Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

LapBand Fills - Doctors vs Nurses

HI Everyone:

I love nothing more than taking an hour each night and going through this forum. The information is invaluable, and the support is phenominal. Kudos to every single one of us for taking an active role in bettering our health. I know that I have certaintly had some struggles on this journey, but WOW:lol: what a journey it has been.

As I read through the forum, time and time again I come across individuals who are frustrated with their band, and the negative results they are experiencing. Some people, talk about falling off the Band Wagon, and are worried about jumping back in ... but fear what the doctor is going to say to them. Others, never did fall off, and have stayed on the wagon, but they too feel ashamed to visit the doctor for a much needed fill for fear of the negative criticism (sp) that they are going to be subjected to.:blushing:

My heart goes out to all of these people. Which is what brought me to start this thread. My fills are NOT done by my doctor, and instead I go to a RN who does the fills out of her home. I am not weighed, I am not questioned, I do not visit .... I simply lay down, pay the cash and get out.:wub:

Now I know that some people might jump in here and ask me about accountability if there is none, by not seeing a doctor. But I say this .... I paid the $20,000.00 and this is about ME. If I wanted to be held accountable, then I would join Weight Watchers to attend their weekly group. I have struggled with my weight my whole life, and just because I have a piece of plastic wrapped around my stomach .... does not mean that I have changed all of my old ways. I struggle constantly ... physically, emotionally .... I did not have the banding done to be shameful or guilty. Every month I learn new things about my band ... and every month, I start to see one more positive result that I had not seen the month before. Be it big or small.

I am rambling here, and going way off topic, but It makes me furious that these people who are so down and frustrated are even made to feel this way. It's time to make this a FUN journey, instead of a depressing one. It's time to enjoy all of the neat things that come hand in hand with this tool. You are missing out .. plain and simple. And it is the Dr that is making you feel this way.

My advice, check out another person that can do a fill for you. I know with mine that there are some risks associated without ever having fluoro, but $75.00 with no bullshit attached just seems to be an awesome deal to me. PS. To date, I am up to 11 fills. The nurse allows me to come whenever I want. If I wanted to come every second day, she would gladly give me 5 minutes of her time and take my cash. Now that is just ridiculous, as a person would not truly go that often. But you can bet your bahooti, that I am lining up on a weekly basis .....

:unsure:

I hear ya Bandvirgin!

It is beneficial to be aware of some of the problems that can occur with the band you can't be stupid or naive, you need to be informed and to make an intelligent decision, but I think it is as important or maybe even more important to hear of the positives! It is so encouraging to hear the good stuff, it makes me feel like "I can Too!!!"

I was banded in Mexico, so really have no follow-up here, but I was aware of that and accepted that before I set out to get banded. I have a fill-nurse here which I will see for the 1st time on saturday.

I'm certain that I will have down days, problems etc... but am confident that the good will out weigh the bad! The outlook often predicts the future!

sometimes, I read postings that are so negative about the surgery, the Dr. etc... that had I discovered them before the surgery, I would not have done it, and feeling how I feel now, that would be tragic! Cuz it is going well for ME! And I'm sure that it is going well for a whole lot of other folks out there too. Lets be positive! We've all enlisted on this life-changing, life-giving (in some cases), and lifetime journey, lets make it a good and fun one!

Just curious - As a self pay did your $20k not come w/any after care such as fills / followup? I get a years worth of free fills (self pay myself), after that they are $100 & I can go every 2 wks - nothing sooner.

If the nurse you see is working for ya, more power to you...not necessarily something I'd do - but it's your cash, your body, your decision...

My surgeon has never done my fills. His PA or a nurse does it. I am asked basic questions about my hunger and quantity and types of food I can eat and we decide if a fill is needed. So far, I have gotten a fill at each visit.

I don't want to be overtight, but I know some people want to be really tight so they lose faster and I think that is one of the concerns for a Dr's office because being overtight can lead to problems and then who is called to address the problems... right... the Dr's office.

I think if we have reasonable expectations and speak maturely and honestly to our provider (be that the Dr or a nurse) then our medical needs should be addressed properly.

The doc did my first fill. OUCH! It hurt like heck and I was afraid to get another. My doc does not do them all the time.

The nurse at my clinic does them all day long, she is much better with them.

IN my case, the nurse is actually much better!

My 20,000 did not include anything. Surgery, nothing else. No hospital stay, no hotel, no flight, no taxi, no aftercare, and certainly no fills. I am on my own here, and to be honest, I don't mind. 12,000, 15,000, 20,000 ... it's all too much, but I was that desperate, and am quite happy that I went ahead.

Jack: Sorry for my ignorance here .... but I did not understand one thing that you said in your post. Im confused ..... can you break your post down for the average grade 12 graduate with no post secondary education.:rolleyes2:

Wow very expensive. I was self pay in the Northeast region. $17800 included surgery, one night in hospital and aftercare with fills.

I must say that's the most for the least that I've heard of - That's a lot of money w/zero aftercare or fills, very sorry for that. Not sure what part of the country your in - or where you had your surgery - I do wish you well however. :rolleyes2: