Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kaiser - Northern California?

I was wondering about some things with those of you who have Kaiser N. CA.

I heard that there are 3 different facilities doing LBS and depending on where you are in N. CA depends on where you go. Can you tell me where the facilities are? I know of SF but that's the only one I hear of so far. I'm actually in central CA but am in the N. CA group.

My GM sent me a referral to the seminar which is next month. Is that enough to start the process or does he have to refer me again after the seminar? It kind of happened fast so I feel like I'm playing catch-up and not sure what the game is!

What happens after the seminar? And what happens at the seminar? I understand it's a general gastric surgery seminar and they talk a lot about GBS. Do they spend just as much time talking about LBS? About how long is the seminar? I have a sitter but I had to tell her that I didn't know how long it would take, add to that, I'm also driving an hour each way to get to the seminar.

How long are things taking? Do you have to do all of your appt.s at the facility that you're doing surgery at or do you do some of it at your local facility?

Thanks in advance for all of your help. I'm nervous and really like to know what's going to happen before I get there. This is something I've been thinking of for awhile but never really thought my GM would actually help me with it.

When I was in to see him last week, we were talking about it and I told him how frustrated I was and actually started to tear up {I hate doing that!}. Asked him what he thought about LB and he asked if I've really thought about going that route and I said yes. He looked at his BMI chart and the fact that I'm over 40 BMI and starting to have problems {already on diuretic for BP, knees are making noises they shouldn't and I'm almost 40 yrs old}, said I'd be a good candidate for it. Anyway, his nurse made a reservation for me for the seminar before I left the office so I'm going to go and see what's what. Am I supposed to get something in the mail before the seminar? I just thought of that.

Thanks again.

Welcome!

I have Kaiser also. I have no information about the Fremont campus, but from what I can gather South San Francisco seems like the most attentive facility. It sounds like most folks on this and other web sites have a very positive pre- and post-surgical experience there. Richmond is extremely over-burdened with patients and is rather impersonal (but that's just my opinion and, unfortunately, experience).

You have to have all your appointments at the Kaiser location that is doing your surgery. You cannot switch facilities mid-way through the process unless you want to start all over from the beginning. It is a very long and frequently frustrating process.

Take the time to seek out the Kaiser location that feels right for you and form your own opinion. We each have our individual thoughts and experiences, so what may have been a diaster for one person might have been a walk in the park for another. Once you do some research and consider your options, I'm sure you'll make a wise choice.

Best of Luck!

Thanks! I'll take a look at the three and see what's what with them. The way things have sounded so far, they split up the region for the three facilities and you don't get to pick which one you're sent to. I might be wrong, that was just my interpretation.

Did you get any paperwork or anything in the mail before the seminar? About how long was it? I have to drive an hour each way to the seminar and I'd like to give my sitter an idea of about how long I might be gone.

Thanks again for your help.

I had mine at Richmond, Dr. Judith Parks her and the surgery team rocked. The Case manager Liz can be a bit of a pain. But she knows her stuff. I feel I got well taken care of.

Hi I had my lapband done by Dr Park in Richmond CA on 9/30/08. I can only tell you how it goes in Richmond. I went to the all day seminar (bring food and water) they don't feed you.. Anyway, that was May 26, 08, once I completed that, they make 2 appointments. One with a surgeon and one with a physciatrist. Each appt is about one month apart. Hopefully you get your surgeon appt first, she will tell you to loose approx 20 pounds before surgery. So 3 months later you will likey get an appointment to go to a group meeting, it was very similar to a weight watchers meeting. Once you have lost your 20, you can call for an appt for a case manager. The case manager will schedule you for your surgery. YOU CAN NOT GAIN EVEN AN OUNCE OF THAT WEIGHT BACK. I have to say, I often wondered if the snails pace of appointments was actually to discourage me from the surgery. They give you lots of time to decide if you want the surgery, and which procedure you want.

I chose the lapband because there are less restrictions on the foods you can eat. I guess you have to be realll careful with sugar if you have the other procedure. I also heard that you may loose a little slower on the lapband. This was a plus to me, because I wanted my skin to have a chance to shrink back up. If you loose to fast the skin sags.

Anyway I started my adventure in May 08 and finaly had the surgery 9/30/08. I think I lost the 20 pretty quickly so it wasn't me that slowed down the process, it was their appt schedule that kept me from having the surgery sooner.

Hi I had my lapband done by Dr Park in Richmond CA on 9/30/I have to say, I often wondered if the snails pace of appointments was actually to discourage me from the surgery. They give you lots of time to decide if you want the surgery, and which procedure you want.

I wouldn't be surprised, actually. I'm pretty sure that's why many insurance companies require a 6 month doctor-supervised diet.

I also heard that you may loose a little slower on the lapband. This was a plus to me, because I wanted my skin to have a chance to shrink back up. If you loose to fast the skin sags.

Actually that's a myth. :smile2: But I hope you don't get lots of saggy skin either way. It's kind of the pits to lose a lot of weight and then still not feel good about your looks. :thumbup: