Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March Bandsters: MASTER THREAD

NSV, I got ignored today! I work as an Onsite Recruiter with my firm, which basically means that I get people work. Which in this economy means that I am contacted by people every second of every day.

I was working remotely at my firms office instead of at my client based office today, when a guy came in to register. He is the best friend of one of my best friends, we have known each other for years, but have never been close. I recognized him immediately, and smiled when I saw him. He looked me dead in my face, said "Good morning" and then sat at the testing computer. Ten seconds pass, and he stops typing, and looks at me and says "Oh sh*t, Lisa???". He actually didn't recognize me! One of my coworkers recently told me that if he had known me previously, and hadn't seen me in a year, that he would walk right passed me on a crowded street. I didn't believe him, but evidently he was not lying! Yay for the little things!

Amanda--

Wow! That IS a coincidence! Well -- it popped into my head and I started Googling on it the other day. Read everything I could find. Even went into the Medline abstracts and focused on studies for women--especially older women. I found all positives on it. Seems to be good for everything from increasing metabolism--increased bone density--increase balance--decreases hip fractures and falls---increases muscle mass---increases weight loss--even improves posture. I have searched on this board and found VERY little discussion on it. I did see posts by 1 woman who said she used it and lost only 9lbs in a few months but when she went back to do a post-vest body mass analysis with her MD -- and compared it to a pre-vest analysis her MD told her she gained 10lbs of muscle and lost 19lbs of fat. Prior to that she was at a plateau for quite a while. So I'm very hopeful this will help.

I got my vest at Walmart for $46. Although there are a lot of options out there--people seem to be saying that many of the brands can be uncomfortable. Oddly enough--the best reviewed vest is actually the Gold's Gym one at Walmarts (for the price). It takes 1lb weights up to 20lbs and even has a place for an MP3. Did your trainer recommend a particular weight? I saw on one site to start at 5% of my body weight. Some say go up to 10% or 15%. Others say 20%. Some wear them while working out. Others (including some of the medical research I have read) used it all day during regular activity. It looks like men who are building their bodies and older women who are just trying to lose weight and tone up are doing very different things with the vest. My problem is I can't find any good instructions regarding weight, duration and activity levels for it. Can you say more about what your trainer told you?

It definitely makes me hungry -- although I have been good with eating. I think I'm already seeing a differece in both strength and weight.

Edited by Desdemona

Back from my visit with my surgeon.

I was down eight pounds since my last visit....and especially since it was over the holidays and winter, she was pleased. I, of course, would like to have seen more....but it was my own damn fault.

She tweaked my band with .5ml and I can feel a difference, so things will start moving now......esp if I can cut intake and keep on the exercise path!

I'll be picking out swimming suits in no time....HAHAHAHA....now THAT is pure torture.

HI guys,

I'm not sure if any of you remember me, it's been a while since I've posted. My name is Carrie and I live in Houston Tx. I'm also a Shrinking Shamrock. I've been following this thread off and on for the past (almost) year - gosh it's been almost a year!!! I feel kinda like a stalker because I've read about you guys during your journey, I feel like I know you all...

There are several reasons why I've stayed off on the sidelines, but the biggest one is that my band didn't work for me until October. I'll never forget the date, October 6th, because in some ways, it is more important to me than the day I got my band.I didn't get any restriction at all until the doc filled my band to 10cc's. Then finaly it worked. It was a miracle. I've lost 47 pounds since then and I love my band!!! I didn't want to post on this very positive and supportive sight with all of my failure, so I stayed away. Now I feel the need to share, and say congratulations to all of you!! WOW - you guys have lost some serious weight!!

FENTON - 100 pounds.

I have to admit... I'm a little jealous.

Now, I feel a little bit like and intruder, or the 3rd wheel on a date, but I also feel like I'm talking to friends.

I'll tell you a little about myself, then maybe you won't feel like I'm a stranger.

I live in Pasadena (suburb of Houston) TX and I have 3 kids. I am happily married, and I teach English to 10th graders. I'm 37 years old and will be 38 in April. I lead a fairly uneventful life... I teach and I spend time with my family. I teach a night school class on Mondays and Wednesdays, and I'm currently using that as an excuse not to exercise. "I don't have time" is my favorite answer. I'm beginning to realize that it's just an excuse though and that I will have to eventually get off my shrinking rear end and get to the gym, or I won't shrink any more.

Since I've started to lose weight, I've begun to feel like part of the club, and you guys are an inspiration. I want to say thank you. Even though you may not know it, there are those of us out there who read the things you write and we are motivated to make this work for us too.

I'd really like to see some pics and put names to faces, where might I find those?? I'd also like to use them for a little push to get my butt to the gym. As soon as I hit 50lbs, I'm going to post some pics somewhere... just not sure where yet.

Well, I think I've said enough for now... I'll check back in soon.

And thanks again to all of you ... you don't have any idea what your posts do for those of us "on the sidelines".

Edited by lafsalot

Thanks for doing the math, Fenton.....that sounds pretty effin' good to me!

Feeling pretty confident in this adjustment.....I've had a crystal light and a couple of Protein shakes today....and I'm pretty content.

WooHoo Fenton!!! Congratulations!!!

Carrie...good to see you have found restriction and are doing well. I too have to get my act together with the excersize side of things.

Harley...glad you got your band tweeked. It's nice to not be hungry.

I see the GI doc tpmprrow. Hope to have my endoscopy scheduled soon.

Christine

Hey, Carrie - how great to suddenly discover another chatty Shamrock almost a year later! Great news on your band finally getting in gear.

Maybe a good first step for the whole exercise thing would be to get yourself a pedometer; I picked up an Omron one from Amazon.com and it's amazing. Notice how much you're walking, and see if you can increase that. if you're living in TX, you probably do a lot of driving, but perhaps there are ways you can walk a bit more: you'll find that seeing how many steps you've walked each day will help push you to walk further. I always walk a minimum of 3 miles a day...

And you should think about joining us on our Friday weigh-ins.

Christine, I hope they damn well sort out your issues tomorrow! It's been too long with this stuff...

Hi everyone,

I was reading your thread and find the friday weigh ins enticing. How are you guys doing with this?

It's pretty straightforward - each Friday, we force ourselves to get on the scales and then announce our net loss (or no change, or gain) for the week. When we hit a particular milestone (25, 50, 75, 100 etc pounds lost), we add that behind our weight.

All of these are charted in a separate thread, the Shamrocks Friday Weigh-in Thread or something similar title-wise; this Master Thread is more for talking about stuff (even crowing about our loss).

If you weighed in last week, just weigh in Friday and let everyone know how you did - to the victor belong the spoils...

Hi All! long time no post...

Fenton - CONGRATULATIONTS!!!! I am so happy for you to hit your century mark!!!!

Harley - 70% to goal... I am so envious:)

I have been reading, trying to keep up with all of the postings... lots to Celebrate NSV's all over the place. Kudos to all!!!!

I have had some life changes going on the past few weeks...back to school part time while working full time has been quite an adjustment itself!!!! Then, just to complicate things... my MIL had another health crisis she went unresponsive while on dialysis, ended up low HR and low BP and deteriorated enough to need the assistance of a ventilator and transferred to a large heart center. Ended up with a pacemaker and fortunately was able to be weaned off of the vent. This left her weaker than ever and is currently in an acute rehab unit at my hospital. Nothing brings out the FUN in family dysFUNction... like a crisis.

I was so not eating right the last week and not going to the gym... just couldn't find enough time. But, this is a new week and I am determined to get on track...went to the gym last night and I need get back into the groove and make better choices. I haven't gained anything this week, but also haven't lost. I have had a few PB episodes from not chewing well and eating too fast, so I need to get that under control too.

Thanks for listening!!!

Good Morning all you Bandsters

Tess I'm sorry to hear about your MIL. Hope she has a speedy recovery.

Fenton, thanks I'll definitely weigh in on Friday. And a very very happy congratulations on reaching the 100 lb milestone. Great work.

Sorry to hear about your MIL, Tess.

My MIL is very fragile health-wise, so I feel your pain.....esp the dysFUNction part!

Hi Carrie---

It's terrific to see you back. I was really pleased to read about your successful transition. It just goes to show how determine you are and how well you can keep working at something until you get the results you want. Many of us have also found other "sticking places" for us. Your post reminds us that if we hang in there -- we will get through whatever we are struggling with. Thanks -- and welcome back.

Tess---

Yes. You definitely have had a "lot on your plate" re: stress and time. Like Carrie --you are an inspiration to keep on truckin'. This board is great. We do a lot to help each other here. Thanks!