Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March Bandsters: MASTER THREAD

Hello march bandsters my name is Tammy and i am going to get banded on the 28th.I am very excited and nervous at the same time.They are getting me in pretty quickly. I had my first appt to talk about the band at the end of Feb. and less than a month i'm having surgery, but i did have to wait two years for tricare to start approving the surgery. I must say though i love the idea of having this support all on one page. Great idea!

Hi Tammy,

Welcome to the March, 2008 bandsters. It is good to have you. I am being banded a little before you. It is a very exciting time for me. Wow a month to get from the appointment to surgery, that has to be some kind of record.

well, read on this thread for an education. There are some interesting posts!

Hi fellow Shrinking Shamrocks! I was sick for 6 days before I had to start my 2 week liquid diet! So my 2 week restrictive diet became an almost 3 week diet! :confused2: I really WANT some food! Anyway, anyone else on the 27th?

Hey, Kettering - are you English?

I was ill right up to my start date for the liquid diet. Indeed, I delayed going liquid for a couple of days because I was worried I wouldn't get enough Protein to support my body's fight against the infection, so I did a 10 day liquid pre-op, instead of 14. Worked fine!

My sisters and brothers: AH HAVE SINNED!!!

I cheated a little while ago. I went to walk and to buy a sleek new fire extinguisher, and dropped in on a friend who owns a restaurant. Long story short, he complimented me on how much weight I'd lost (he hasn't seen me for about a month - I was really pleased he noticed - he used the expression "Whoa! You've lost a s**tload of weight, my friend? You been dieting?"), and we sat to chat. He had the kitchen make us some bruschetta (Italian toast topped with flavorings); I gummed the toppings of mine, but even so, they weren't as smooth as they should be at this stage! No way I'm getting pureed chicken livers with balsamic vinegar, or ricotta with lemon zest and toasted hazelnuts up through a straw!

So, yeah, a slight slip. I feel OK, though, and don't tend to repeat that.

I just thought you'd want to know!

First off-

I too have that sharp feeling below my port. I asked the Dr & he said that it is very common and the muscle they worked on/through runs up and down so the little bit of muscle that was cut isn't yet supporting the muscle below it. Just take it easy, he said.

Second-

I had a bit of a melt down last night. It all seemed to hit me. I may never eat regular again. I now have surgical scars on a body that had never even been to a hospital. I mean Im having BIG time doubts about this and I can't change back. It's not like ANYTHING Ive ever done before. I had this thing put in. It was my choice, Im the only one to blame. I really did a lot of research before the surgery but nothing could prepare me for how Im feeling. I was really thinking about making myself puke so it would slip and have to be removed.

I know this is not what you guys want to hear but It's how Im feeling. I think Im getting depressed.

I really shouldn't be complaining I get a good nights sleep. Ive been sleeping on my stomach since the first night in the hospital. Drinking my 5 meals getting all my Protein. Not getting enough Water, but whatever. Going on walks with the DH to get exercise. Im not really in pain, just discomfort.

I wish I could be more psyched about this but right now I'm just trudging through the day thinking I've made the worst mistake of my life and pissed at myself for putting my family, body and mind through this.

First off-

I too have that sharp feeling below my port. I asked the Dr & he said that it is very common and the muscle they worked on/through runs up and down so the little bit of muscle that was cut isn't yet supporting the muscle below it. Just take it easy, he said.

Second-

I had a bit of a melt down last night. It all seemed to hit me. I may never eat regular again. I now have surgical scars on a body that had never even been to a hospital. I mean Im having BIG time doubts about this and I can't change back. It's not like ANYTHING Ive ever done before. I had this thing put in. It was my choice, Im the only one to blame. I really did a lot of research before the surgery but nothing could prepare me for how Im feeling. I was really thinking about making myself puke so it would slip and have to be removed.

I know this is not what you guys want to hear but It's how Im feeling. I think Im getting depressed.

I really shouldn't be complaining I get a good nights sleep. Ive been sleeping on my stomach since the first night in the hospital. Drinking my 5 meals getting all my Protein. Not getting enough Water, but whatever. Going on walks with the DH to get exercise. Im not really in pain, just discomfort.

I wish I could be more psyched about this but right now I'm just trudging through the day thinking I've made the worst mistake of my life and pissed at myself for putting my family, body and mind through this.

Aw, Amanda, I think many of us will go through something similar post-op. It's a part of the bandster hell, methinks.

I've done a lot of reading on this board and other articles as well and have found that many people are able to eat most of the foods they had pre-op. The difference is that many are now eating 1/3-1/4 what they consumed before.

Sure, there will be some foods that won't agree with the band. It may be due to consistency, lack of being thoroughly chewed or the bite wasn't small enough.

This is a tough adjustment period. Honestly, I have days (off and on) where I feel *exactly* as you do. What have I done? Why did I do this? I just want a frickin' cheeseburger or steak already!

The truth is that there is so much more to most weight problems than Portion Control. I look at this period as a way to heal my body but also try and cure my mind of what triggers my bad eating habits.

From what I've seen, it does get better. We're all here for you and cheering you on. When things feel bleak, take a look at the before and after pictures or try and figure out mini-goals for yourself so that you can reward yourself for your hard work and lifestyle change.

I am confident you can do this. Please keep us posted on how you're feeling. I know that I, for one, will try my best to listen and/or advise the best way I can. In helping others, we also help ourselves. :)

Andi you're really sweet, thank you.

I was bitching to my sister a little while ago and she told me to go post on the boards. Get support from those that are in the same position.

I just never thought of myself as weak and this thing has me pinned to the mats.

Andi you're really sweet, thank you.

I was bitching to my sister a little while ago and she told me to go post on the boards. Get support from those that are in the same position.

I just never thought of myself as weak and this thing has me pinned to the mats.

You're mourning......as I think most of us have or will.

Our relationship with food is what got us here.....and now that relationship has to change. It's almost like a divorce......a food divorce.

Let yourself mourn and go through what ever you're feeling. Once the weight really starts dropping and your new, more beautiful body starts to emerge, your energy levels start climbing, whatever medical problems you may have related to the weight start to subside.....you will realize that it was a toxic relationship with food and changing it was a good thing!

You're in my thoughts......and I'll expect a similar pep talk in a few weeks when I hit the wall!

XOXO

Thanks HarleyGirl

I have to find out where my inner cheerleader wondered off to. she was going strong until a few days ago.

I'm still have 4 days till my surgery and im having this uneasy feeling in my chest. It's not really pain and I think I have it most of the day. Is this heart problems, just stress, heartburn? My guess it's probably stess from worring about this surgery what do you all think I should do?

Awww, Amanda! I'm sorry you're feeling down.

But you're focusing on what you've lost, not what you've gained. And you're not even focusing on what you've REALLY lost! You're worried about some scars (which will eventually be tiny) on your tummy, when your tummy is in the middle of a body that was 110 pounds overweight!

As the weight goes off, as you become healthier and healthier, as you find your energy exploding, as you find yourself doing things and going places you haven't done or gone in a long time - if ever! - then you'll remember WHY you got your lap band. And when you do, the sacrifices you've made will seem trivial. This band will give you your life back.

Having your life back may require you to make some adjustments - at whatever reason, for some sneaky internal reason, we've managed to make peace with being fat, so we probably were gaining some value out of it, instead of being so horrified by what we'd done to ourselves that we lost the weight immediately. But, speaking for me personally, I'm tired of being a reclusive fat person, hiding away from the world at large. I don't want to worry about bumping into old friends, into old girlfriends, and seeing their shock and concern about how much weight I've put on. And I don't want to lie around, wondering when this coffin of fat I've put on is going to kill me.

These are reasons why I decided to have surgery - five little cuts is NOTHING to me if that's the price to flay off this fat, to set me free again.

Please stop asking yourself WHY you did this. Instead, ask yourself why you got fat? Why did you do that? How could you do that to yourself, how you could you make your heart work like that? How could you make your friends so sad? Don't you care about your life?

And even if you don't know the answer, I do. You DO care about your life, your heart, your partner, your body. I know that because you chose the lapband.

You chose LIFE!

Now hang in there. Your scars will heal, your eating habits will settle, you'll start feeling better, your weight will continue to drop off, and YOU will emerge - the real you, living a real life, not hiding away inside your body.

You're going to be better than fine!!! Just hang in there, and tell us how you're doing.

And, above all: NEVER FORGET YOU'RE A SHRINKING SHAMROCK!!!

Rhonda, you know your own body best. It sounds like stress, but if it's a real symptom, you should talk to your doctors about it so they can reassure you.

When's your surgery date? Are you worrying about it?

Also: Amanda: are you sure you're getting enough food? I'm wondering if part of your momentary despair might be related to insufficient calories or protein...