Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Concerned and confused

:confused:I am planning to have lap-band surgery in May. I am now going through the supervised diet. I told the Doctor I wanted banding because of multiple colon surgeries even though he suggested gastric bypass because of my BMI being 52. Have any of you out there with a BMI over 50 had substantial weight loss?

Yes, you can do it......... I'm now at 46 lbs lost @ 8 weeks....... I have to updaate my tracker..... I was able to get a fill on Feb. 5th but my doctor and I opted not to since I was losing very, very well and I have restriction and my own control over my eating at this point in the game plan...... I started out with a BMI of 64. My next appointment is 3/04/08 and I still feel good restriction and eating on plan. I'm not sure if a fill (my first) is even going to be needed yet!! I'm losing like crazy..... I'm almost three sizes smaller in pants and went from 5X to 4X's and they are starting to become way to big on me already. I had my surgery 12/17/07. Yup no Holiday gain that year for once in my life... LOL. It can be done and the results are amazing....... I LOVE MY BAND!!! Pick up your chin (my case triple) and belive in yourself and the band will work wonders for you. It works and I'm and all the other bansters here are proof it can be done when you work along with the band and your surgeon's requests. I thought how can I do this when food is such a HUGH part of my life. Eating all the time and thinking I'll go crazy with out it....... OMG it's just a complete turn around, I eat but far, far less and I don't feel a bit crazed that I can't eat large amounts at one sitting....... I feel free from the jail I walked into so many years a go........ I knew I was innocent I just didn't know how to prove it.......... But I now have!!

This can definitely be done! I wasn't quite 50BMI . . . but darn close. I'm 57 and I had surgery 12-3, and I've lost 46 lbs (including the two week preop diet) since then. My knees are better, my hip, my back . . . I'm not walking with a cane the way I was in May . . . and I'm going to keep on this program . . . the best thing I EVER did! You can do it! Best of luck!

Chris

There is a spot on the board for people with a bmi over 50. Go to the area on the board where it says how much you need to lose.

There are a lot of people who have lost down to their goal who had more than 100 lbs to lose. There are so many people who have decided on lap band because they didn't want their insides rerouted even though they were advised to get the gastric bypass.

Charlene K

Would you please explain to me what a supervised diet is and what process you are following? I have to follow one for six months supervised by a doctor and a letter summarizing the process won't work. I would very much appreciate your guidance with this question.

I am going to Dr. Garth Davis at Methodist Hopital in Houston. The hospital has a weight management center that I must attend for 3 months to meet the requirements for insurance. I am on a 1400cal diet. I journal my three meals and a snack each day. Then once a month I attend a meeting with a nurtritionist and give her the journal which will eventually go to the insurance company. The doctor wants me to lose thirty lbs before surgery in May, but so far I have only lost fourteen lbs. I will go on a liquid diet two weeks before surgery and should be able to lose the required amount. Now this is the requirement for my insurance. All insurance companies have their own requirements. Hopefully, after all of this I will be approved.

That's so cool. I love him on Big Medicine on The Learning Channel

That's so cool. I love him on Big Medicine on The Learning Channel

Yes, I am blessed to live close by the medical center. Dr. Garth and Dr. Robert are as nice in person as on the program. They really have a passion to help people in our situation.