Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low BMI-Can I Get the Lapband

I have a low bmi of 28.8 (195 lbs, 5ft 9in). I am self-pay and would like to get the lapband. I do not have any health concerns. I had a baby 6 months ago (my 4th!), and I really want to lose the 50 lbs that I have gained over the last 3 years having babies! How should I go about finding a reputable doctor in the US who will do the surgery for me? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

don't think it can happen. I'm going to mexico because I cant get banded in the USA. my bmi is 34 the lowest my surgeon would band is 33 BMI.

I'm not sure you can find a U.S. doctor who will do the surgery for that low of a BMI. It's not because there's anything wrong with it but the FDA has regulations for when the surgery is allowed. The requirement is a BMI of 40 or above or 100 pounds to lose or a BMI of 35 with co-morbidities such as diabetes, sleep-apnea, hypertension, etc. That said, my BMI was right at 35 with no co-morbidities and there was never a question that I was a candidate (also self-pay.) I just don't know if a doctor would go with a BMI that low.

However, the best thing to do is to call around and ask. Another option is Mexico, where they are not bound by FDA regulations. Read up about it on this board -- many members were banded there by excellent surgeons, some of whom trained the U.S. doctors! And it's less expensive.

Good luck!

They are right....the FDA requires a minimum BMI...but Inamed, makers of the lapband, don't.

So if you must have someone in the USA do it...you may be out of luck. But good luck with your search.

Surgery is a big step and at your height a loss of just thirty pounds would make a huge difference. Have you considered following one of the pre-op liquid diets for a couple weeks and then follow it up by joining weight watchers to help you learn to keep the weight off? Drink an Atkins shake for b'fast and lunch and have grilled chicken and a green veggie for dinner.

Most of us gain weight during pregnancy, but surgery is a big, permanent, expensive step to go through.

You can also go the lapband route down the road. Good Luck.

I've gotta agree with shortgal. Do you really understand the changes you are going to have to go through for less than 50 lb? I'm not talking about the surgery; the surgery was a snap. I'm talking about the daily effect the band has on your life. Sometimes I just wish I could eat a sandwich, but I can't. Not even a quarter of one.

I'm not complaining about the band. I was 80 lb overweight, headed for 100 again as I was a few years ago. I would not give up my band for anything. But there is NO way I would have done this to myself over 30 to 50 lb and wihout the fear of severe health problems stemming from obesity. Really, try something else.

I had my surgery with a BMI of 30. I had to go to Dr. Ortiz at OCC in TJ mexico to get it done. There are some doctor's in the US that will do it. I went to a seminar in Orange County, CA and I did qualify with no cormobities. They just required a BMI of 30. The problem was that it was 18k. I had it done in December with Dr. Ortiz for 8500.00. I couldn't be happier at this time. I a only 2 lbos from my first goal of 166. I am going in for my 2nd fill next week. Just do your research and don't exclude Mexico as an option. Mexico was a good choice for me as it is only a 2 hr. drive from my home. I know there is a doctor in AZ that will do the surgery for low BMI'ers also.

I know it has been a while since your post, if you haven't made any final decisions yet, consider Mexico. My husband and I were banded by Dr. Alberto Aceves in Mexicali. The experience was fabulous! The whole staff was sooo nice. They explained everything ahead of time. Each staff member came in individually to meet us and explain their role in the surgery, recovery and nutrition. EVERY time we walked into the hall way we saw someone mopping the floor. Very clean and very accomodating! They even took a bed from one room (very comfortable) and a couch from another (even more comfortable) and put them in our room because both my husband and had our surgeries 1 day apart. I liked the bed in my room, he liked the couch in his but they didn't fit in the room together well so they put them both in another room. They sent us home with detailed reports of our surgery and included xrays. I have never been so informed or taken care of in a hospital as we did in Mexico. If you do choose to do the band, don't waste your money in the US. You'll pay twice as much and may not receive as good of care. Good luck! PS I have a low BMI as well, 32 I think. I need to lose 50 pounds. Everyone thinks Im crazy for getting the band but so far I've lost 14 pound in 3 weeks and couldn't be happier. My husband had about 100 to lose and he's lost 29 in 3 weeks! We don't regret a single thing!

The thing is, I was once a mildly overweight person with a BMI of 28 for years and years and years. I was miserable about my appearance, I coudlnt wear what I wanted, I was fat. Not as fat as I got, but I was still fat. I was always going to get fatter and that's precisely what I did once I started having babies.

I think its a real shame that the very bare minimum is 30, but you have to draw the line somewhere and many people with a BMI of 28 ARE capable of losing the weight and keeping it off.

Its down to personality types and the cause of weight gain. Arguably, when you've just had a baby six months ago, you're yet to normalise and resettle, and you've had big changes to your lifestyle that gradually can be overcome. But if you KNOW that you really have eating problems and its almost certain that you WILL become obese in the future, then a lapband would certainly be as beneficial for someone with a BMI of 28 as it would for someone with a BMI of 38. I always ate well, but I always ate too much. But if you've gained a lot during pregnancy and its taking a bit longer than you want for it to come off, but you basically eat normally then its probably too drastic a step.

If you could find a surgeon that is, Australia generally is more liberal than the US but you couldnt get it done at that BMI here.

If you decide to use a doctor in Mexico make sure you can find a local doctor that will do the fills. I have read some people have had real issues will that.

I just joined this web site today so I notice that your post is from a few months ago. You may have already done something, I would love to know what you decided. I have a BMI of 28 also and I am considering the lap band at the bajanor hospital in Tijuana. I personally know people who had it there and loved it. I emailed them and they will band at a BMI of 29 and up since it's all self pay. I would love to hear from people who were BMI's of 29 and got it done.

I was able to get my lapband surgery on March 30, 2008 despite having a low bmw (around 29). I got my surgery in Houston, Texas. I considered Mexico, but really wanted to stay in the US. I was self-pay. I am so pleased with my lapband! At times it's difficult, and I've had to force myself to throw up when I ate something that I wasn't supposed to (like donuts), but I need that type of restriction. It forces me to have a good diet that pretty much excludes bread, potatos, rice, beef, fried foods, and other foods across the board. I primarily eat a diet that is full of fish and other seafood and fresh fruits and vegtables. I have already lost 25 of the 50 pounds that I want to lose. I now have a BMI of 26. At this rate, I should reach my goal weight within 7 months of having the surgery, and then it's on to my tummy tuck! I also know that I can keep these 50 pounds off forever, unlike with other diets.

Check out

Dr. Terry Simpson in Phoenix Arizona. My BMI is 30, I want to lose 50 lbs. My surgery date is scheduled for July 29th. He does quite a lot of low BMI lap bands. Google him, he's got a great web site.

It's now been a little over 6 months since I got my band, and I am so happy with it! My goal was to lose 50 pounds, and I am happy to report that I have already lost 38 of those pounds! I only have 12 pounds to go! I am confident that I will reach my goal before the end of the year!

Starting size: 12/14 (USA)

Current size: 6/8 (USA)

Goal: 4 (USA)

I have a BMI of almost 34. The nurse said that my body type does the best because no fatty liver, diabetes, etc...

Saying that though, I have to pay out of pocket. I am not going to Mexico to do it but from what i heard, if you pay out of pocket it doesnt matter your BMI.....

Maybe I am wrong?

Good luck to all