Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else in WEEK 4 Post-op??

HI there... just wanted to check in and see if there was anyone else in week 4 post-op... I was banded 1/31 and want to track my progress with someone who was banded around the same time to see if I am healing accordingly... feel good, but starting to get heartburn again..concerns me a little... incision are sooo itchy!! Other than that, no MAJOR complications thank god... what about you???

Okay, well, I was banded Feb 5th so we're about 5 days apart - I go for my first fill on March 11th-- and I'm at the what I call the mushy/soft food stage - I'm actually feeling like I could eat anything. I don't - YET - but I even ate a piece of VERY toasted wheat bread with chicken salad over the weekend with no problem.

What about you?

Hey thanks for getting back to me!! I have been moved onto soft solids... so I am pretty much eating whtever my family has etc. but just very small portions and I chew it soooo long! I did over-do it a couple nights ago... i don't feel full when I am eating so it is hard to just stop at 1/2 cup of food total...the feeling of "fullnes' comes about 15-20 minutes later... but in the meantime I feel like I can eat a horse!!! I ate too much last week at dinner and just felt very uncomfortable...just tightness and discomfort on my left side... so I backed down to liquids again for a day. My weight loss is slow, I think I am about 15 lbs. post op... I lost 15 pre-op so a grand total of nearly 30lbs.! Are your incisions driving you crazy? Mine are all soooo itchy and still tender!

I'll be 4 weeks out tomorrow. My incisions are itchy, too, but not too bad. For the last week, I've been putting Vitamin E on them, and that's seemed to help. I was told not tp put anything on them early on, to keep them free from infection. But the skin is all closed up nicely now, just itchy, so I figured it was probably ok.

No real problems. I was on mushies about 4 days after surgery, and for the past 2 weeks, I've been able to eat anything. I'd say I eat about 3/4 to a cup--heavy on the meat and veggies, low on the carbs. I'm hungry a lot--mostly in the afternoons at work. By dinner time, I seem to be more satisfied. On weekends when I'm home and moving around a lot, I don't feel hungry much, so part of my hunger is probably mental. I go in for my first fill on Friday, and I'm hoping that will help. I'm down 18 lbs total, about 12 lbs since surgery. Slow but steady. I keep reminding myself that that's the fastest I've ever lost weight, and that seems to keep it in perspective. I've been walking and biking, but hope to have the go-ahead to work out my intensely after Friday's appointment. I do find myself having a hard time getting all the liquids in. I used to drink a TON of liquids with meals. Now that I don't, it's hard to remember to get them in between.

I have a question for you newly banded ones. I am working my way through the pre op apts. right now, but I'm wondering something only you can answer. What did you feel like when you awoke from surgery. I've had surgery before, I don't mean the usual, I mean how did your stomach feel? Or did you even feel anything unusual? Did you have a tightness in your throat? A tightness in your chest? Nauseous beyond the usual post general anesthetic problems?

Hi there -- I was banded on 2/1, so we are just a day apart. I'm down about 25 pounds and feel good, actually eager to work out. I am on normal food now, with a few restrictions (red meat, bread, salad, etc.). So far, no issues with hunger, but I am anticipating it soon, my fill is not until mid-March. I went through the itchy incisions, Vitamin e helped alot!

Regarding the feeling post op? I did not feel anything different, in fact, I kept trying to look at my incision to make sure something happened (until the drugs wore off). I noticed a feeling in my stomach the next day when I had broth and felt full after three spoonfuls.

I, too, didn't even feel the incisions at first--had to reach up and feel the padding around them to make sure I even had anything done. Woke up just fine--actually felt great.

A little later (pain meds must have worn off a little) I had a pretty sore throat and the gas pains began in my shoulder. I went from about a level 3 pain (0 being none and 10 being out of your mind in pain) to maybe a 7 or 8 for a few minutes here and there (just because of the shifting gas that liked to gather in my shoulder), but walking around helped that.

I was discharged about 4 hours after surgery, and I walked around all night, returned calls to friends and family, and basically felt like nothing had happened. Liquids went down really well--popsicles really helped the throat, as well as a throat spray. The next day, I was sore in the afternoon, but I think that's because I overdid it a bit in the morning walking a lot (and yes, even dancing a bit---apparently pain meds make me a little hyper!)

The next few days I was tired, but it wasn't too bad. I think I was a little scared to resume normal life. Was able to shower every day starting the day after surgery with no pain or discomfort.

You'll do fine! Good luck and keep us posted!

I was banded Feb. 1. I haven't had any issues with my scars, in fact they're healing quite well. I started putting neosporin on them the minute the steri-tapes came off, and now I'm using a scar revision cream. They're fading quite nicely, and mostly flat. I go for my first fill in two days. I'm a little nervous, but excited because I am having problems with hunger for the first time since surgery. I hope it will make a big difference.

I have not had any issues with the surgery. I don't feel bad or hungry. I had my surgery on February 12, 2008 and today is my first visit back to the Dr for a follow up. In total I've lost 32 lbs this month, 2 weeks pre-op full liquid diet and 2 weeks post op full liquid diet. Since the surgery 2 weeks ago, I've lost 15 lbs. My scars are healing very well. I hope this helps you.:biggrin:

I was banded on 1/31 also! I haven't had any problems with heartburn...even though I did before surgery. I am probably eating too much...and not the right stuff! But I have my first fill on March 6th. I'm nervous about that but hopefully I just won't be hungry after that! I'm having a hard time adjusting to chewing, chewing, chewing and slowing down, but I hope all that gets better after the fill!

Hey everyone...I was banded 1/30/08 and feeling pretty good. I'm at the point where I should be able to eat solid foods, just scared out of my mind to venture beyond fish, cottage cheese, and humus. I am terrified I will throw up and that is something I don't want to do! I'm down 27 lbs since surgery and my first fill will be next week. I'm nervous about the fill also.

Good Luck to everyone!:biggrin:

When I woke up in the recovery I had a very hard time keeping awake. They took me back to my room but dont even remember how I got there. I slept all day. After the surgery and went back home the my primary MD said she had called the Surgeon and told him she thought I should stay over night. We had a motel the night before the surgery and the night of the surgery so my daughter and husband could stay there. They were afraid that they would release me too earlier. But I made it and I am feeling so good. Glad I had the surgery. I am now on pureed foods and will be on soft food on the 22nd before my first band adjustment.