ozzie, btw) said "When you wake up starving, THAT's when you need to get a fill...", and I think that's good advice.

Jack, the Eminence Grise of LBT, often makes the point about learning to tell the difference between "having had enough to eat" and "being full"; it sounds to me that that's what's happening with you at dinner. You know you COULD eat more, but you choose not to, because you're losing weight.

And THAT, my dear A-Dub, is the way to lose weight, and to keep it off.

I also am a liquid breakfast person - my same holy Protein shake every morning, and I love it so.

As I've said before (or thought, but not written), I think that the shake is a good thing to do; I have this theory (probably voodoo physiology, but, there you go) that the less your stomach gets stretched, the more it gets used to being empty, and the less hungry you feel with an empty tum.

I realize that during these absurdly hot summer days, I've been eating mostly liquids/mushies - today I had my shake for breakfast, some Indian creamed spinach and cheese thing for lunch, some crab chowder with a little fresh basil oil for dinner, and then some yogurt with peach sauce for dessert. I NO LONGER NEED MY TEETH!

Very sage advice, Fenton.

Anyway, I've made an appointment with my fill doctor for tomorrow and i'll discuss it with her. She's very sensible, not just gung-ho with the fills, and if I don't end up getting a fill it doesn't cost me anything. (Even if I do get a fill, it only costs me $10).

So I'll see how I go! I'll keep you all updated!

I also am a liquid breakfast person - my same holy Protein shake every morning, and I love it so.

And so when you say a "protein shake", which I know a lot of you do, are you talking something like an Optifast? Or is this your own concoction?

If so, please share the ingredients!

I'M SO GLAD YOU ASKED!!!

Because this is one of my favourite subjects.

Actually, I'm going to cut and paste a bit from a post I made in the Men's Room (where, I can't help but note, women roam like free range chickens)!

I would like to take this opportunity to announce that I, yes I, am offically under 300 lbs. Yes, you heard correctly! 298.2. Thank you, thank you! It was an honor to just be nomiated! You love me, you really, really love me!!!!:smile2:

First of all, I would like to thank my dear surgeon Dr. Choban, who is officailly guilty of Assault and Battery on my poor, still healing Port during my second fill. I am pretty sure that she pushed it so hard that it popped out of my Azz, but hey, I still won! I would also like to thank Restriction, Good Good Restriction. Without you I would still not know that dry chicken breast, full of Protein and flavor, will move to a state of total liquidity when chewed for 17 minutes. I would also not know that siad tangy, spicy chicken breast could morph into a softball studded with Titanium nails, that likes to make camp in the middle of my chest for 9 hours. Softball of Death. Good times. :smile2::party:

Ok, I am through being a smart ass. I am eternally grateful for the help you all have given me! I am under 300, and I am in a size 22 for the firat time since I can remember. I read everyday, but do not post NEARLY enough. I vow to pass my old timer wisdom to the newbs from here on out. After all, I weight 298.2. Does that not now qualify me as an expert??? teeeheee

Luv you all, and thanks again from the bottom of my heart! I can not wait to send my next update!!!!!

Sorry in advance if this is a dup post, stupid puter went down on me. Thanks y'all!

I make a Protein shake inspired by one of the folks here - she makes hers with chocolate SLimfast Optima, a banana, Peanut Butter and Protein powder, I do mine with premade vanilla SlimFast Optima, the low carb stuff.

I have that shake down to an art! I freeze ripe bananas, so they'll always be ready to go, and keep the blender cup and blade in the freezer too, so they're as cold as possible. About half an hour to an hour before I'm going to make the shake, I stick the can of SlimFast in the freezer to ensure that the shake will be as dense and shake-like as possible - my goal is for a straw to be able to stand up in the shake, so density is key.

I also add a couple tablespoons of whey Protein Powder, and a big pinch of salt - the salt is key for flavour, I think.

It really has been a fun project, perfecting that shake. I bought an Oster Professional Blender ($75 at Amazon) that feels like an outboard motor on my countertop - that thing could blend rocks!

But the best thing is the Oster Blend'n'Go cup, an insulated 18 ounce or so cup that you use on the blender instead of the normal blender container. I fill the cup with the frozen banana, SlimFast, Protein powder and Peanut Butter and pinch of salt, then attach the blade assembly tightly to the cup, turn it upside down and plug it into the blender. You blend, and then you go! It's so great!

It truly is a miracle of modern science.

Lately, I've been switching over to the powdered Peanut Butter a fellow Shamrock mentioned. For me, so far, the jury is still out - the powdered stuff has about 75% less fat in it, but I'm not finding the flavour I liked in the peanut butter. Trader Joe's has a reduced fat peanut butter, so maybe I'll give that a shot (even if "reduced fat peanut butter" seems a bit of a Frankenstein product).

I would like to take this opportunity to announce that I, yes I, am offically under 300 lbs. Yes, you heard correctly! 298.2. Thank you, thank you! It was an honor to just be nomiated! You love me, you really, really love me!!!!:smile2:

Yeehah, BrandNewLisa!!

Congratulations! And don't give that doctor all the credit honey, YOU did the heard work and no-one else!

Annie x