Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So many feelings and such

Hey guys!

I have some things that are gong on with me, and I am sure I am crazy.....Many things in my life are changing/have changed over the past couple of years. I lost both of my parents on 05/06. The stress and grief over that has caused my lated gain, which is why I have opted for banding in April.

I guess I am feeling scared about my new identity to the "world" as not a fat person. I assure you I am excited about that--don't get me wrong. I have always been a fat guy, and to not be fat is new for me...Am I crazy, or just being obnoxious? I feel anxiety about that. Can anyone share their thoughts? I am a psychotherapist and perhaps I am just reading too much into this.

Also--some technical questions:

1. Since I have been on the slim fast, I have had the runs--is that typical?

2. In terms of the fills, I know I am not will not be filled until like month after the banding. Do you feel hungry during that time, like prebanding? Why do they make us wait?

Any help you could give would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

Joe

Hello Joe...let me see if I can help a bit...

I guess I am feeling scared about my new identity to the "world" as not a fat person. I assure you I am excited about that--don't get me wrong. I have always been a fat guy, and to not be fat is new for me...Am I crazy, or just being obnoxious? I feel anxiety about that. Can anyone share their thoughts? I am a psychotherapist and perhaps I am just reading too much into this.

With the band you'll lose quite a bit in the beginning but, normally will lose anywhere from 1-2 pounds a week. That's what my surgeon wanted for me and said was the norm so that's what I have to base this on. Since the weightloss will be gradual you'll become quite used to getting smaller and feeling smaller a little at a time so I think you won't have so much anxiety about it as you're moving along. Just switch that thought of the "non a fat person" to you'll now be a healthier person. I saw no comfort for myself in being that fat person or the fattest person in the room so the losing process has been very positive for me and I believe it will be for you as well.

1. Since I have been on the slim fast, I have had the runs--is that typical?

Some people have a difficult time with certain liquid drinks. Sounds like you might have a lactose intolerance or perhaps your sensitive to the sugar substitues used in some of these slim fast drinks. I don't have a problem with slim fast but, I do have friends who have. You should check for a lactose free one or switch to a different liquid Protein drink. Some folks can't have whey or Soy so you might want to check around for others to try. You really shouldn't have the runs...it's your body trying to tell you "this isn't for me".

2. In terms of the fills, I know I am not will not be filled until like month after the banding. Do you feel hungry during that time, like prebanding? Why do they make us wait?

In regard to fills, if you read around posts on this website you're going to find everyone's doctors has their own specific schedule. So the best thing for you to do is ASK YOUR bariatric center/surgeon. For me I didn't receive my first fill until 8 weeks after surgery. Reason for waiting.....the first 8 weeks are ALL about healing. Its going to take 8 weeks for your band to "set" in place and the stitches inside to heal. If you eat solids too fast or get a fill too fast it puts too much pressure on your stomach and that can cause the stitches to not heal properly and those hold the band in place. You don't want that band to slip because that brings a whole different set of problems. So listen to your doc, follow the stages of eating (usually Clear liquids, full liquids, mushies then solids) and of when to get fills and how much in each fill and you'll do great.

Hope this helps.

Sherry

That does help. It is really an identity change.....a GOOD one, but change nonetheless. I really appreciate your honesty. This is so exciting for me. I count the minutes till I am banded. I just have this "fear" if you will. I am silly!

It's not silly to have the "fear" my friend. Oh believe me I went through alot of changes in mood, feelings about the surgery etc. Three days prior to surgery I was bawling my eyes out thinking why the heck did I have to do this to my body to lose weight. Why couldn't I just eat less, exercise like I'm suppose to yadda yadda. I finally came to the conclusion that I've tried all those things and it didn't work because why........after a few weeks I hit plateaus so blew it eating again. The band was going to and has kept me from doing that :) I wish you the best!