Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Everyone hates 'the band'

Hi Everyone, hope you are all ok.

I just thought I'd give you an update >

1. I cancelled the band operation on 29th Jan (thought i knew better)

2. Started a 'NEW DIET'

3. Lost 11 pounds

4. Have been binge eating for the last three weeks.

5. Have put back on some of the weight

6. Very depressed and angry at myself

7. I've re-decided to get the band done

I HATE diets I think they should be banned they make you feel terrible and most of the time you always fail, leaving you more depressed than when you started out. I really think kids should be taught NOT TO DIET at school, and I think you'll agree that dieting is just a word that describes the fat depressed angry and endless state you're in (well done anyone who has completed a diet and kept the weight off without taking drugs that mess up your body and your mind)

Gosh that was very negative!! Oh well I've had it with all the diet crap and I've decided that the lapband is the ONLY way forward. At least with the lapband I will be able to loose weight safely and I won't be able to yo-yo or take lethal slimming pills that make you go crazy.

I am very scared about the operation but I am even more frightened about my life being wasted in my fat state.

Anyway so getting back to the title of this thread, I can't understand why people hate the idea of the band? My friends and family are genuinley against the whole procedure and most of these people are bigger than me!!! I suppose they are just not educated enough on the band, I really think that the band is a good idea but I'm lacking so much support from people closest to me - including my mum :lol:

These are the people that will half starve themselves and take speed like diet pills to get through the day. I think I am just going to have to bite my lip and go it alone. Anyway this site is excellent and if anyone wants a chat just send me a message.

Lauren xxxx

It's hard, I know, Lauren to go it alone. Think of this though, only one person lives in your body. As the tenant you get to decide how it is managed. :thumbdown:)

Maybe you can find a support group that meets on some sort of regular basis. Many surgical groups have them here.

Hi Lauren,

Congratulations on your decision to go forward with the lapband.

With that said, I want to be very honest with you. I'm doing so, not to discourage you, but to give you a realistic view of what is in store for you the first few weeks... and I'm sure others will then be able to offer their experiences of life beyond that.

The lapband is an incredibly wonderful tool. You'll read that over and over and over again in these forums. Just like any tool... unless you use it properly, it won't work. An important note with the lapband is that it may well be many weeks (or even months) from the time you have your surgery until the lapband becomes a fully-functioning tool. Again, those with lots of band experience say that finding their "sweet spot" of good restriction without negative effects can take many fills and/or adjustments (unfills). In fact, depending on your surgeon, your band may not have any fill whatsoever until several weeks after your surgery (allowing time for everything to heal).

After the initial 2 or 3 weeks with the band, you may find that you have little or even no restriction. This can be very frustrating and many many people gain back weight that they lost during the pre-surgery diets. Some people who go into the surgery with unrealistic expectations even fall completely off the wagon and never recover. Others go on binges, but eventually get 'hold of themselves' again and go on to get fills and, ultimately, become successful.

Those who go into the surgery with realistic expectations know that during the time of little or no fills that they may experience what has come to be known as "bandster hell". That is, they don't have a fully-functioning tool and are, essentially, doing nothing more than dieting... as they have dozens of times before in their lives. They may hit plateaus and the scale may not move at all. They may be hungry much or all of the day, even right after eating a meal. The difference for these people, however, is that they know and believe in their hearts and minds that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. If they can only get past the tough times... that they will be rewarded with much better times ahead. They look at the success stories of those who have come before them and rely on their support and comfort to get them through the rough times. They know and realize that the band will not keep them from gaining weight or stop them from eating too much. The band cannot stop them from yo-yo'ing. The band cannot make them eat the right things. The band can and will, however, eventually (sooner for some.. later for others)... help provide restriction so that they feel full faster.. and stay full longer. It won't stop the 'head hunger' and cravings. It won't heal their inner child or help them get revenge on a cruel world that hates the obese.

Thousands and thousands of people have been successful with the lapband. You'll find dozens and dozens who regularly post here on these boards. The things that you'll find in common with all of them here is that they 'used and continue to use their tool', but don't rely on it to do the hard work. They all worked through the difficult times when it felt like their bands weren't even there at all. They know that their fight with obesity may never truly be over. They know that maintaining weight loss is often as hard or harder than it was to lose the weight in the first place. And finally, they don't sugarcoat their experiences with the band. They are honest and upfront about the hard work that it took to be successful.

Again, I wish you the best of luck on your surgery and look forward to meeting you on the 'other side' of band land!

West Coast Fat Guy --

You are absolutely correct -- what a great post.

Lauren --

I have to diet - to be successful with the band -- some days are easier than others. But the hardest time I have is when I have gone off my proper eating - because of the mental - "oh I can have just a little of this and that -- I have done so well -- I hardly have eatten anything all day -nothing goes down very well - let me have some ice cream; starbucks frappacino..." (you get the idea) Trying to get back on the "Band" wagon once been off is hard - and takes dedication! (IMO)

I am not trying to discourage you -- but give you the real life expectations as well.

It is the best thing I did for myself. But I was scared that I couldn't live the band style (Low carb; no soda's) - so 7 mos prior - I tested the diet and lost 50lbs - and the 7 mos after surgery - I lost 46lbs. -- It is a tool - that is all.

BEST WISHES ON GETTING BANDED!

Lauren,

If you had gone through with the band back in January, you might always be thinking that you could have done it on your own with more willpower. I am glad that you canceled if you were not 100% sure that you wanted to be banded. So, you gave dieting one last try. Don't be depressed and angry. This last diet made you see clearly that banding is something you DO want for yourself.

Having said that, I too agree with the previous posters. You must be committed to your band, or it will NOT work. Based on what I am reading from your previous posts, if you can't stay on track with the pre-op diet, then you really may not be ready to be banded. If you don't follow your doctor's orders post op, then you will cause your band to stretch, or worse yet, slip. My suggestion would be to try the pre-op diet again on your own to see if you have the will power to make it work before considering banding again.

Best wishes, and keep in touch with us.

Think of this though, only one person lives in your body. As the tenant you get to decide how it is managed. :eek:)

That is great! I'm so going to use that line! LOL

Lauren, I'm pretty much in the same boat with you. I'm doing this pretty much by myself, well I should say totally by myself. My only friend is in CA, the 2 people at work I did tell at work look at me like a freak now and both said, "oh your funny, you don't need it, just stop eating". :blush: My husband dosen't want me to do it and if I'm in any pain or discomfort after surgery I need to make sure he dosen't know about it because he'll think/look at me like "I told you so", or "you didn't have to do it you know"! Won't say it out loud but I know his looks and the way he thinks!:thumbdown:

We are here for you and joining the hospital support group or somthing like that will help a lot too I'm sure.

You would not be the first person on this board to have family members do everything in their power to discourage you, then do an about face and want the surgery themselves when they see it is successful. Read....research.....plan on working hard......and do it!

Prove it to yourself---------prove it to them!

The band IS a tool. So is a shovel---I can dig a hole without a shovel, but having it sure makes that job easier. Having my band made my job of losing weight much easier.

Now with that shovel you can lightly scoop away at the dirt, and scratch the ground----letting the shovel do all the work---OR you can get behind it, apply your foot in the proper manner and work together to make the job easier.

Same with the band. If you plan a healthy diet, and plan some activity into your life--it will be a much easier go with the band! Plus if you plan say an exercise class, it will put you in contact with others concerned for their health and put you in a positive frame of mind. Something it sounds like you are going to need to keep up with. Too much negativity is not good for anyone!!!

The band has not always been easy-----but it HAS always been easier for me than going it alone, and it HAS always been worth it!

You have been given great advice, it is good you re-examined what you want from the band, and can go to it with positive thoughts.

Sad to say----but I think my "I'll show them!" attitude would carry me to goal!!!!

Kat

I am spose to be in bed, but real quick just in reference to people hating the band (as per the end of your post)... everyone in my family loves it cause it's made me healthy and young. I can walk walk walk all over town without dying now. They love it, cause I love it! My friends don't love or unlove it.. they are happy for me, but I don't think they care lol.