Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March Bandsters: MASTER THREAD

Ha! How strange to see my real name on the board! Chica's recommendation is for my book, PRECIOUS BLOOD by Jonathan Hayes. Although around here I'm SO used to being "Fenton"!

Thanks for the congratulations in posts and private emails, all. I'm pleased about the interest, but, since the book is the first in a series of five with the main character, I'm going to be playing it pretty cool as far as committing movie rights at this stage...

Anyone interested in the book - or me, I suppose - can read about it on my website at Jonathan Hayes . Or on Amazon.com or wherever you buy books - support your local independent book dealers!

My publicist would be proud of me right now...

Hello , I just got back from the Drs. I lost 2.5 lbs .The Dr. gave me a fill today ( it didn't hurt at all ) . I had 6cc put in at the time of surgery and he put in 1cc so now I have 7cc in my band . Now I can't have anything but Water for a day, then two days of Protein Drinks ,two days mushies then back to my diet of 3oz of Protein ,3oz of salad and 3oz of veggies.

Fenton - that's wonderful news. I'm with Harley, I love to read and I love words. I just may be going to Amazon.com to purchase your book. It would be a nice diversion though I will have to put off reading it until after next May. If I am to graduate on time I cannot let anything distract me. In fact I have been trying to cut back on me being on LBT because I get so caught up that time flies by before I realize it. I'm sort of sick of school, but I know that if I simply buckle down, I can be finished and moving on to my next goal - whatever that may be. I've been in school for so long, I'm pretty sure it won't be me taking any kind of serious classes. In fact, I have said that after this, I am concentrating on my baby's education.

On another note, I broke down and weighed myself at work. Last week it had me up in weight. Today It has me down past where I was when I weighed in with my doctor. Who knows what that means - except both my home and work scales went down. i can't wait until 5/12 when I can weigh in with the surgeon. I'm not changing my ticker until then.

NSV - I retired my first pair of pants. They truly are sagging and too big - that may be mostly because they were cheap - but heck I'll take any victory I can legitimately get!

Teri and Fenton – Congrats on your weight loss this week!

I feel my port too. I usually feel it when I am walking – like after I have walked past my comfort level. I just push through it and keep going. The pain usually doesn’t last long or becomes so dull that it’s not bothersome.

Congratulations Fenton! I am a nurse and was an ED nurse for years so I may find your book very interesting!!!

I'm at a standstill :tongue_smilie: and don't really feel much of a difference with my first fill last week of 2.5 cc's in my 10 cc band. I have another appt in 4 weeks...

Feel like I could eat much more than I do. Started exercising at the gym which feels pretty good. My goal is to go 5 times per week for treadmill and weights.

Its a challenge. I too put away my size 20 away...yeah!!! and Have gtten into shirts and pants I couldn't get into last year so that's exciting

The weather has improved as does how we feel. Here's to spring!!!!

Congratulations Fenton!! I am so happy for you. I do mean the SV and the NLBV.

Congrats to all on your weight losses this week. The scale did not move for me this week and I am looking forward to my fill tomorrow.

Christine

I haven't posted on this thread very much, but now that I'm all caught up...

Fenton - congrat's on your new book!

Harleygirl - I feel like we're old friends

podski - I would love a long island tea ~ it has been too long!!!

Scrappy - congrats on making that darn scale move!!!

And to all of you with snow ---- who forgot to tell the weather man that it's April for goodness sake!

As for me, well... this ride has been a roller coaster. I did really well right out of surgery. I was up and moving on day one. Then I had a little air issue and was readmitted. Turns out I'm an "air swallower" and must watch how I breathe. So, one NG tube and a few pills later and I seem to be better now. I still feel the need to get the air out, especially if I eat too much.

Speaking of which... my appetite found me this weekend. But, it isn't physical hunger (most of the time) it's mental. I feel myself spiraling out of control. Today, I ate WAY too much. I had 2 regular pre-op meals. NOT GOOD.

I go to the dr. on Thurs. but it's not for a fill, it's just a check up from my little hospital adventure. My doc is pretty strict about timelines and such, but I'm going to beg him for a fill. I'm five weeks out tomorrow, so I'm hoping he'll give a little. Otherwise, I have to wait until May 8th because he's on vacation and then I'm a teacher and we have TAKS testing for a week (no chance of taking off then). UUGHHGGGGGGHHHHH!

I bought 5 candy bars today - didn't eat them, but I bought them. HELP!

Carrie- flush the candy!!! Throw it away. Give it away. Get away from the chocolate. NOW

Carrie, you have to dump the candy. I made my kids get rid of all their Easter candy, because I was eating it. I know you just bought it, but you must get rid of it.

This is bandster hell. I've been hungry since 2 weeks post op. I go for my 1st fill tomorrow. I hope you can get one soon.

Hugs!

Christine

I hate my arms......holy shit....I put on a cap sleeve shirt today and I guess I found where I've really lost the weight....I look like a flying squirrel.

UGH....guess it's time to start workin' it.....

Harley go to the range with a BIG caliber gun. That will work those arms.

Jon/fenton Five book series? I can hardly wait. Don't be shy about blowing your horn, for the book or weight loss.

To all that have a bite here and there. Isn't that why you got the band? So you could still enjoy your life? Conscious eating, just don't stuff things in mindlessly.

My friend is trying to get me to do yoga. The last time I did it my hands got so sweaty I almost broke my nose when I slipped off the sticky mat. It is supposed to be good for the body and mind, even gentle. Anyone want to weight in on the topic?

I've never done yoga but I just finished Richard Simmons' 80s Blast for the first time. For my level right now I thought it was perfect. Easy to follow yet really made me sweat. I was able to finish feeling good and not completely dragging. All I've been doing is walking so this was a nice change. My doc said no weights or ab workouts for 3 months. The workout is only 30 minutes so it will be perfect for me in a few months to follow up with some weights.

Thanks again, all.

Carrie, yeah, you've got to get rid of the candy. Don't let it sit around until you're able to rationalize why it'd be alright for you to have just... one... bite... Because you'll take that bite, and it'll be good, and then you'll rationalize another bite, and once that's done, you might as well polish off the whole bar, and once you've polished off the whole bar, what the heck, why not polish off the other four?

If you MUST have chocolate, break off a piece of One Bar, THEN THROW THE REST AWAY! And throw them in a way that can't be reversed - don't let yourself have the option of rationalizing digging them out of the garbage! Throw the rest of the chocolate away, then sit at a table, and eat your piece of chocolate focusing on its flavor.

And afterwards, accept that you've had a calorie bump, and figure out how you're going to take care of those calories. A long walk? Perhaps some weight training? Half a chocolate bar is, what, 100 calories? Not the end of the world. Just don't set yourself up for failure by stocking up on temptations.

How much did the surgery cost you? If insurance paid for it, not in money but in time, and worry, and coordinating all those pre-approval visits and info sessions and researching on the net. You have expectations and goals, and you'll be able to meet them if you just keep your head in the game...

I know you've had a rough ride so far, but don't let that stop you embracing this lifestyle. A tough week or so doesn't mean you get to blow your life away on crap.

I've been thinking about yoga.....or belly dancing....

I took a yoga class years ago and i enjoyed the mind/body connection....the teacher was amazing. She was in her late 60's and was just stunning and so flexible.....wish I would have stuck with it!

I LOVE yoga! I haven't been doing it for about the last 100 pounds. But my plan was to start on March 17. However, March 17th rolled around, and I found that, after working with weights for a while, just doing some upper body and chest work, I found that I had some really sharp pains around my port.

So I've decided that yoga - and possibly weights, particularly anything that involves tensing the abdominal muscles into which the port is sewn, should probably wait for me.

Generally, though, by about six weeks, your body can form pretty tight scar tissue - broken bones heal by about six weeks, which is why you get to get rid of your cast at six weeks. So I suspect the surgical site is pretty well healed. But I don't want to stress it, particularly after reading texgirl's doctor's comments, so I'll take it easy. I know at this stage, far from tearing out the port, the bigger worry is weakening the abdo wall near the port, and risking a hernia developing at the surgical site - and I don't want THAT, either!

But when you DO start yoga, you'll find it's great. Calming, centering, and even good for you physically! You really feel good. I would recommend starting with the Rodney Yee DVD A.M. YOGA FOR BEGINNERS. It's a simple, non-stressful 20 minute routine, ideal for beginners, a good introduction to yoga. If you like it, and practice for a while, then you should take a yoga class.

In NYC, particularly in my neighbourhood, there are yoga studios on every corner. I think someday I'll do it in a group again, but until I'm at a less worrisome weight, I'll just do it in my loft.

Besides, the cats find it highly entertaining.

I've not been in many yoga studios, but they're pretty good about being non-judgemental, and about working with the limitations of your body. It's fantastic exercise, but it also makes you feel really good.